Dog Constantly Jumping!

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Izellah is a good dog, I'm not going to lie but I'm at a loss on how to fix this problem I'm having with her and it's driving me crazy.

She has these moments of "outburst" where she will go nuts and won't listen to anyone or anything we have to say. When she isn't having these burst of energy, she's is completely fine and listens to me well. Despite the amount of exercise she gets and how much I work her and practise her commands, she still has little to no control when her "skin itches" and she gets the zooms.

I twisted my hip today badly from her jumping on me and me falling back trying to get away. Usually when she has these episodes, she will run around in circles and lunge at me full speed. No matter how I tell her to stop or try to get away from her, she continues to do it. Even when I fully ignore her, she sees it as an opportunity to up the antics. She will even bite me at these times as well but will never do it at any other times.

She also jumps on other people a lot too. She gets too excited when meeting new people and other dogs. She's started to bark on leash because she gets frustrated that she can't greet them. She's never done this before.

Is this normal for her age? She's 15 months old now and it seems like we've been having more bad days than good. What am I doing wrong?

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
It may be her testing her limits. Have you tried crating her when she has those outbursts? Thatā€™s the best thing I can think of for your safety and the safety of others when people visit. Get after her and try to get her in the crate so she realizes it is not an accepted behavior.

As for the leash training, I canā€™t say I have any experience with that, but if she gets plenty of exercise, I canā€™t imagine why, how, or where sheā€™s getting all the energy to act in that way.

I hope others will come along with better suggestions: [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
I don't crate her for stuff like that because I was told constantly to not use the crates as punishment so I've always been afraid to put her in there when she's acting up.

Could it be her heat? She's on her heat right now and I've noticed that she's taken an extreme interest in male dogs as well. Maybe that is partly why she is acting up?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
She, and you, need training...right away, not next week or next month.
Clearly sheā€™s not a mean dog with this kind of behavior but if sheā€™s not controlled she could injure someone, or another dog.
Time to take charge and alpha her! Youā€™ll need training and so will others that live in the household.
Do it...take charge...Itā€™ll be fun!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I don't crate her for stuff like that because I was told constantly to not use the crates as punishment so I've always been afraid to put her in there when she's acting up.
youā€™re not ā€œpunishingā€ her...youā€™re taking charge and putting her where she needs to be until that adrenaline rush has subsided. You should never be afraid to take charge and YELL ā€œNO!!!ā€ ...then stick her butt in the kennel. Yell at her some more. Make sure she understands that her behavior will not be tolerated.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
How do I alpha her?

By alpha He means take charge. You need to show her who is boss and what you say goes, not the other way around. Crates are not used as a punishment, they are used as a safe environment to recollect themselves. Mine is put in there for timeouts, bedtime, and whenever he naps, he goes in there on his own with the door open. There is not negative association with the crate.

The best way to train her and teach her that you are in charge of her, is to firmly tell her no and attempt to correct her, if she does not respond, put her in a timeout and let her out once she cools down. That will help her realize that only a calm behavior is accepted, and the riot behavior is a big no no.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Agree with what others have said. Louie is 3 and is the same way. You should definitely bring a trainer into your home to work with her and with you.

What I have learned with Louie and I know this to be true with other bulldogs is that they get overly excited, want all the attention and do the ā€œlook at me, look at meā€ jumping. The problem is that the adrenaline kicks in and basically takes them over and they get so amped up and they canā€™t control it. Louie will get in the zone and itā€™s very hard to get him out as he canā€™t control it and heā€™s just too amped up. We use a pinch collar and a spray bottle filled with vinegar to spray him with. Weā€™ll also throw him in his crate as well. We know what his triggers are so itā€™s easy to recognize when itā€™s going to happen.

You definitely need to get in a trainer now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
How do I alpha her?

The other way around... YOU need to be the alpha (boss). Like mentioned, you both need training. And yes learn to raise your voice with a firm NO!!! I find, for me, a good way to bring a dog down a few notches is grabbing their flabby jowls. EB has great ones. Hand on each side VERY firmly, & no you wonā€™t hurt her....grab, stretch the jowls outwards with a very firm NO! Put her in the crate. She will understand itā€™s time out for her. Leave her in there for a good 15-20 mins WITHOUT looking at her, talking to her etc. No eye contact n continue to do whatever in the house. If someone comes to the door n she jumps, repeat... The problem with jumping is everyone in a household has to be on the same page. Thereā€™s a time to play n not. These dogs are very powerful n they really can hurt someone when they jump. Why itā€™s important for you to become the Alpha of the house. :)

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Okay, thank you everyone for your help. I will take all these suggestions into consideration.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay, thank you everyone for your help. I will take all these suggestions into consideration.

Gang give great advice.... at 15 months she is definitely pushing her limits so you have to get her to understand you are boss. Nothing in life is free is a great trainer tool that you can use but getting a trainer in for you both is best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.