General Question 4 month English bulldog strange habits

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you have came across this and how you handled it. My 4 month old English bulldog (Hank) is very wary of new floors, if I take him anywhere new he will lie flat out on his belly. He won't sit down out with our house and garden, even at the park. He will stand the full time he seems at ease and content. Also he will only poo in our garden, he will hold it in, while being in discomfort (walking stiffly ) till he gets back home. We start puppy classes next month. We are very supportive and try to encourage him as much as possible but just wondering if he will grow out it or if he will continue this behaviour! Either way is fine just wondering thanks in advance! šŸ™‚

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Ok so he lays down flat on a new floor? Or he remains standing?

My 3 mo old is the same way, but I slowly ease him out and let him explore at his own pace. I donā€™t force him anywhere new. Have you had your vet check to see if he has anything that may be causing discomfort in his rear? If he wonā€™t sit, and only feels comfortable releasing in a soft area such as the garden, maybe thereā€™s something going on there?

With brisket, I took his bed with me to my mother in laws, and laid it on the floor, because it is laminate and not tile, he was unsure of it, but after napping and letting his face hang off and touch the floor he began to ease onto it. I did the same thing with the stones outside, and now heā€™s a little more open about walking into new surfaces.

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Hi, thanks for replying!

Hank is a very happy, lovable, sociable puppy. We can't go anywhere without him wanting to stop at every human and dog for attention, which is great, he shows no sign of anxiety or aggression. Only a little nippy because he's a puppy!

So when we take him into other people's houses he will lie belly on floor legs all out flat like a start fish. I have to lift him and have him on my knee until he feels better which is fine he's 14kg at the moment but as he grows it will not be possible.

He has been at the vet a lot for his skin which hopefully seems to have cleared up so he has had full checks quite a few times already no issues with his rear, he has no issues at all sitting etc at home.

It is reassuring to know there are others like him, I think we will just need to keep supporting and encouraging him and hope for the best. Just wish he would at least sit and relax when we are out!

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
That's great to hear!!

Brisket takes time to adjust to a new place, you may want to try and take something familiar with you, like his bed, favorite toy, etc. so that he can feel some sort of comfort.

Often though, dogs who are not comfortable would not lay out flat on their bellies. This just may be a way for him to try and adjust in his own way. Once he is bigger, instead of lifting him onto your lap you can just sit beside him on the floor until he falls asleep and slowly ease away. Once he feels that the surroundings are safe, he should feel better about it.

Plenty of pups love attention! And that's good! that means he's not shy, he just needs time to adjust to new environments. Maybe he will grow out of it. I took Brisket to my mom's for the first time yesterday and he just wanted me to carry him, but I brought along his bed, and his stuffed puppy, and he was comfy in the corner of the room for a while and made his way off the bed and began to explore on his own once he was ready.

They just need to know that no harm will come to them in a strange new place! Just like us, we are cautious in a new environment and around new people we don't know anything about. Let him take his time, and bringing something familiar along will give him a little peace of mind instead of throwing him in the deep end. Think of it as a security blanket.

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Thanks again!

This is my first time writing in a forum, but since getting Hank we have discovered we have needed a lot of advice for him and trips to vets. Bulldogs are pretty high maintenance, we knew this going in but never imagined how much! Haha! So thought this would be a good way to get advice from other owners! Really appreciate your help!

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
That is the same reason why I joined. I did all my research beforehand and knew just how much maintenance they required and the price of keeping them healthy, but we found the breed so beautiful we didnā€™t care lol. Everyone here is very helpful and knowledgeable. Itā€™s a great place to get advice. Good luck and congrats on your new bully!! Pics please!!

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
IMG_20200816_214551.jpg

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
So happy that photo worked! Still getting used to this site!

This is hank, the mischief!

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Aww I couldn't open the attachment, but I see Brisket on your profile photo ... Super cute!!!

Yep Hank is a climber for sure, found him on top of his crate a few times, he is one to watch!! He has fell off the window sil a couple times thankfully the couch and his bed offer a safe landing! We move house soon and this behaviour won't be an option anymore so he will be fine as he gets bigger! As long as he doesn't find other climbing apparatus!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)

Oh my he is adorable!! More pictures pleas!!

I think he thinks he is a cat! [emoji1787][emoji23]
I got my first (I am sure not to be the only) bulldog about 31/2 years ago and now I cannot imagine how boring life would be without my Bella! [emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
OMG!! This is SOOOOOO typical of bulldog behavior!! They do become obsessed with certain things- my first bulldog all of a sudden would not walk past ONE of my kitchen chairs ( I had 2). It was hysterical. We never had it fall over on him, so we could not understand the fear. I even switched them out one day while he was outside, and he knew right away- cowered past the switched chair!! Then we changed dishwashers- the new one had a big black logo on the front- OMG, he would not come in the kitchen for DAYS!! Have you ever seen the video of the bulldog that would not go past an electrical cord? It is hysterical- the dog would turn around and lay flat on his belly and scooch past the cord- legs spread eagle. THESE are the charms of our bulldogs!! He is adorable by the way!!!

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Aww I couldn't open the attachment, but I see Brisket on your profile photo ... Super cute!!!

Yep Hank is a climber for sure, found him on top of his crate a few times, he is one to watch!! He has fell off the window sil a couple times thankfully the couch and his bed offer a safe landing! We move house soon and this behaviour won't be an option anymore so he will be fine as he gets bigger! As long as he doesn't find other climbing apparatus!

Oops here we go;
DB70AC55-20E3-4079-A051-D752541A06EE.jpeg

OP
S

Stace

Aug 24, 2020
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Oh my he is adorable!! More pictures pleas!!

I think he thinks he is a cat! [emoji1787][emoji23]
I got my first (I am sure not to be the only) bulldog about 31/2 years ago and now I cannot imagine how boring life would be without my Bella! [emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a cat brother, still working on the relationship haha! But I think he watches him and tries to copy!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.