General Question Bulldog does not play much

Tysonthebull

Dec 8, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Good day,

I recently got an english bulldog (last week) and he's amazing ! He is 13 weeks old now and i got him a week ago. He does not play much, he is very low on energy he wakes up will bitw stuff here and there and go back to bed. I haven't seen him run or jump once. I am trying to engage but he looks at me like I am crwzy ahha. I was wondering if I am the only one who is going through this? is it normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_124856_060~2.jpg
    IMG_20201206_124856_060~2.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 214

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
He's a pretty bulldog. I'm no expert on bullys but my boy Gabe was kind of like that. He has his spurts of energy to play and rough house now and then. He's 5 now and I still can't get him to give kisses. Patience is definately required with these fellas. Get him a bunch of chew toys and see which one he favors the most and play with that one with him.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
What a beautiful little fellow. As he's only been in your house for such a short time, perhaps he is still adjusting. If he's not into active playing (like running around), perhpas he is more into other kinds of activities and ways of interacting. Somethign Castor liked was to look for treats in paper rolls. We took his food kibble and put a kibble in an empty toilet paper roll which we folded so the kibble wouldn't escape. Then we used it as a rattle, and Castor would get it and would chew it open and get the treat. You need to watch the pup closely so he doesn't eat the cardboad. After a while, we would rattle the paper roll and hide it (behind an open door, for instance).

We also talked a lot to Castor (still do and he's 7.5 years old now). We have not really been playing a lot with him but have more trained him to be around us and be comfortable with the family moving about. Castor has toys but is not very active with them. He likes balls outdoors but stuffed toys he mainly uses as pillows.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
After owning several bulldogs, I have to say that it's honestly a mixed bag... my female is crazy town, while my male only gets excited about his ball. I would offer short walks, different toys to see what sparks his interest... but he may just be more laid back. That is not necessarily a bad thing ;)

OP
T

Tysonthebull

Dec 8, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Thank you all, will try the Paper roll trick and see how he acts ! will keep you posted

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you all, will try the Paper roll trick and see how he acts ! will keep you posted

Please let us know how it goes. And please watch baby Tyson so he doesn't eat the paper!

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah on the cardboard thing. My Gabe doesn't pay much interest to his toys, but give him a cardboard box and stand back. Total destruction. I show him a cardboard box, his ears will perk up, he stands up straight and is ready for me to throw it. Boxes don't stand a chance. Good luck with that boy of yours, we all hope he is well and nothing wrong with his insides.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome my Canuck!! Don’t know what part of Canada you live but getting colder now. Unless you’re in Vancouver. You’re not doing anything wrong....Give him a bit of time as this is new to him. You basically got him at 3months old n he was probably use to his other surroundings But definitely bring him outside n play with him. Use squeaky toys outside as it gets their attention. Just keep an eye on the squeaky gizmo thingy not to swallow it. He’s a cutie for sure!!!

OP
T

Tysonthebull

Dec 8, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Welcome my Canuck!! Don’t know what part of Canada you live but getting colder now. Unless you’re in Vancouver. You’re not doing anything wrong....Give him a bit of time as this is new to him. You basically got him at 3months old n he was probably use to his other surroundings But definitely bring him outside n play with him. Use squeaky toys outside as it gets their attention. Just keep an eye on the squeaky gizmo thingy not to swallow it. He’s a cutie for sure!!!

Hahaha I am from Ottawa ! And will definetley listen to all of you. We just got snow and it seems that my lazy tyson enjoys it hahaha :D!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My 2 loves the snow. I leave them out there often so the can play. Fresh air too :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep, they can be lazy bugs, but find the right toy and look out. My guys love cardboard, emptywater bottles, raw marrow bones and squeaky tennis balls.

OP
T

Tysonthebull

Dec 8, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Ever since I wrote my medsage here, my dog has become crazy haha (in a good way)! Now he runs jumps has a lot of funn and does not stop ! Thank you all!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Ever since I wrote my medsage here, my dog has become crazy haha (in a good way)! Now he runs jumps has a lot of funn and does not stop ! Thank you all!

This only proves what I have suspected all along - our bulldogs read the replies we receive here.

And they say bulldogs aren't smart. :D

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

That sounds more like it for a 13 week old puppy! I have never seen a puppy not run around and play. Maybe he was just getting settled into his new home.

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like he finally got over being in a new environment and got comfortable. Now you in for a real treat. Oh and keep plenty of towels around, they do slobber a lot. Send more pictures.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.