Behavioural & dominance issues, please help 🙏

NickynWinny

Apr 12, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Good evening, I'm a newbie here and was wondering if I could have some advice about my winston please ��
So Winston was originally my boyfriends dog but due to his busy lifestyle he didn't feel he was giving him the stability and commitment he needed so now he lives with me and my children but sees my boyfriend regularly, over the past 2 weeks or so winston has been getting progressively more aggressive with my boyfriend, going over for a cuddle but acting quiet intimidating towards him and growling ����
Yesterday he very nearly bit my boyfriend when he tried walking over to the side of the bed knocking him to the floor and stood on top of him until I pulled him off ☹
Today winston half acted like he was half climbing on the sofa next to my boyfriend but didn't pull his back legs up and just stood there looking at him, when he then tried to nudge him down he snapped and caught my hand and drew blood ��
Winston hasn't bitten any of my teens but has become a lot more nippy with them ripping quiet a few clothes.
This behavior has started and progressed so quickly that my boyfriends concerns are that he could end up behaving towards my teens in the same manor.
Iv created an ubreakable bond with winston �� and the thought of him being no longer in this family doesn't bear to think about so any advice would be greatly appreciated in helping him master the art of being nice to people ��

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=20197]NickynWinny[/MENTION] how old is Winston n did your boyfriend get him as a pup?

Basically he’s revenging himself losing his master to you. He’s seeing he master with you at your house. He’s showing his master, you, you’re teens who’s boss which is definitely Winston. It’s working. Why is BF allowing as you said “ bed knocking him to the floor and stood on top of him until I pulled him off” like wait....he allows that? This is not Winston‘s fault but your BF. If he can’t n won’t control his own dog n leaves it to you...big mistake right there. You n BF absolutely need to be in control of Winston especially BF. As soon as Winston starts taking over, BF needs to confront Winston, grab him and put him in his place. BF needs to show Winston who’s alpha. This dog will eventually go after your children if he’s not corrected. Just a question of time. You BOTH need to train Winston in classes. Definitely neither of you can do this on your own. You need a professional trainer. SORRY if I sound harsh but you have a loose cannon on your hands. I use to train dogs many yrs ago, I’m telling you, either you BOTH take over Winston alpha issue or put him in a home as you also mentioned “This behavior has started and progressed so quickly that my boyfriends concerns are that he could end up behaving towards my teens in the same manor.” Your BF totally has zero control. Not rocket science here, take control, get Winston n yourselves in training classes or place Winston in a new home without children. :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
N

NickynWinny

Apr 12, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
[MENTION=20197]NickynWinny[/MENTION] how old is Winston n did your boyfriend get him as a pup?

Basically he’s revenging himself losing his master to you. He’s seeing he master with you at your house. He’s showing his master, you, you’re teens who’s boss which is definitely Winston. It’s working. Why is BF allowing as you said “ bed knocking him to the floor and stood on top of him until I pulled him off” like wait....he allows that? This is not Winston‘s fault but your BF. If he can’t n won’t control his own dog n leaves it to you...big mistake right there. You n BF absolutely need to be in control of Winston especially BF. As soon as Winston starts taking over, BF needs to confront Winston, grab him and put him in his place. BF needs to show Winston who’s alpha. This dog will eventually go after your children if he’s not corrected. Just a question of time. You BOTH need to train Winston in classes. Definitely neither of you can do this on your own. You need a professional trainer. SORRY if I sound harsh but you have a loose cannon on your hands. I use to train dogs many yrs ago, I’m telling you, either you BOTH take over Winston alpha issue or put him in a home as you also mentioned “This behavior has started and progressed so quickly that my boyfriends concerns are that he could end up behaving towards my teens in the same manor.” Your BF totally has zero control. Not rocket science here, take control, get Winston n yourselves in training classes or place Winston in a new home without children. :yes:

I totally agree with you regardless of the harshness, but he isn't like that with me?
I also agree he's no control but more I take that into consideration it could be the fact of being shocked by the way winston has acted on these occasions and has been taken back by his behaviour with it being so out of character for him.
I was recommended training classes prior to this thread but I just thought maybe that these kind of dog lovers could lead the way a little so I just have more understanding of Winston and what he's thinking.

