Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 18 of 18

Thread: Bulldog refusing to go on walks

  1. #13
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,809
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    10011

    Default Re: Bulldog refusing to go on walks

    "Definitely can try to setup some walks with a couple or his friends because then he would be interested in following and going on the walk". @Jmlevin This would be the best way for you to get him to walk in your city.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  2. #14
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,774
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)
    6556

    Default Re: Bulldog refusing to go on walks

    Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Things to check:
    Any irritation/swelling on his paws
    Check the length of his nails
    Any pain on his legs, especially his hind legs
    His weight

    Most English Bulldogs are not the sporty type. They're the "sleep all day" type when they're older. They usually are a butterball of energy as pups and then they slow down a lot past 3 years of age.

    I have a 10-year old Amitola English Bulldog (EB with smaller chest, longer nose) that used to catch frisbees until I get tired of throwing the thing. Then he turned about 5 years old and he just catches a few then plops on the grass chewing on the frisbee. At 10 years old, he'll run after the frisbee in excitement and stops after a few steps when he realizes he can't catch up with it anymore and just walks towards it, and walks it back to me. I'm happy he still has that spunk in him but compared to his old self he's become a couch potato dog.

    Here's my suggestion after checking that he doesn't have physical issues - take him someplace new with new smells and only soft grass to walk on and see if that gets him walking.
    Slow down after 3??? Louie must have missed that memo


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #15
    BullyWood Movie Star cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,343
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3352

    Default Re: Bulldog refusing to go on walks

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmlevin View Post
    Boris is very funny , because right when I get back up to my apartment , after doing his business, and refusing to walk, he is ready to play fetch with the ball or tug of war, all day and definitely has a lot of energy. He definitely has calmed down since he was a puppy , but still has a ton of energy. When I visit my parents house he loves running around. In there backyard , and will go on walks out there with me, and even enjoys going on hikes with one of his pals. I really think he doesn’t want to walk because of his dislike of the groomer, and thinks I’m tricking him either direction I go, I just wish I could get him over his fear/stubbornness of not wanting to go on walks, because he really loved going to the park/ dog park and hanging out there used to be one of his favorite things , and used to pull me the direction of the park when he was younger instead of back to my apartment.
    Have you tried bringing a ball? Castor is a bit like Boris and we also live in the city (although not in a big city like NYC!). Some days he just refuses to walk so I often bring a tennis ball that I bounce in front of us (but not ideal in busy streets). Another thing we do is bench hopping - Castor likes climbing up on benches, so I will walk up to a bench, sit down and he hops up beside me and gets a treat, and then I lift him down and say, 'let's go to the next bench'. Not sure he understands, but it often works... Our problem is not only stubbornness, though, as Castor probably has pain in his legs and his gait is a bit stiff (he's seven).


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  4. #16
    Pooper scooper Become a 4 Paw Member Jmlevin's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)
    22

    Default Re: Bulldog refusing to go on walks

    Quote Originally Posted by mer55 View Post
    Firstly, Boris is just gorgeous- I love his name and him!!! As for walking....... Bogey, my son's 8 yo bully- HATES walking. I had him the first 2 years of his life and he hated it then- even as a puppy. I actually bought a wagon because once he decided the walk was over, it was OVER. So, the wagon came on his walks and it did help. Sometimes I could get him to chase the wheels as it was pulled along. The only other way I could get him to walk, was get in the car and drive to a new location. Then, he would walk- ALOT! (Oh those new smells....) I realize that is not an option for you. Enter Jackson, our current owner of us, who is 1 year old. He picks and chooses the days he will walk... sometimes it is over a mile, sometimes it is just past the next door neighbor. I refuse to use the wagon method. I do bring treats and I also have a harness that has a strong handle on the back- when he refuses to walk, I pick him up by the handle, face him in the right direction, and he will usually get going. They are a special breed!! Get a bulldog they said.....
    wouldn't change the beasty stubbornness for anything!!!
    Thank you so much, definitely may try switching harnesses to something with a grip, and totally agreed they are stubborn as a bull, but he is the most loving smart funniest loyal son/best friend I could ask for and am grateful for him everyday.

  5. #17
    Pooper scooper Become a 4 Paw Member Jmlevin's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris
    Likes (Received)
    22

    Default Re: Bulldog refusing to go on walks

    Quote Originally Posted by mer55 View Post
    Firstly, Boris is just gorgeous- I love his name and him!!! As for walking....... Bogey, my son's 8 yo bully- HATES walking. I had him the first 2 years of his life and he hated it then- even as a puppy. I actually bought a wagon because once he decided the walk was over, it was OVER. So, the wagon came on his walks and it did help. Sometimes I could get him to chase the wheels as it was pulled along. The only other way I could get him to walk, was get in the car and drive to a new location. Then, he would walk- ALOT! (Oh those new smells....) I realize that is not an option for you. Enter Jackson, our current owner of us, who is 1 year old. He picks and chooses the days he will walk... sometimes it is over a mile, sometimes it is just past the next door neighbor. I refuse to use the wagon method. I do bring treats and I also have a harness that has a strong handle on the back- when he refuses to walk, I pick him up by the handle, face him in the right direction, and he will usually get going. They are a special breed!! Get a bulldog they said..... wouldn't change the beasty stubbornness for anything!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Have you tried bringing a ball? Castor is a bit like Boris and we also live in the city (although not in a big city like NYC!). Some days he just refuses to walk so I often bring a tennis ball that I bounce in front of us (but not ideal in busy streets). Another thing we do is bench hopping - Castor likes climbing up on benches, so I will walk up to a bench, sit down and he hops up beside me and gets a treat, and then I lift him down and say, 'let's go to the next bench'. Not sure he understands, but it often works... Our problem is not only stubbornness, though, as Castor probably has pain in his legs and his gait is a bit stiff (he's seven).
    Thanks and Haven’t tried bringing a ball, but definitely may be a good idea had he is ball obsessed, always just worried if it goes in the street, but he always stays by my side so may definitely try it out.

  6. #18
    BullyWood Movie Star cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,343
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3352

    Default Re: Bulldog refusing to go on walks

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmlevin View Post
    Thanks and Haven’t tried bringing a ball, but definitely may be a good idea had he is ball obsessed, always just worried if it goes in the street, but he always stays by my side so may definitely try it out.
    Yes, but be careful! I have dropped the ball a few times and it's difficult to go out into the street and fetch a tennis ball while you drag a bulldog...


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •