Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
20210308_032520.jpg

20210308_032404.jpg

Shirley sits like this most of the time. Is she weird?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh, she looks like the Sphinx doing yoga. Is she looking up into the ceiling, perhaps? Can this have to do with her not being able to do that previosuly if she was crated? I have no idea but as long as she is comfortable, I don't think it looks weird.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Oh, she looks like the Sphinx doing yoga. Is she looking up into the ceiling, perhaps? Can this have to do with her not being able to do that previosuly if she was crated? I have no idea but as long as she is comfortable, I don't think it looks weird.

She sits like that and stares at the ceiling for long periods of time. I've been wondering if it's because she was caged most of her life and possibly in a cage too small for her and that was the only position she could hold her head or if it's just a Shirley thing or if other bullies do the same, so I took pics and posted asking :0)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Does she lick or snap while she's in that position? Walter will do what they call "fly bitting" and I have to snap him out of it...

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Does she lick or snap while she's in that position? Walter will do what they call "fly bitting" and I have to snap him out of it...

No licking or snapping. Just sits there quietly staring straight up at the ceiling quite often and for 10-15 minutes at a time unless I as you said "snap her out of it". She does have a lot of weird quirks, just not sure if this is one of them or it's from her past, or if it's a common thing for the breed.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would guess she has developed some habits due to boredom of being locked up, no exercise or not being able to explore or play like a normal dog life. She probably had nothing else she could do. [MENTION=8560]Shirley[/MENTION]Wigglebutt

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I would guess she has developed some habits due to boredom of being locked up, no exercise or not being able to explore or play like a normal dog life. She probably had nothing else she could do. [MENTION=8560]Shirley[/MENTION]Wigglebutt

Was one thing I had considered from living her life in a cage until the rescue got her. She will NEVER be put in any type of cage/crate again, guess I will chalk it up to being just a Shirley thing and her being weird whatever the cause for it was lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... she is bored and as Lynn stated, most likely bd ah it from being caged. Snap her out of her with some pets or treats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Agreed... she is bored and as Lynn stated, most likely bd ah it from being caged. Snap her out of her with some pets or treats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She does it while I'm loving on her too! I can't say if it is or isn't her being bored, but how can one be bored while getting scratches and lovins and getting ears and wrinkles rubbed? She sits next to me on the couch and does it even with my arm around her. It's the same position when she sits at my feet and looks up at me while I'm standing and doesn't drop her head to normal forward position when I bend over to pet her. I just got me a weird one who likes to stare at the ceiling for whatever reason, since it's not really a norm for the breed. It's just a Shirley thing....she even sleeps with her head tilted up!

20210222_084236.jpg

20210222_142557.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When a dog has never had a loving home,with normal activities, they do not act in normal ways, and sometimes compensate in a way to sort of "protect" themselves.Can she lower her head when she eats ? If so, it is not an injury. She may have even been kept in a cage too small to lay her head down, and had to lay with her head propped up facing up against the cage. Without knowing, we can only guess.Too many people in this world who just are greedy and cruel. It is so good to know that she will have a good, cared for rest of her life, and I'll bet she is loving it!

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
When a dog has never had a loving home,with normal activities, they do not act in normal ways, and sometimes compensate in a way to sort of "protect" themselves.Can she lower her head when she eats ? If so, it is not an injury. She may have even been kept in a cage too small to lay her head down, and had to lay with her head propped up facing up against the cage. Without knowing, we can only guess.Too many people in this world who just are greedy and cruel. It is so good to know that she will have a good, cared for rest of her life, and I'll bet she is loving it!

It's not an injury. She does this periodically but not constantly. For the most part she has her head in natural position. Outside was pretty new to her and she loves being outside ALOT. She was zero housebroken/potty trained. She has no social skills but was aggressive towards the rescue foster moms personal bulldogs, she's shown zero aggressive behavior towards any other dogs we've been in any range of. She only knew her name, not even basic commands. She'd just sit there and look at me like I'm an idiot or like she didn't know the English language or words. Every passing day she gets better and better and more and more obedient. We've had recent set backs in the potty training and only one time since around January 26th in her sleep room (my main bathroom when I go to bed or do have to leave and she can't go) since the last set back and 3rd attempt in her own room. She's got the daily routine down better than I do sometimes lol. I have alarms set for everyone's feeding times with different alarm sounds and she knows her alarm music and my outside kids alarm to know it's scheduled outside time while I feed them, she goes in her little yard as she's terrified of the others still.

Members online

No members online now.