General Question New rescue won't listen unless I raise my voice

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I will say that i did add i think 3 drops of peppermint to Helson's recepie. I watched the flea die right in front of me faster with that added. Not saying to do so as She is definitely the one to trust, but just mentioning what *i* added with my results.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I noticed in your video, that you keep repeating her name, over and over. I think doing that too much, will not teach her anything, but enforce the fact of her ignoring by getting her" programmed" to ignore it. One thing I (just an idea) would do is have a leash on her and call her name only twice and the second time, pull her a littlee closer to you, and give her something great(like a piece of cooked liver, or heart-only for that "excercise".) Just a little closer at first. She may have had some trauma associated with her name being called, and perhaps you can reprogram her and associate it with something good. Not really knowing what she has been through, trying different "tricks" may be a better outcome. [MENTION=20037]Shirley Wigglebutt[/MENTION] With dogs of unknown backgrounds, you have to try to be creative, to see what works. I have had several rescues, and had to come up with different scenarios for different dogs. Bulldogs are the most stubborn and pretty darn smart in what THEY want to do.:yes:

I only repeated her name for that video to show how she hears me but blatantly ignores me. I don't do that otherwise. I have been trying different things but being consistent with "training sessions" everyday. I have no doubt she has been abused and beaten in the month I've been blessed to have her. I have been able to examine all her c section scars and she's had at least 3 regular c sections and at least 2 side c sections. I'm being patient but staying firm. I just want to make her a happy gal with no worries about anything for the rest of her life. She is actually doing fabulous but as everyone here has informed me the breed is the most stubborn and it's all about what suits them, so with that information and keeping it in mind we have come a long ways already but I do need us to get better than where we are to be able to do more if that makes any sense. We have not had one potty mess in the house in over a week now. I'm so proud of her. I see she clearly doesn't understand how to just be a dog and I think she is adjusting to life beyond the cage and babies after babies pretty well but I think at times she misses her babies. I feel so bad for her having to endure what life she had to live without any choice or knowing any different until the rescue got her. I think she's falling in love with me already, she apparently knows I'm disabled and will now wait for me or let me go off the deck first instead of hauling arse when off leash or when she runs to the door to come in she has stopped jumping on the door and waits patiently for my slow butt to get to the door and open it. She's definitely a treasure. I am amazed that she has no hatred or aggression due to her past, she is so loving and caring. I can't thank everyone that has responded to my post and the valuable information given without judgements. We really feel welcome here and it is greatly greatly appreciated.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I will say that i did add i think 3 drops of peppermint to Helson's recepie. I watched the flea die right in front of me faster with that added. Not saying to do so as She is definitely the one to trust, but just mentioning what *i* added with my results.

I would rather do natural than meds. Maybe I need to get the oil brands mentioned in another post, the ones I have may be crap and is why nothing I've tried has worked. Do you use your mixture as a spray or in a dobber? I had been making sprays. I have so many spray bottles I had to get a label maker (I can not write legibly with my non dominant and previously injured arm - with my dominant hand and arm being a completely flail limb and I also suffered a TBI with lifelong after effects, I have a hard time remembering things, specific dates or times etc) so I can label all the spray bottles with their contents lol. I was hit on my motorcycle by a car trying to beat me to turn in an intersection that I had the green light for. I am permanently totally messed up.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would rather do natural than meds. Maybe I need to get the oil brands mentioned in another post, the ones I have may be crap and is why nothing I've tried has worked. Do you use your mixture as a spray or in a dobber? I had been making sprays. I have so many spray bottles I had to get a label maker (I can not write legibly with my non dominant and previously injured arm - with my dominant hand and arm being a completely flail limb and I also suffered a TBI with lifelong after effects, I have a hard time remembering things, specific dates or times etc) so I can label all the spray bottles with their contents lol. I was hit on my motorcycle by a car trying to beat me to turn in an intersection that I had the green light for. I am permanently totally messed up.

