Help

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
hi,

I honestly have no idea where I have gone wrong with Bruce.

Darren is away on detachment atm for another 3 months and I can't control him, he lunges at me, bites me, I say no and put a flat hand up and it seems to wind him up further.

If i ignore him he continues to jump at me and bite me

He has energy which I understand but won't go out in the rain. He hates walking and cant have him off the lead on the local field.

I also cant afford Ā£10 a day to take him to a padock we use on a Saturday.

Please help I'm at my wits end.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You are the boss of him. If he needs to expel energy, you're going to need to walk him. He doesn't have to like it because you are the boss of him. If he's getting too obnoxious, kennel him. He doesn't have to like it because you are the boss of him. If you remain consistent, he will learn to respect you.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
I will give anything a try at this point. When he gets too much he goes in the kitchen where he sleeps for a time out. The bloody dog behaves in there lol

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sounds like Louie. He doesnā€™t do it to me but he does it to other people. He is very reactive when anyone comes to the house or even to the door...triggers him. Iā€™ll usually put the pinch collar on him so I can correct him. I actually have a trainer/behaviorist coming to the house on Tuesday to do more work with him. Basically with Louie he gets so amped up on adrenaline and then gets in the zone so itā€™s very hard to get him out of it. One of his brothers is the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I agree with anatess, your going to have to do your best to correct him and if he does not comply, kennel him for a timeout. Be as consistent as possible so they learn that you are in charge and itā€™s not upto him when he can act however he wants. I had aome trouble with Brisket for a little bit there, but heā€™s going on the right track and is now potty trained and his nipping has dissipated. Weā€™re working on his table manners and learning the words ā€œoffā€ and ā€œout.ā€ Have to be sure to follow through or it wonā€™t stick. Good luck.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Sounds like Louie. He doesnā€™t do it to me but he does it to other people. He is very reactive when anyone comes to the house or even to the door...triggers him. Iā€™ll usually put the pinch collar on him so I can correct him. I actually have a trainer/behaviorist coming to the house on Tuesday to do more work with him. Basically with Louie he gets so amped up on adrenaline and then gets in the zone so itā€™s very hard to get him out of it. One of his brothers is the same way.

This hoenslty sounds the exact same as Bruce. He just get so excited it is like he can't stop

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
I agree with anatess, your going to have to do your best to correct him and if he does not comply, kennel him for a timeout. Be as consistent as possible so they learn that you are in charge and itā€™s not upto him when he can act however he wants. I had aome trouble with Brisket for a little bit there, but heā€™s going on the right track and is now potty trained and his nipping has dissipated. Weā€™re working on his table manners and learning the words ā€œoffā€ and ā€œout.ā€ Have to be sure to follow through or it wonā€™t stick. Good luck.

Great thanks for the advice. He was amazing up to 7 month, then good after 12 months till he hit 16month and has gone uncontrollable again. I wonder if it also has something to do with his dad not being here atm

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
This hoenslty sounds the exact same as Bruce. He just get so excited it is like he can't stop

That is exactly what it is!!! I would see if you can find a trainer to come to your home and work with you both. An alternative could be to get a pinch collar and then watch some videos on how to properly use it.

One of the things with Louie is he knows heā€™s supposed to sit before people pet him and he will but heā€™ll sit there kind of shaking like a child about to have a tantrum if he isnā€™t getting the attention he wants and then heā€™ll jump and lunge. I think Louie will alwAys be a work in progress. Outside of the house and heā€™s a perfect gentleman!

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Will do some research thank you. Fingers crossed. I think Bruce will always be a work in progress too lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] that a big reason is because his Daddy is not home-and Bruce is taking advantage of you! [MENTION=19086]Amy89[/MENTION] You need to get the pinch (also called HermSpringer) collar-learn how to correctly use it, and use it in house, and outside until he learns to respect it and you. Even though my Bullies don't need it, I still put it on when going to the vet, or elsewhere- just in case of something out of the ordinary happening. They are respectful of it.

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
My EBD used to do those things to me and my sons, he never did it to my husband. But like people have said, you are the boss and ultimately its up to you to really set boundaries and set the tone with him. Time outs, a strong no and standing tall helped with my EBD. Once I started doing that and we got firm with him about our sons also, he stopped. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice given.... also try nothing in life is free it is a very easy training technique until you get a trainer in home to help him know you own his resources and are alpha. With Dad gone he is pushing the envelope

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Update guys

Thank you so much for the advice.

I have been putting him in the kitchen with no form of acknowledgement when he becomes over excited and lunges.

I have also been forcing him to go for a walk on a night even in the rain. Only 20 minutes or so around the block.

I also spend at least the first hour after work sat in the living room playing with him and his toys.

Been giving him a marrowbone to entertain him.

All this seems to be working and he hasn't lunged at me for the past 3 days now, h8ge improvement

Thank you all so much, just need to keep it up

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Update guys

I have been putting him in the kitchen with no form of acknowledgement when he becomes over excited and lunges.

I have also been forcing him to go for a walk on a night even in the rain. Only 20 minutes or so around the block.

I also spend at least the first hour after work sat in the living room playing with him and his toys.

All this seems to be working and he hasn't lunged at me for the past 3 days now, h8ge improvement

Glad to hear heā€™s getting better. Just stick to it and correct him so he learn that he is not above you and below his dad, but below you both. They need to learn their place in the pack. Wishing you continued progress and success!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update guys

A tired dog is a good dog... the energy has to be expelled or heā€™ll use it in ways you donā€™t want

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online