Jackson's Training!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]- I ordered that jowl leash the first day you posted the link. It came yesterday- GAME CHANGER!! At first he hated it, as he has never had anything up around his neck ( really jowls). However after 5 minutes of letting him walk with it on, he was fine. A quick yank and he is redirected. I still use high value treats in addition, but this leash has really helped. Also, he gets very sluggish once we make the turn to go home. I was constantly pulling the handle on his regular harness to get him walking. Now, this leash gives him that yank to keep going. Today we walked past a construction site that had 3 generators running. He looked hard at them, I gave him a yank, we walked past them, he did not even try to lunge. Once past, and out of the loud range, I made him Look, sit and stay and HE DID!! Treat reward. PROGRESS!! Thanks for the tip!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]- I ordered that jowl leash the first day you posted the link. It came yesterday- GAME CHANGER!! At first he hated it, as he has never had anything up around his neck ( really jowls). However after 5 minutes of letting him walk with it on, he was fine. A quick yank and he is redirected. I still use high value treats in addition, but this leash has really helped. Also, he gets very sluggish once we make the turn to go home. I was constantly pulling the handle on his regular harness to get him walking. Now, this leash gives him that yank to keep going. Today we walked past a construction site that had 3 generators running. He looked hard at them, I gave him a yank, we walked past them, he did not even try to lunge. Once past, and out of the loud range, I made him Look, sit and stay and HE DID!! Treat reward. PROGRESS!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Glad itā€™s workings! Keep burning the energy, eventually he will stop n just walk as heā€™ll know your the boss on his walks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@helsonwheels- I ordered that jowl leash the first day you posted the link. It came yesterday- GAME CHANGER!! At first he hated it, as he has never had anything up around his neck ( really jowls). However after 5 minutes of letting him walk with it on, he was fine. A quick yank and he is redirected. I still use high value treats in addition, but this leash has really helped. Also, he gets very sluggish once we make the turn to go home. I was constantly pulling the handle on his regular harness to get him walking. Now, this leash gives him that yank to keep going. Today we walked past a construction site that had 3 generators running. He looked hard at them, I gave him a yank, we walked past them, he did not even try to lunge. Once past, and out of the loud range, I made him Look, sit and stay and HE DID!! Treat reward. PROGRESS!! Thanks for the tip!!!

stay consistent.... the buggers are smart. And, heā€™ll also respond better when tired. Such great work.

jsygrls

Jul 17, 2020
Port Orange Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charles Barkley aka "Bubba"
Hello all. I'm new to this site and exploring it when and came across your threads. Can you give me the name and brand of the jowl leash your trying. I have a 3.5 year old male English bulldog that I have agreed to care of and I am learning as i go. My dog has pull and likes to run to other people at times and I sure would like to work on correcting this behavior.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello all. I'm new to this site and exploring it when and came across your threads. Can you give me the name and brand of the jowl leash your trying. I have a 3.5 year old male English bulldog that I have agreed to care of and I am learning as i go. My dog has pull and likes to run to other people at times and I sure would like to work on correcting this behavior.
https://www.amazon.ca/Mendota-ME02801-2-Inchx6-Feet-Slip-Lead

I hope I copy and pasted the link correctly. If not, I got it on Amazon and it is a Mendota Products Slip lead. Jackson is doing very well with it and it gives me much more control than just the harness. I make sure the slip lead is up around his jowls. No pulling on his airway! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] is a great resource for this stuff- it was her recommendation . Hope all goes well with your bully!!

jsygrls

Jul 17, 2020
Port Orange Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charles Barkley aka "Bubba"
Thanks for your reply, the link was a dead end but i used Google and found the leash.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 204

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
https://www.amazon.ca/Mendota-ME02801-2-Inchx6-Feet-Slip-Lead

I hope I copy and pasted the link correctly. If not, I got it on Amazon and it is a Mendota Products Slip lead. Jackson is doing very well with it and it gives me much more control than just the harness. I make sure the slip lead is up around his jowls. No pulling on his airway! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] is a great resource for this stuff- it was her recommendation . Hope all goes well with your bully!!

Iā€™m glad itā€™s working out. Great to see progress!

My bully Jake is a special case...He had an accident so I was nursing him... heā€™s much better now... out of nowhere he bolted after the lawnmower. Pick it up n thank god had enough time to toss the lawnmower but it ripped top of his paws 2 toe nails gone n some flesh. All this in 5 seconds.. Heā€™s going to be fine. Yes anxiety.. He was completely at the other end of the yard n I have a big yard so my partner never saw him coming as his head was turned that second. So just another adventure with Jake.. :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

My bully Jake is a special case...He had an accident so I was nursing him... heā€™s much better now... out of nowhere he bolted after the lawnmower. Pick it up n thank god had enough time to toss the lawnmower but it ripped top of his paws 2 toe nails gone n some flesh. All this in 5 seconds.. Heā€™s going to be fine. Yes anxiety.. He was completely at the other end of the yard n I have a big yard so my partner never saw him coming as his head was turned that second. So just another adventure with Jake.. :)

Oh wow. He is lucky he didn't lose a paw! Thank goodness he is OK.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

HOLY CROW!!! Thank goodness he is going to be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Heā€™s extremely lucky. Thank god for NuStock! Need to re-order more...

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]- OMG!! So frightening!! Jackson is coming along. He has been MUCH better with trucks coming down the street, and louder trucks. One night on our walk, I was distracted talking to a neighbor and a diesel pick up truck ( which would normally send him into his frenzy because of the engine noise) came down the street and before I could react (usually try to head it off at the pass) he came and sat in front of me with no prompting, waiting for his treat, like, "mama, I was a good boy, where is my reward?!!?". He got 2 treats!. Today I took him out to the lanai during mowing and trimming, he started his frenzy, so he got put back in the house with no treat. I challenged him a few minutes later, and he was mUCH better, only slight head turning away from me and anxious, but no lunging at the screen. It is definitely a work in progress, and I probably will never really trust him around loud machines, but he is getting much better. Than jowl harness has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in getting his attention!! Hope Jake is ok!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]- OMG!! So frightening!! Jackson is coming along. He has been MUCH better with trucks coming down the street, and louder trucks. One night on our walk, I was distracted talking to a neighbor and a diesel pick up truck ( which would normally send him into his frenzy because of the engine noise) came down the street and before I could react (usually try to head it off at the pass) he came and sat in front of me with no prompting, waiting for his treat, like, "mama, I was a good boy, where is my reward?!!?". He got 2 treats!. Today I took him out to the lanai during mowing and trimming, he started his frenzy, so he got put back in the house with no treat. I challenged him a few minutes later, and he was mUCH better, only slight head turning away from me and anxious, but no lunging at the screen. It is definitely a work in progress, and I probably will never really trust him around loud machines, but he is getting much better. Than jowl harness has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in getting his attention!! Hope Jake is ok!!!

Itā€™s all about training but yes definitely never trust him. Make sure youā€™re always holding that leash in a relax mode or heā€™ll feel your tension n want to be the alpha. :). Jake will be fine thank you.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online