You definitely can use a spray. I spray on then use a thin brush’s the mix goes right into the fur. Add more behind the ears, belly n paws. As when they lay down on the grass even ants won’t go on them. [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] is right as you can add peppermint. You can also use 1/2 of the lavender n put remaining drop with peppermint or add like mentioned a few drops of Peppermint. Btw, do add a few drops on top of the collar or harness.

What happens is a bug smells the Essential Oil n burns their receptors in their brain/body. I don’t use it daily either. Mostly summers if I go out walking with them in the mountains or on the backyard when mosquitoes are out. You basically see the mosquitoes staying above the dogs. Canadian winters there is no ticks, fleas or any bugs unless you’re in Vancouver BC. They don’t really have winters over there. I also make a simple mix with lavender, a tad of tea tree, lemongrass with either fractionated coconut oil or almond oil. It’s thicker n I use a pump. This is when they tend to smell like a really bully. At the same time great for their coat. Oils it up. :yes:

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
You definitely can use a spray. I spray on then use a thin brush’s the mix goes right into the fur. Add more behind the ears, belly n paws. As when they lay down on the grass even ants won’t go on them. [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] is right as you can add peppermint. You can also use 1/2 of the lavender n put remaining drop with peppermint or add like mentioned a few drops of Peppermint. Btw, do add a few drops on top of the collar or harness.

I SOOOOO appreciate your help and recipes to try and avoid having to resort to meds and chemicals. We are expecting record low temps this coming week and had my helper get the bully tshirt I got for Shirley on her. I had no idea how she would react to clothes, she has done amazing with it. Lavender/violet is the color I chose for her collar and leash and when I saw matching color tshirt especially for EBD's I just had to get her one! 20210207_125546.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I SOOOOO appreciate your help and recipes to try and avoid having to resort to meds and chemicals. We are expecting record low temps this coming week and had my helper get the bully tshirt I got for Shirley on her. I had no idea how she would react to clothes, she has done amazing with it. Lavender/violet is the color I chose for her collar and leash and when I saw matching color tshirt especially for EBD's I just had to get her one! View attachment 120403

Lilac it is lol

You’re most welcome. I did start couple threads... The EO one you basically need to read all as when I started this thread I modified recipes as I went. Add this remove this type... so before doing a recipe just ask or keep reading..

I call it.....bedtime reading :yes:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Lilac it is lol

You’re most welcome. I did start couple threads... The EO one you basically need to read all as when I started this thread I modified recipes as I went. Add this remove this type... so before doing a recipe just ask or keep reading..

I call it.....bedtime reading :yes:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/57090-holistic-approach.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Very informative and good reading! Thank you! I'm still working on getting it all read. Lots of excellent information to process :0)

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Update with Shirley Wigglebutt:

Thanks to all the advice and information I have received here, I would like to give everyone an update. I believe we are completely potty trained already.
From being informed just how stubborn the breed can be, and they think things need to be on their terms, when she stares up at the ceiling when I call her and her blatantly ignoring me, I have tried the ignoring you back approach, slightly turning my back to her. This has worked! If I act like I'm ignoring her, she's immediately like what the... and I have her attention!
Thank you all so much for educating me so I can be successful with this and with my girl!!!

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
A new update with Shirley Wigglebutt:

So at the advice to wait and give Shirley time before trying her room again and to keep her in the small room during my sleep time. She was doing absolutely fabulous for weeks, I really thought we were completely potty trained. With at minimum 2 weeks consist with no messes while I slept, I tried her in room again Sunday night. Seemed to have gone well. Monday when I went in to wake her when I got up, I thought I smelled pee but wasn't sure, thought my nose was playing tricks and I couldn't see any visible signs of a mess. This morning when I went to wake her, her room reeked of pee. I pulled up all her blankets and the mattress pet protector off my futon that she had dug up and bunched up and she had peed all over my futon ruining my mattress. She had pulled blankets over the pee spots and was even sleeping over the freshest wet spot. WHY????? I've been washing blankets since 4am.... I am so disappointed and honestly pretty angry that my futon mattress is ruined. I just wanted her to have a big comfy bed to sleep in even though I have purchased 3 of the raised dog beds for each room.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A new update with Shirley Wigglebutt:

