Help Needed! My bulldog won't walk

guy2001

Apr 4, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Hey there, I have my English bulldog for 2 years already and for the first year of having him I didn't have any issues. This year it's really hard to walk him as everytime I try to take him outside he's just pulling the leash and doesn't want to walk. I contacted two dog trainers and they both didn't know what to do. They tried pulling him for an hour and it didn't work and they just left. in order for him to walk I need to take him to the dog park which is 15 KM's away and that's the only way he will walk and even at the park I kind of have to force him to walk. Any help would be much appreciated. He doesn't have any health issues, not overweight, healthy dog all around.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey there, I have my English bulldog for 2 years already and for the first year of having him I didn't have any issues. This year it's really hard to walk him as everytime I try to take him outside he's just pulling the leash and doesn't want to walk. I contacted two dog trainers and they both didn't know what to do. They tried pulling him for an hour and it didn't work and they just left. in order for him to walk I need to take him to the dog park which is 15 KM's away and that's the only way he will walk and even at the park I kind of have to force him to walk. Any help would be much appreciated. He doesn't have any health issues, not overweight, healthy dog all around.

Hello my Canuck neighbour. Sadly you fell on 2 useless trainers if that was their response. I use to train many moons ago n my trick is start at home if that is the case. I never had to use treats as I praised a lot but in your case use treats. Get a HEALTHY treat, cut them in very tiny sizes.Hook on the leash to his collar n let him drag it for a good 10mins while youā€™re calling him a few feet further from him n give him that tiny treat. Heā€™ll get use seeing itā€™s just a leash. Then pick up that leash, walk in front of him a good 3-6ā€™ n call him with a treat. Repeat till he follows you n the leash. You will see eventually he will follow. Then go in the backyard (if any) repeat. Then go front of the house repeat. It can take a few days. He will grasp what youā€™re doing. Walk down the sidewalk n back up. Donā€™t discourage him by doing blocks. Baby steps. Btw, a dog should always walk to your left side. I always walk my dogs to my left n on the street side n not the grass side. I donā€™t allow them to stop as thatā€™s how dogs pick up diseases n worms. Donā€™t forget youā€™re training him n not the other way around. Youā€™re the boss. :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Welcome to the forum!

Just to make sure I understand, what do you mean by him not wanting to walk when you taket him out? Do you have a garden where he goes to potty, but he doesn't want to leave your garden, or does he refuse to leave the house altogether? If he refuses to walk, he could be afraid of cars or perhaps his feet hurt? I would try to bounce a tennis ball and bring treats, but first of all, I would make sure his feet don't hurt.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed with the ladies... try to entice him, treats, balls, toys. Try to make it fun, if you havenā€™t.

I used to work at a daycare, it is not that odd to see a bulldog just want to be a wallflower and watch the others play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.