SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Hi All,
My Red used to love riding in the car. For the last 6 months he pants while in the car and even if he goes to a familiar house he continues to pant for hours after we arrive. He has been to the vet and the vet says he he healthy. Anyone ever experience this and if so what did you do?

Tried Benedryl, rescue remedy for pets, and Prozac with no luck

He is 7 years old and I have had him since he was a puppy. He already had pallat surgery when he was around 3.

He is now not wanting to eat all his food right away like he used to and it looks like he is having a hard time swallowing

Thank you in advance for any advice
Sue

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Sue, I would go see another vet or ask your current vet to look a little closer. In my experience a bulldog not wanting to eat quickly is sign of distress. The trouble swallowing doesn't sound good either. Xrays may be in order. Wishing Red the best. Contact me if you have more info and need someone to bounce it off of.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would also get a 2nd opinion as pallet issue can come back.

That being said, my white face Jake did the exact same thing for a good year. He also has anxiety. I decided to keep him on the thin side. He lost 10lbs n when I go visit the kids whom both have 3 dogs each which the panting was horrible non stop till we got home. He now has cut down 3/4 of excessive panting. Jake was 66lb n now 55. What a major difference! Nyala also lost 10lbs but she never had a breathing issue I just wanted her to be thinner. I personally think people needs to keep their dogs on the thinner side. It makes such a difference. Jake did have pallet surgery when we got him at 2.5yrs old. Heā€™s going to be 4in a weekish n his pallet is fine. It was simply a smarter weight fix. Btw, they both eat only raw even treats.

46D24222-6B2D-4C73-A2F2-8D38B88A5781.jpeg

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I would also get a 2nd opinion as pallet issue can come back.

That being said, my white face Jake did the exact same thing for a good year. He also has anxiety. I decided to keep him on the thin side. He lost 10lbs n when I go visit the kids whom both have 3 dogs each which the panting was horrible non stop till we got home. He now has cut down 3/4 of excessive panting. Jake was 66lb n now 55. What a major difference! Nyala also lost 10lbs but she never had a breathing issue I just wanted her to be thinner. I personally think people needs to keep their dogs on the thinner side. It makes such a difference. Jake did have pallet surgery when we got him at 2.5yrs old. Heā€™s going to be 4in a weekish n his pallet is fine. It was simply a smarter weight fix. Btw, they both eat only raw even treats.

View attachment 120312
Helene,
I totally agree with keeping Bullies on the thinner side. They have so much more stamina, energy and heat tolerance. Crazy the deaf dog will lay in the sun on the deck when it is 95 degrees outside. Luckily Bulldogs don't know volume and don't notice if you cut them down an eighth of a cup of food.

OP
S

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Thank you all for the responses. I also have kept him on the thinner side he is around 50 pounds. He does have anxiety has always been on the hyper side till lately. Going back to vet this week different vet at same office and I will ask for an x-ray. I used to take him to Barney and Russum but both the older owners have retired and the place isnā€™t the same anymore without them. They were the experts on bulldogs.

Hoping to get an answer this week. The panting is really upsetting as he used to love the beach and now I canā€™t take him

Take care all

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you all for the responses. I also have kept him on the thinner side he is around 50 pounds. He does have anxiety has always been on the hyper side till lately. Going back to vet this week different vet at same office and I will ask for an x-ray. I used to take him to Barney and Russum but both the older owners have retired and the place isnā€™t the same anymore without them. They were the experts on bulldogs.

Hoping to get an answer this week. The panting is really upsetting as he used to love the beach and now I canā€™t take him

Take care all

Thereā€™s a list in here of bully vets in USA.... [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] might help you on this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Take care all

Here is the list... English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online