So at the advice to wait and give Shirley time before trying her room again and to keep her in the small room during my sleep time. She was doing absolutely fabulous for weeks, I really thought we were completely potty trained. With at minimum 2 weeks consist with no messes while I slept, I tried her in room again Sunday night. Seemed to have gone well. Monday when I went in to wake her when I got up, I thought I smelled pee but wasn't sure, thought my nose was playing tricks and I couldn't see any visible signs of a mess. This morning when I went to wake her, her room reeked of pee. I pulled up all her blankets and the mattress pet protector off my futon that she had dug up and bunched up and she had peed all over my futon ruining my mattress. She had pulled blankets over the pee spots and was even sleeping over the freshest wet spot. WHY????? I've been washing blankets since 4am.... I am so disappointed and honestly pretty angry that my futon mattress is ruined. I just wanted her to have a big comfy bed to sleep in even though I have purchased 3 of the raised dog beds for each room.

Some dogs just can not have blankets or bedding of any type, for reasons unbeknown to us, they will pee on them.

Try no bedding and see how she does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Some dogs just can not have blankets or bedding of any type, for reasons unbeknown to us, they will pee on them.

She does great with her throw blankets. She actually got her blankets bunched up over the pee spots trying to hide where she had peed even laying on top of the fresh pee spot this morning to hide it. I know by now that she knows better. She got to spend more time outside yesterday evening before my bedtime than she's been able to due to the weather. Not like she didn't have a large opportunity before "bedtime" to potty.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

She does great with her throw blankets. She actually got her blankets bunched up over the pee spots trying to hide where she had peed even laying on top of the fresh pee spot this morning to hide it. I know by now that she knows better. She got to spend more time outside yesterday evening before my bedtime than she's been able to due to the weather. Not like she didn't have a large opportunity before "bedtime" to potty.

This probably isn’t about potty... it may be marking or if she was an outside breeder mama she will pee where she sleeps and then cover it to not sleep on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
This probably isn’t about potty... it may be marking or if she was an outside breeder mama she will pee where she sleeps and then cover it to not sleep on it

Was told she spent her life in a cage then in small area once litters arrived. By the way she acted when I brought her home, outside seemed new and amazing to her. She hadn't been peeing on any of her blankets or her beds before this last attempt putting her in her own room. And she only peed on my futon using her blankets to hide where she peed. And the futon had not had any other animals on it prior for her to mark.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like she doesn't want to be left alone, after getting the pleasure of your company! Do you have a room without furn. or carpet? Maybe the kitchen, where you can block her in, with a blanket, or a crate with a pad(washable?)

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Sounds like she doesn't want to be left alone, after getting the pleasure of your company! Do you have a room without furn. or carpet? Maybe the kitchen, where you can block her in, with a blanket, or a crate with a pad(washable?)

Unfortunately I have no way from the design of my house to block her into a larger non carpeted area with no furniture than the small room she has had to go to while I sleep. I had my helper come move my futon from the living room into her room to give her a big comfy bed along with one of the large raised dog beds. She used the dog bed to step up onto the futon and not need to jump. I did precautions to protect my carpet in her room. Had it steam cleaned twice, put plastic over the carpet and bought 2 non shag area rugs to put over the plastic and a large washable potty pad. We spend the days mostly in the den where she has another large raised dog bed, more blankets, and her toys. I also feed her in the den. Neither rooms have doors and are less than 10' apart. I have a tall metal walk thru babygate for whichever room she has to go in while I sleep. It's not easy for me to continue to move it back and forth. Since she lived in a cage most of her life, I refuse to put her back in one. I really thought we were totally potty trained and haven't had any accidents in weeks...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online