Bringing in new pup with needy 6 yr old bulldog

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
We will be bringing home a new puppy in a couple months and I am concerned our six year old will be intolerant - for lack of a better word - of her. Sophie is a sweet but territorial and needy bulldog. She lost her older sister last November (2019) and isn't well socialized with other dogs. She is okay around them, doesn't fight or anything, but she does tend to bark at them and get a little anxious.

Is there something specific we should do to prepare her so she doesn't terrorize the new baby?? I know I can get her into some training to maybe help get her socialized more but what can my husband and I do on a daily basis?

Thank you all!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala was basically 18months old when I brought Duke 3ish months old in the house. She was use to being with my sons dogs total of 6 on their side. She did train Duke n definitely was rough with him. When Duke pass almost a couple years ago we brought in Jake whom was dukes real blood brother n Jake was 2.5yrs old. At the breeder, Nyala went straight to Jake. Idk if itā€™s cause she knew he was part of Duke but didnā€™t leave his side. Brought Jake home. Thought all was going to be smooth. Pffft. The ramming of heads!?!?! Holy crap. They would just stare at one another n whammm. Fight. Bare in mind both not puppies. Took about 2 months for their crap to finish. You eventually get to know when it will start. Like for me was that stare. Got up before they started. New toys was a big no no let alone bones. Today theyā€™re best buddies. I do still keep an eye on them new toys as I still see the ā€œside Stink eyeā€ kick in. I simple say ā€œ Nyala be nice. Sheā€™ll back off n let jake have it. I doubt yours will attack in a mean way. He will basically put the puppy in its place. Just like they do in the wild. Thatā€™s ok n needs to be done. Simple make sure you are there just in case it gets out of hand. Puppy will learn when not to push them buttons. Just like a newborn you bring home. Never neglect the other siblings. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll know what to do. Simply be alert thatā€™s all n if that means time out for either or, Kennelā€™s are good for training pups.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Is it possible to bring your current dog to wherever the puppy is so they can meet before you bring the puppy home? You can also have them meet in your front yard when you bring the puppy home which is more neutral territory than inside your house. I would just keep my eye on them and not leave them alone together. The puppy is going to be like a little gnat and annoy the hell out of your current dog. That's just what they do. Your older dog will give his own corrections and you should let him so the puppy will learn what acceptable behavior is.

OP
berlin78

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for all your info/help! It's going to be interesting, for sure. We are getting excited!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for all your info/help! It's going to be interesting, for sure. We are getting excited!

The ladies gave great advice.... just let hem get to know each other, it will/might take weeks before your current girl will even acknowledge the pup is there. Walks are a great way to get the to pack up and be sure to keep them short walks till pup has all vaccines.

OP
berlin78

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
So we've recently found out that the mama of our new baby had nine in the litter and four died from anasarca (also called "water pups") and we are very worried. There are five left, two of which are girls. We do not have a "pick" as we are 2nd in line for the girls. My husband and I are so worried that the dogs that survived might have problems from this type of condition later on and we do not have any experience with it. They also have had to be bottle fed as mama's milk was mostly water and so that adds to the concerns of the pups not getting any colostrum...

Any red flags to any of you? What should we be looking at/for as far as how they look, what they should weigh... etc...? We aren't first-timers and totally understand bully problems/health issues, but if this is truly going to be something where the pup is not going to make it, would you walk away?? It's so emotional. We are having a hard time. Our vet pleaded with us to not get one from the litter when we even mentioned the anasarca.

If you have any ideas as to good questions to ask the breeder we're all ears. We've been in good communication and she seems very open. She's been doing this for over thirty years, and I do know someone who actually uses her males to breed with their females, so I think they're usually fairly healthy. We are just so torn.

Thank you all in advance!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=17281]berlin78[/MENTION] I understand this is difficult and I cannot offer any advice. However, "water pup" rings a bell, and when I now read up a little on this condition, I think this was what Castor's breeder told us was the reason why Castor was born through a c-section. There were seven pups in the litter and we were told that one pup had died at birth after having got stuck in the birth canal so they had to rush the mom to the vet for a c-section.

Have you asked your vet whether this is likely to affect siblings later in life? We were told about this in passing only because they told us that the mom had had a c-section and I have never talked to a vet about it. However, I think this water pup condition is something they are born with, not something they develop later. Having a vet examine the pup is important, of course, but that the breeder has hopefully already done?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So we've recently found out that the mama of our new baby had nine in the litter and four died from anasarca (also called "water pups") and we are very worried. There are five left, two of which are girls. We do not have a "pick" as we are 2nd in line for the girls. My husband and I are so worried that the dogs that survived might have problems from this type of condition later on and we do not have any experience with it. They also have had to be bottle fed as mama's milk was mostly water and so that adds to the concerns of the pups not getting any colostrum...

Any red flags to any of you? What should we be looking at/for as far as how they look, what they should weigh... etc...? We aren't first-timers and totally understand bully problems/health issues, but if this is truly going to be something where the pup is not going to make it, would you walk away?? It's so emotional. We are having a hard time. Our vet pleaded with us to not get one from the litter when we even mentioned the anasarca.

If you have any ideas as to good questions to ask the breeder we're all ears. We've been in good communication and she seems very open. She's been doing this for over thirty years, and I do know someone who actually uses her males to breed with their females, so I think they're usually fairly healthy. We are just so torn.

No first hand experience but from what I have read and heard, the remaining puppies can be fine and live a healthy life. I don't think there is a reason at this point to write them off or steer clear. It also seems to be unknown as to what causes water puppies in the first place.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] @goobersmom [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] . If you're in good communication with the breeder you should be able to look and see how they develope.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, the remaining pups should be fine. We had a water pup once and all the other pups were fine. Just keep in contact with the breeder and follow their development. I would not be worried about getting one, as long as the breeder is using good breeding stock and not just a back yard breeder.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online