Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Firstly, Boris is just gorgeous- I love his name and him!!! As for walking......:pleasantry:. Bogey, my son's 8 yo bully- HATES walking. I had him the first 2 years of his life and he hated it then- even as a puppy. I actually bought a wagon because once he decided the walk was over, it was OVER. So, the wagon came on his walks and it did help. Sometimes I could get him to chase the wheels as it was pulled along. The only other way I could get him to walk, was get in the car and drive to a new location. Then, he would walk- ALOT! (Oh those new smells....:excited:) I realize that is not an option for you. Enter Jackson, our current owner of us, who is 1 year old. He picks and chooses the days he will walk... sometimes it is over a mile, sometimes it is just past the next door neighbor. I refuse to use the wagon method. I do bring treats and I also have a harness that has a strong handle on the back- when he refuses to walk, I pick him up by the handle, face him in the right direction, and he will usually get going.:pray: They are a special breed!! Get a bulldog they said.....
wouldn't change the beasty stubbornness for anything!!!

Thank you so much, definitely may try switching harnesses to something with a grip, and totally agreed they are stubborn as a bull, but he is the most loving smart funniest loyal son/best friend I could ask for and am grateful for him everyday.

OP
Jmlevin

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Firstly, Boris is just gorgeous- I love his name and him!!! As for walking......:pleasantry:. Bogey, my son's 8 yo bully- HATES walking. I had him the first 2 years of his life and he hated it then- even as a puppy. I actually bought a wagon because once he decided the walk was over, it was OVER. So, the wagon came on his walks and it did help. Sometimes I could get him to chase the wheels as it was pulled along. The only other way I could get him to walk, was get in the car and drive to a new location. Then, he would walk- ALOT! (Oh those new smells....:excited:) I realize that is not an option for you. Enter Jackson, our current owner of us, who is 1 year old. He picks and chooses the days he will walk... sometimes it is over a mile, sometimes it is just past the next door neighbor. I refuse to use the wagon method. I do bring treats and I also have a harness that has a strong handle on the back- when he refuses to walk, I pick him up by the handle, face him in the right direction, and he will usually get going.:pray: They are a special breed!! Get a bulldog they said..... wouldn't change the beasty stubbornness for anything!!!

Have you tried bringing a ball? Castor is a bit like Boris and we also live in the city (although not in a big city like NYC!). Some days he just refuses to walk so I often bring a tennis ball that I bounce in front of us (but not ideal in busy streets). Another thing we do is bench hopping - Castor likes climbing up on benches, so I will walk up to a bench, sit down and he hops up beside me and gets a treat, and then I lift him down and say, 'let's go to the next bench'. Not sure he understands, but it often works... Our problem is not only stubbornness, though, as Castor probably has pain in his legs and his gait is a bit stiff (he's seven).

Thanks and Haven’t tried bringing a ball, but definitely may be a good idea had he is ball obsessed, always just worried if it goes in the street, but he always stays by my side so may definitely try it out.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks and Haven’t tried bringing a ball, but definitely may be a good idea had he is ball obsessed, always just worried if it goes in the street, but he always stays by my side so may definitely try it out.

Yes, but be careful! I have dropped the ball a few times and it's difficult to go out into the street and fetch a tennis ball while you drag a bulldog...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.