Pooper scooper Become a 4 Paw Member Jmlevin's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)

Default Bulldog refusing to go on walks

Hey Guys,

My 5 year old english bulldog named Boris, has become very stubborn with his walks recently, besides going outside and doing his business, he wants to turn right back around and go home. I live in nyc, and he used to love to go to the park and on nice walks with me. He hates going to the groomer which is the direction I Typically would walk him , which he won’t walk down that way anymore. Also doesn’t like going the other way either and will plant himself on floor , or pull back to our building once he has taken care of his business. What can I do to get him to go on walks again and enjoy his usually walks he used to love so much, treats outside haven’t been incentive enough to get him to want to walk. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. 🙏

2. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldog refusing to go on walks

Oh Dear! I sympathise with you. I couldn't get Monty out of our driveway and Buster is very much the same although sometimes he will go down the cul de sac, at his speed which is slow and stop. I have tried everything so can't help I'm afraid. Stubborn dogs!

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

4. Likes Mom of Tucker, helsonwheels liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmlevin View Post
    Hey Guys,

My 5 year old english bulldog named Boris, has become very stubborn with his walks recently, besides going outside and doing his business, he wants to turn right back around and go home. I live in nyc, and he used to love to go to the park and on nice walks with me. He hates going to the groomer which is the direction I Typically would walk him , which he won’t walk down that way anymore. Also doesn’t like going the other way either and will plant himself on floor , or pull back to our building once he has taken care of his business. What can I do to get him to go on walks again and enjoy his usually walks he used to love so much, treats outside haven’t been incentive enough to get him to want to walk. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. ��
    Change direction as if it’s same way to his grooming weeellll, lol. Bring a treat he likes while walking or drive him somewhere he likes n walk there so he gets back on track...

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buster 2013 - Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 RIP
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Change direction as if it’s same way to his grooming weeellll, lol. Bring a treat he likes while walking or drive him somewhere he likes n walk there so he gets back on track...
    Jmlevin said he won't go the other way either!

Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

7. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie (RIP) & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Things to check:
    Any irritation/swelling on his paws
    Check the length of his nails
    Any pain on his legs, especially his hind legs
    His weight

Most English Bulldogs are not the sporty type. They're the "sleep all day" type when they're older. They usually are a butterball of energy as pups and then they slow down a lot past 3 years of age.

I have a 10-year old Amitola English Bulldog (EB with smaller chest, longer nose) that used to catch frisbees until I get tired of throwing the thing. Then he turned about 5 years old and he just catches a few then plops on the grass chewing on the frisbee. At 10 years old, he'll run after the frisbee in excitement and stops after a few steps when he realizes he can't catch up with it anymore and just walks towards it, and walks it back to me. I'm happy he still has that spunk in him but compared to his old self he's become a couch potato dog.

Here's my suggestion after checking that he doesn't have physical issues - take him someplace new with new smells and only soft grass to walk on and see if that gets him walking.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

9. Likes cefe13 liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)

Boris is very funny , because right when I get back up to my apartment , after doing his business, and refusing to walk, he is ready to play fetch with the ball or tug of war, all day and definitely has a lot of energy. He definitely has calmed down since he was a puppy , but still has a ton of energy. When I visit my parents house he loves running around. In there backyard , and will go on walks out there with me, and even enjoys going on hikes with one of his pals. I really think he doesn’t want to walk because of his dislike of the groomer, and thinks I’m tricking him either direction I go, I just wish I could get him over his fear/stubbornness of not wanting to go on walks, because he really loved going to the park/ dog park and hanging out there used to be one of his favorite things , and used to pull me the direction of the park when he was younger instead of back to my apartment.

11. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)

-c463a703-952b-4827-a182-715c6dd221f3-jpeg

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    Jmlevin said he won't go the other way either!
    Missed that.

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmlevin View Post
    -c463a703-952b-4827-a182-715c6dd221f3-jpeg
    You tried the opposite door? Like if you usually go out by the front door, you tried the back way? Or vis versa??

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

How about drive him to the park? Or, if he has a doggy friend ask them to walk with you and Boris. He may just be bored with the same old walk!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)

I live in nyc in apartment building so there is only 1 door to exit, also really don’t take car often unless venturing outside of the city. I also felt when COVID was at its height, I started letting him get away with shorter walks, and he has just got into the routine of trying to turn right back around, which was a huge mistake on my part, because he already was being stubborn with his walks, att the beginning of Boris not wanting to walk I would cross the street and walk thru a walkway which he would do at first but has grown wise to this now and won’t go that way either. Definitely can try to setup some walks with a couple or his friends because then he would be interested in following and going on the walk.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
    Likes (Received)

Firstly, Boris is just gorgeous- I love his name and him!!! As for walking....... Bogey, my son's 8 yo bully- HATES walking. I had him the first 2 years of his life and he hated it then- even as a puppy. I actually bought a wagon because once he decided the walk was over, it was OVER. So, the wagon came on his walks and it did help. Sometimes I could get him to chase the wheels as it was pulled along. The only other way I could get him to walk, was get in the car and drive to a new location. Then, he would walk- ALOT! (Oh those new smells....) I realize that is not an option for you. Enter Jackson, our current owner of us, who is 1 year old. He picks and chooses the days he will walk... sometimes it is over a mile, sometimes it is just past the next door neighbor. I refuse to use the wagon method. I do bring treats and I also have a harness that has a strong handle on the back- when he refuses to walk, I pick him up by the handle, face him in the right direction, and he will usually get going. They are a special breed!! Get a bulldog they said..... wouldn't change the beasty stubbornness for anything!!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads