General Question New rescue won't listen unless I raise my voice

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Can it be that she would be better off sleeping in the small room (if I understand you correctly, she does fine in the small room but you want her to get a bigger room)? Perhaps the small room is a better option for the time she cannot spend with you? Is there a reason you want her to be in the bigger room rather than the smaller one?

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Can it be that she would be better off sleeping in the small room (if I understand you correctly, she does fine in the small room but you want her to get a bigger room)? Perhaps the small room is a better option for the time she cannot spend with you? Is there a reason you want her to be in the bigger room rather than the smaller one?

Yep. It's my main bathroom!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yep. It's my main bathroom!!!

Aha - I see! :D

I hope the indoor peeing stops; I guess it's a matter of identifying what triggers Shirley's behaviour. Have you checked that there is no draft where she sleeps? We had some bed-wetting episodes after Castor was potty trained, and it turned out the poor thing slept in a draft. As soon as we moved his bed so that the open window night air didn't reach his bed, the bed-wetting stopped.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Aha - I see! :D

I hope the indoor peeing stops; I guess it's a matter of identifying what triggers Shirley's behaviour. Have you checked that there is no draft where she sleeps? We had some bed-wetting episodes after Castor was potty trained, and it turned out the poor thing slept in a draft. As soon as we moved his bed so that the open window night air didn't reach his bed, the bed-wetting stopped.

No. No drafts in her room. My best friend and weekly helper had also mentioned maybe it was being a few feet further away from my sleeproom. We have been banging our heads against a wall trying to get this figured out. I'm mad she ruined my futon mattress and even more mad that I'm physically unable to get the mattress out of my house and it really reeks of urine now. I try to have nice clean things and provide her with the best and she does this... I feel like a failure and it's more frustrating because she KNOWS better at this point. Been almost 2 months home now and we haven't had any accidents inside since January 26th the last time I attempted putting her in her room prior this past week. At least last time she peed on the protector and it didn't get into my futon mattress but it did this time, found 4 pee spots on my mattress because she dug and bunched up the protector along with her blankets then put her blankets over the wet spots to hide them. She gets plenty outside time to potty before bedtime.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I agree that she just might not be suited for a bigger room, at least not for awhile. While I understand that you want her in a larger room, after everything she has been through it just might not be in the cards.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I agree that she just might not be suited for a bigger room, at least not for awhile. While I understand that you want her in a larger room, after everything she has been through it just might not be in the cards.

I'm beginning to think that just might be the case and it breaks my heart having to put her in my main bathroom for me to sleep. I quit using that bathroom and she quit peeing In there immediately after. I can leave her in the den and go out and groom my horses and spend some time with them and my piggies and she's just fine though so I thought she might be ready for her own room again, this makes the third failed attempt in her room. I just don't understand this. I thought she'd be happy having her own big soft bed (my futon laid flat) to stretch out and roll around on....

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I may get some flak for this but maybe sleeping in a crate would make her happier. Her own safe place. Take her out to potty before bed and first thing in the morning. She is not likely to pee in her crate. this could help to reinforce her potty training. The more she gets used to peeing in the house the more likely she is to do it again. Does she have access to go out and go potty during the night? If not I would lean more towards crating at night. My dogs have a doggie door but that might be unsafe in a ranch type setting with Coyotes. The worse thing my dogs would come across would be a cat, possum, racoon or the ever dangerous orange 5 gallon bucket that is not where it is supposed to be. I walked out several times to find Tyler
(RIP) (the autistic dog) barking like there was a dinosaur in the backyard only to find that he found a bucket where it shouldn't be.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm beginning to think that just might be the case and it breaks my heart having to put her in my main bathroom for me to sleep. I quit using that bathroom and she quit peeing In there immediately after. I can leave her in the den and go out and groom my horses and spend some time with them and my piggies and she's just fine though so I thought she might be ready for her own room again, this makes the third failed attempt in her room. I just don't understand this. I thought she'd be happy having her own big soft bed (my futon laid flat) to stretch out and roll around on....

Not all dogs like big beds. Castor always rolls up against the side of his bed or he sleeps close to one of his humans. Only when it's warm will he lie stretched out without snuggling up against something. He is a confident dog who has never been confined which makes me suspect this wish for "nesting" is pretty standard dog behaviour. I certainly understand you don't want Shirley to sleep in the bathroom, but if that is a room in which she feels safe for now, it might be the best option as long as you have access to it or to another bathroom?! And I take it you can put a little bed for her in the bathroom?

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Not all dogs like big beds. Castor always rolls up against the side of his bed or he sleeps close to one of his humans. Only when it's warm will he lie stretched out without snuggling up against something. He is a confident dog who has never been confined which makes me suspect this wish for "nesting" is pretty standard dog behaviour. I certainly understand you don't want Shirley to sleep in the bathroom, but if that is a room in which she feels safe for now, it might be the best option as long as you have access to it or to another bathroom?! And I take it you can put a little bed for her in the bathroom?

I hadn't thought about nesting or her feeling more comfy even though it's a smaller area. She's probably just fine in the den because that's where we spend most of the day everyday so she's comfortable when I go outside and spend time and tend to my other kiddos. That makes a lot of sense now. She is pretty needy, always wanting to be petted and touched when she's not snoring. She's doing a lot better with the basic commands even when it's not what she wants to do. She is extremely sensitive to my emotions and stress even when what's ailing me has nothing to do with her, she's above and beyond motherly trying to make me feel better. I have a half bath that I use with her in the main, and yes she has a smaller raised bed in there with one of her blankets and a couple squeaky toys and a chew toy.
Thank you for the insight and bringing something to my attention I hadn't thought about. :0)

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I may get some flak for this but maybe sleeping in a crate would make her happier. Her own safe place. Take her out to potty before bed and first thing in the morning. She is not likely to pee in her crate. this could help to reinforce her potty training. The more she gets used to peeing in the house the more likely she is to do it again. Does she have access to go out and go potty during the night? If not I would lean more towards crating at night. My dogs have a doggie door but that might be unsafe in a ranch type setting with Coyotes. The worse thing my dogs would come across would be a cat, possum, racoon or the ever dangerous orange 5 gallon bucket that is not where it is supposed to be. I walked out several times to find Tyler
(RIP) (the autistic dog) barking like there was a dinosaur in the backyard only to find that he found a bucket where it shouldn't be.

The rescue told me she was in a puppy mill type environment and spent the better part of her life 6.5 years in a cage and I absolutely will not put her back in one for any reason. I won't take her to a regular groomer because they put the dogs in cages when they're done with them. I take her to petsmart for their express service while I wait and watch through the window. I do not sleep through the night due to pain, I am disabled from being hit by a car on my motorcycle that turned out in front of me in an intersection when I had the green light. I get at a max 4 hours at a time, usually less, so that's the only time Shirley is in the bathroom and away from me. Photos below are before and after photos of my bike. (I died 3 times but brought back every time)

View attachment 120565

View attachment 120566

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.