OP
N

NickynWinny

Apr 12, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you, I'm going to start implying these rules ay home today

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I totally agree with you regardless of the harshness, but he isn't like that with me?
I also agree he's no control but more I take that into consideration it could be the fact of being shocked by the way winston has acted on these occasions and has been taken back by his behaviour with it being so out of character for him.
I was recommended training classes prior to this thread but I just thought maybe that these kind of dog lovers could lead the way a little so I just have more understanding of Winston and what he's thinking.

Don’t matter what breed, a dog is a dog. Some will behave as a charm n some will push their weight trying to take over. This is where the owners need to take over n the whole household needs to be on the same page. If he doesn’t do it with you cause he knows it won’t work. But yes definitely do take classes. Plz let us know how it goes :yes:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Good that you ask for help and that you see that this is an issue that needs to be corrected. I know it is not unheard of that male dogs at some point in their youth/early adulthood start testing boundaries and eventually may turn on their owners and that it then is important to be prepared and to act quickly so the situation does not spiral out of control. A good trainer will be able to help you, but it is also important that all humans in the house behave in a consistent way and that the family situation is calm and predictible so that Winston knows the rules and routines and so that he can relax instead of assuming the alpha/tough boy role.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Behavioural & dominance issues, please help [emoji120]

Thank you, I'm going to start implying these rules ay home today

Get all on same page, same rules and words. Bulldogs can be very stubborn, more because they don’t care about pleasing— they are a companion dog not a working dog that looks to please— bulldogs contemplate what you are asking is worth doing ... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Get all on same page, same rules and words. Bulldogs can be very stubborn, more because they don’t care about pleasing— they are a companion dog not a working dog that looks to please— bulldogs contempt what you are asking is worth doing ... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God I’m laughing cause it’s so true lollll

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
God I’m laughing cause it’s so true lollll

Right??? Lambeau looks at me like, are you seriously thinking I’m going to do that? :rofl: Banks was worse, her look was like death

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
This dog is not long to take over the house and start bossing new Alpha around. Then it will be misery for everyone. I HIGHLY recommend NEVER placing into a new home a knowN BITER, which this dog is.
This dog has it in his mind that he can get what he wants by snapping/biting...bite inhibition is lost...rarely to be re-gained. Call in a trainer NOW before things spiral out of control.
NEVER let him back on any furniture or on a bed.
Keep a 4' lead on him at all times until his attitude is thoroughly adjusted.
I recommend a Martingale collar(the kind that slips over the head, without a plastic snap). Snaps can fail. Have trainer adjust the collar so that when cinched it will not slide over the head.

FWIW...Just a wild guess here...
He's 2-3 years old.
He's in tact.

OP
N

NickynWinny

Apr 12, 2021
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
This dog is not long to take over the house and start bossing new Alpha around. Then it will be misery for everyone. I HIGHLY recommend NEVER placing into a new home a know BITER, which this dog is.
This dog has it in his mind that he can get what he wants by snapping/biting...bite inhibition is lost...rarely to be re-gained. Call in a trainer NOW before things spiral out of control.
NEVER let him back on any furniture or on a bed.
Keep a 4' lead on him at all times until his attitude is thoroughly adjusted.
I recommend a Martingale collar(the kind that slips over the head, without a plastic snap). Snaps can fail. Have trainer adjust the collar so that when cinched it will not slide over the head.

FWIW...Just a wild guess here...
He's 2-3 years old.
He's in tact.

Thank you for your reply, the lead idea and slip over collor is in place as I feel I have more control of him when he starts to be a pain, and it seems to be working, we are taking it day by day and I deffinatly feel like some control is being regained.
Also keeping commands short seem to he having an affect and he's listening more.
We are waiting on a trainer to get back to us as I feel this is the best option for winston ��
Yeah your correct with age and being in tact ��

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Yeah your correct with age and being in tact ��
His hormones are raging right now...he's doing what is in his engineering. The training can temper that but already being behind the 8-ball...I recommend that you consider altering him. That will stem the flow of testosterone although it may take several months for the hormones to subside enough to notice any difference.
GL with your BF and his/your boy!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.