bulldog jumping on and off of couch

aboom611

Nov 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
mack
My 4 year old bulldog continuously jumps on and off the couch. I have tried ramps, and steps, but he completely ignores them. I've tried to persuade him with treats to use the ramp, but he just wont go for it. I work from home currently, so its becoming more of an issue. Crates do not work as he will defecate inside of it because he thinks you are ignoring, along with any other type of isolation. Im going to start using a gate as much as I can and see how it goes. I'm just looking for an tips, tricks, or advice. Thanks in advance!

OP
A

aboom611

Nov 17, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
mack
Also, he is always very anxious, and constantly moving. He is either 0 or 100. I don't know if this plays a role in how to control his behavior. I have tried pet CBD to help calm him down, but that didn't really seem to work.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
My 4 year old bulldog continuously jumps on and off the couch. I have tried ramps, and steps, but he completely ignores them. I've tried to persuade him with treats to use the ramp, but he just wont go for it. I work from home currently, so its becoming more of an issue. Crates do not work as he will defecate inside of it because he thinks you are ignoring, along with any other type of isolation. Im going to start using a gate as much as I can and see how it goes. I'm just looking for an tips, tricks, or advice. Thanks in advance!

Just so that I understand what the problem is with the couch: I take it he is allowed on the couch as you have set up a ramp? Are you afraid he will get hurt from jumping on and off or is it just that he is too wild and you would like him to calm down? When our Castor was young, we blocked off the couch as he wasn't allowed there - just tipped the back cushions down on the seat so that the couch was too high for him.

I see from your second post that he is anxious. Can you make him sleep in a bed close to where you work? Give him a bone to chew on? Or does it help with a long walk and outdoor play session before you start working so that he is really tired?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Also, he is always very anxious, and constantly moving. He is either 0 or 100. I don't know if this plays a role in how to control his behavior. I have tried pet CBD to help calm him down, but that didn't really seem to work.

My white face is the same heā€™s almost 3. Iā€™m not going to stop him as it wonā€™t n doesnā€™t work. Both have a love seat n I raise the foot rest 1/4 way so yes it does help. But if Iā€™m grabbing the treat jar, heā€™s Superman, never touches the foot rest. Top of sofa to the middle of the living room. Sometimes while in the middle of the air he does a half twist & lands smack in front of me. When it comes to food, he doesnā€™t touch the ground...Should send him to the olympics. I had his brother n he was the same. What you wanna do. Canā€™t police him 24/7.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My Angus is also a super energetic bulldog - which plagues a minority portion of the breed. He is 10 years old now and has gotten to be the usual sleep all day bulldog, but when he was younger, he's a bundle of energy. What I did was teach him how to catch frisbees and so I would spend an hour throwing frisbees in the backyard and he's conked out for a few hours and calm the rest of the day.

Bulldogs can also be quite stubborn if they decide on something - like, if they decide they don't want to use the ramp, they're not gonna. So your options here are: just let him get on the couch however he wants or you can prevent him from going on the couch. I don't have the same problem with my dogs so I never had to worry about it but if I was to prevent my dogs from getting on the couch I'd go to the hardware store and get those plastic rug runners and put it upside-down across the couch. The back of those runners is prickly and sharp so dogs don't like being on it.

Fun fact: The reason I know very well how the back of those runners hurt is because when I was little and get in trouble my mother would make me kneel on top of those upside-down runners until I finish praying the rosary for my penance.:D

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
My Angus is also a super energetic bulldog - which plagues a minority portion of the breed. He is 10 years old now and has gotten to be the usual sleep all day bulldog, but when he was younger, he's a bundle of energy. What I did was teach him how to catch frisbees and so I would spend an hour throwing frisbees in the backyard and he's conked out for a few hours and calm the rest of the day.

Bulldogs can also be quite stubborn if they decide on something - like, if they decide they don't want to use the ramp, they're not gonna. So your options here are: just let him get on the couch however he wants or you can prevent him from going on the couch. I don't have the same problem with my dogs so I never had to worry about it but if I was to prevent my dogs from getting on the couch I'd go to the hardware store and get those plastic rug runners and put it upside-down across the couch. The back of those runners is prickly and sharp so dogs don't like being on it.

Fun fact: The reason I know very well how the back of those runners hurt is because when I was little and get in trouble my mother would make me kneel on top of those upside-down runners until I finish praying the rosary for my penance.:D

Goodness gracious; rug runners can be used for different things. ;-)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If he has a lot of energy... a couple 10-15 minute walk per day will help work it off. it will also be good for you to get out of the house and away for work for a few minutes.

Most Reactions

Members online