Brisket does not like leashes!

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Brisket is only 8 weeks old, and though we have a fenced in backyard, I thought it would be a good idea to start trying to leash train him. I have experience doing this with other breeds, but Brisket was not having it. He got so aggressive towards the leash and began biting it and trying to rip it off. Iā€™ve tried several times and same thing until it is off. I am trying to teach him to ā€œcome insideā€ after doing his business because he wonā€™t until I pick him up and carry him in, but I donā€™t think the timing is right. Should I wait until heā€™s a little older to leash train or just stick it out? Any suggestions?

504B8421-07B9-4148-A228-A69D9D9DA261.jpeg

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I am seriously in LOVE with Brisket. He's so little and sounds like quite a stinker(I LOVE the bad ones)!

He's just being a puppy, keep going. When I got Hazel, I had her on a leash the same day and started walking her but she would bite, and tug at it. Even now, at almost 2, she can not stand her harness and leash. Bully's like being free to do whatever the hell they want and they know the leash doesn't allow for their free spriritedness. The leash means no freedom, but it's best to get him used to it no matter his attitude toward it.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I am seriously in LOVE with Brisket. He's so little and sounds like quite a stinker(I LOVE the bad ones)!

He's just being a puppy, keep going. When I got Hazel, I had her on a leash the same day and started walking her but she would bite, and tug at it. Even now, at almost 2, she can not stand her harness and leash. Bully's like being free to do whatever the hell they want and they know the leash doesn't allow for their free spriritedness. The leash means no freedom, but it's best to get him used to it no matter his attitude toward it.

Lol he was the runt of the little so a little on the small side but his attitude does not show it!

I will definitely keep trying to get him adjusted to it. I donā€™t plan on keeping him on the leash all the time. My other fur baby was just trained to teach him boundary lines and how to stay close to me when going for walks and that what I eventually plan on doing with Brisket since we live in a subdivision there is little to no traffic, but feel like he may be a little too upset about it right now

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Leashes are an important aspect of training. He is young, and you are doing it right introducing it early. Are you using a harness? Bullies should never have a collar around their neck attached to the leash. I would start with getting him used to the harness first. Put it on him when he goes out to potty. He won't like it at first, but will adjust. Then once he is comfortable with it, start the leash. He will buck you every step of the way, but you are in charge. Don't spend alot of $$ on harnesses, go to Walmart and get cheap ones, he will grow out of it frequently!! He is so darned cute!!!

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Leashes are an important aspect of training. He is young, and you are doing it right introducing it early. Are you using a harness? Bullies should never have a collar around their neck attached to the leash. I would start with getting him used to the harness first. Put it on him when he goes out to potty. He won't like it at first, but will adjust. Then once he is comfortable with it, start the leash. He will buck you every step of the way, but you are in charge. Don't spend alot of $$ on harnesses, go to Walmart and get cheap ones, he will grow out of it frequently!! He is so darned cute!!!

I did not try with a harness! great tip. The bucking is an understatement lol. He now throws himself on the ground and just lays there, I have to pick him up to get him moving. I never tug on the leash because I don't want to harm him in any way around his neck. I will go ahead and get him a harness and try it that way to see if it helps. Here are some picks of just earlier today. Just throwing tantrums!
IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3129.JPG

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You can bring him to my house and leave him for a few years so I can teach him about proper leash/harness stuff. Itā€™s really the only place he will ever learn properly [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
You can bring him to my house and leave him for a few years so I can teach him about proper leash/harness stuff. Itā€™s really the only place he will ever learn properly [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I think Iā€™d rather stick it out and adjust to him! Lol!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I did not try with a harness! great tip. The bucking is an understatement lol. He now throws himself on the ground and just lays there, I have to pick him up to get him moving. I never tug on the leash because I don't want to harm him in any way around his neck. I will go ahead and get him a harness and try it that way to see if it helps. Here are some picks of just earlier today. Just throwing tantrums!
View attachment 119529 View attachment 119530

Could he be MORE adorable?!! I always use harnesses w/there guys... it's much easier, and they don't choke themselves while they're pulling. I would continue getting him used to it, but MOST bulldogs HATE leashes/harnesses so you have been warned!!! Lol

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
They never like them at that age! Just keep putting it on and heā€™ll get used to it.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
He's such a rebel! But provides plenty of giggles and laughs! The only time I plan on using a leash is when out in public or near traffic for his safety. But want him adjusted to it by then to teach him boundary lines. We're working on it! Just got him a harness from Wal-Mart and he is not liking that AT ALL! lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

You are too good to make such a wonderful offer.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You are too good to make such a wonderful offer.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you haven't noticed by my amazing training that Brutus and Hazel have, it's only right that I offer my services. It's for the best interest of Brisket. :D

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He's such a rebel! But provides plenty of giggles and laughs! The only time I plan on using a leash is when out in public or near traffic for his safety. But want him adjusted to it by then to teach him boundary lines. We're working on it! Just got him a harness from Wal-Mart and he is not liking that AT ALL! lol

You are ruining his life hahaha.(that's how they think)

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
You are ruining his life hahaha.(that's how they think)

Lol! Isnā€™t that how we all think at a certain age??

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Mochi is not a fan of the leash either and would lay on her back like brisket so she can get a hold of it and chew it. I decided to just throw it on the ground and let her go to town and just hoped that she would get tired of it. It worked and so now its gotten a lit easier to put the leash on her. She will still want to bite the leash but its almost like she just wants to hold it too as we are walking and once something 3lse catches her attention then she drops it and forgets about it.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.