Lick mat?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Have any bulldogs here experience of lick mats (there's one called Lickimat, for instance)? It is a rubber mat with some texture and you spread raw food or some treat and apparently it will keep dogs and their brains busy.

I have no idea if this is something that Castor would like, so thought I'd check with his friends here. His birthday is comming up soon so I might get one for him if it's any good. :D

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Shirley has one. I have put coconut oil and peanut butter on it (at different times, not together) and it only kept her occupied for a maximum of 5 minutes. A waste of money. Actually gave it to my piggie girls but they only get the coconut oil on it. Get Castor a Kong and fill it, it'll take a lot longer till he figures it out then it might take him up to half hour before he's cleaned it out and is done messing with the toy. What I found works the best for Shirley is her bobs a lot. Got my piggies one of those too, but they are much quicker to empty theirs than Shirley is (but their feed is small pellets and even on the smallest setting, it dumps the pellets faster). I take rations of her regular kibble from a days feeding and use that in it, that takes a good long time of keeping her busy! I don't do any of it every single day and only a kong once a week, I don't want to over do the coconut oil or peanut butter and jack up her tummy.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Shirley has one. I have put coconut oil and peanut butter on it (at different times, not together) and it only kept her occupied for a maximum of 5 minutes. A waste of money. Actually gave it to my piggie girls but they only get the coconut oil on it. Get Castor a Kong and fill it, it'll take a lot longer till he figures it out then it might take him up to half hour before he's cleaned it out and is done messing with the toy. What I found works the best for Shirley is her bobs a lot. Got my piggies one of those too, but they are much quicker to empty theirs than Shirley is (but their feed is small pellets and even on the smallest setting, it dumps the pellets faster). I take rations of her regular kibble from a days feeding and use that in it, that takes a good long time of keeping her busy! I don't do any of it every single day and only a kong once a week, I don't want to over do the coconut oil or peanut butter and jack up her tummy.

Thanks for your feedback! Castor has kongs but has never shown any great interest in them but perhaps I should try again (he hasn't seen them in years). He has a thing that dispenses pellets (it's a cube that he rolls) but his eye sight is not good enough so he doesn't see the pellets on the floor anymore so not as fun as it used to be. Therefore, I thought this lick mat thing might be good.

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Thanks for your feedback! Castor has kongs but has never shown any great interest in them but perhaps I should try again (he hasn't seen them in years). He has a thing that dispenses pellets (it's a cube that he rolls) but his eye sight is not good enough so he doesn't see the pellets on the floor anymore so not as fun as it used to be. Therefore, I thought this lick mat thing might be good.

If you can find a cheap one, it might be worth a shot as I did not know his eyesight was on the decline. It just won't keep him entertained for long if you're looking for entertainment vs just a quick treat giver.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
il_340x270.2772522829_ru6h.jpg
[MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] This is a snuffle mat. Your supposed to sprinkle dry dog food, or dry treats through it, and they hunt for the pieces. I saw on Etsy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know of a few people that use them and they work great. Spread some peanut butter or whatever... it suction to the refrigerator and keep them busy for a period of time

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@cefe13 This is a snuffle mat. Your supposed to sprinkle dry dog food, or dry treats through it, and they hunt for the pieces. I saw on Etsy.

what a cool idea, but Lambeau would tear that up. 😂😂😂😂

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Those snuffle mats are also called rooting mats for pet mini piggies if you're looking into getting one, it'll be much easier to find online for you :0)

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
If you can find a cheap one, it might be worth a shot as I did not know his eyesight was on the decline. It just won't keep him entertained for long if you're looking for entertainment vs just a quick treat giver.

The ones I saw were pretty inexpensive so might give it a try!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13 This is a snuffle mat. Your supposed to sprinkle dry dog food, or dry treats through it, and they hunt for the pieces. I saw on Etsy.

Wow - that looks nice! Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I know of a few people that use them and they work great. Spread some peanut butter or whatever... it suction to the refrigerator and keep them busy for a period of time

Great to hear - but do you mean they attach the mat to the fridge? not leave it on the floor? I'm not sure I'd like Castor licking the fridge!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great to hear - but do you mean they attach the mat to the fridge? not leave it on the floor? I'm not sure I'd like Castor licking the fridge!

You can place it wherever you want... I’ve seen it on a refrigerator but suction cups will work wherever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
You can place it wherever you want... I’ve seen it on a refrigerator but suction cups will work wherever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, now I see - I missed the suction cup part! Thanks for clarifying!

Mechadogzilla

Nov 15, 2020
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo(English Bulldog) and Hans(Rottweiler)
I used to use one when I trimmed my dog’s toenails. I would push cheese into the crevices, and it would keep him engaged as I worked. Only used it for that purpose though and would wash it and put it away until nails got long again.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.