BREAKTHROUGH with Jackson's BAD Behavior

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Last week I posted a dilemma with Jackson and loud trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers etc. Called a behaviorist, and he wanted $1500 for a 3 hour session! With many of your comments, I just knew I had to try something to redirect his behavior. Firstly, Jackson has been the easiest puppy to train that I have every had- easily redirected, potty trained easily, catches on quickly. That said, he still has that stubborn bulldog mentality that we all love and cherish, but INDOORS, I can usually control all unwanted behavior. I realized, I did this with treats- he is EXTREMELY food motivated and it has worked with him. Then I realized, I never really did and OUTDOOR training- he walks on a leash, greets all neighbors and dogs with ease, and does his business with no problem- until this lunging/barking/growling started recently.
First day of training: Took him outside, had HIGH value treats in hand ( cheese and hotdogs). Got him interested in playing hard with his ball, and when his attention was completely on his play, I sharply said "Jackson LOOK!". I held up the treat, and he immediately came and sat! ( which he must do for all treats). We did this several times, and it was great response every time.
Then, we went "on the road". Walking down the street, I saw a big truck turning onto our street- I got down on the ground with him, talked softly while holding him around the chest, and then he heard the truck. He started to lunge and bark, I shouted "Jackson LOOK"! and he immediately turned to me, and yes, I had cheese in hand. He did try to lunge, but the barking was MUCH less and once Ihad his attention, he forgot about the truck! I am taking him outside about 10 times a day, and after day 3, I no longer got down on the ground with him. Instead, as soon as I see a truck coming, I shout " Jackson LOOK" and he is front and center to me!! Monday was garbage day, and we sat in our front yard when the trucks came through. He focused on me for the most part, but kept turning towards the truck as it emptied the bins 2 houses before me and 2 after, and we had minimal struggle. We are not THERE yet, but it has been a very big breakthrough to get him to even partially ignore the noisy trucks. Ken took him for a walk yesterday, and the lawnmowers were out. Ken had his treats in hand and when Jackson started to get frenzied, "Jackson LOOK," got his attention, redirected him and Ken even walked by a running mower and Jackson was fine! I know there are some that may not approve of the treat method, but I have learned in bulldogs, you have to find what works! As he becomes proficient at the outside redirect, I wil not offer a treat every time. I will keep him guessing.
So very happy with our little guy! I know we have a long way to go, but it is a good beginning!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Great news and Castor agrees that treats are good for training. Why would they not be? You want training to be a positive experience and if he is food motivated I see no reason not to go for treats. I'm no dog expert, but I guess they are like us - some humans are motivated by money, some by praise and for some people such rewards have no valde unless they themselves feel happy by what they have accomplished.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
...but it is a good beginning!!
You are establishing a "default behavior". This default can help in ways far beyond distraction from trucks and the like. Excellent work, Mom!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Good job!!! If it works then keep doing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey, I f it works go for it....but remember, the....I will keep him guessing? One day might not work as these buggers are wise. Heā€™s going to look at you n guarantee youā€™ll read his eyes... Hey mom, whereā€™s da cheese??? Keep up the good work n keep us posted.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hey, I f it works go for it....but remember, the....I will keep him guessing? One day might not work as these buggers are wise. Heā€™s going to look at you n guarantee youā€™ll read his eyes... Hey mom, whereā€™s da cheese??? Keep up the good work n keep us posted.
OMG! You are SO right!! Last night, took him out for just a quick pee, (didn't grab his treats) as it was still way too hot to walk- a neighbor was out in front of my house, so we chatted. Sure enough, a mail truck came down the road and I did not have any treats on me. I stood tall, yelled "Jackson Look!" which he did for a nano second and knew by my hands I had nothing.:evil: Nada. He lunged at that truck like never before. My bad. He is too smart for me!! Lesson learned. Back to square one.:fie:

- - - Updated - - -

OMG! You are SO right!! Last night, took him out for just a quick pee, (didn't grab his treats) as it was still way too hot to walk- a neighbor was out in front of my house, so we chatted. Sure enough, a mail truck came down the road and I did not have any treats on me. I stood tall, yelled "Jackson Look!" which he did for a nano second and knew by my hands I had nothing.:evil: Nada. He lunged at that truck like never before. My bad. He is too smart for me!! Lesson learned. Back to square one.:fie:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION]... all the dogs Iā€™ve ever trained I never used treats. I know I use to many years ago but realize donā€™t matter the breed theyā€™ll expect their treat. As pups we often use treats to start them off. I believe in more of praising with GOOD BOY n use your hands petting n playing with good boy for like 5 seconds. So now that you know his stomach comes first, drop the treats n get that leash on the link attached. Make sure that little leather piece you slide it down so it stays lock. Also absolutely make sure you snug it right under the jaw bone (jowls). If he goes for another truck or anything, give it a good swift yank. Heā€™ll stop. Donā€™t worry about his airways as itā€™s much much lower. EB their necks are very powerful so youā€™re not damaging anything. The swift yank will take him out from his mission.

Check these leashes on amazon .COM as Iā€™m sure itā€™s cheaper in the US than us here in Canada. :)

https://www.amazon.ca/Mendota-ME028...ocphy=9001353&hvtargid=pla-356012346141&psc=1

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Last week I posted a dilemma with Jackson and loud trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers etc. Called a behaviorist, and he wanted $1500 for a 3 hour session! With many of your comments, I just knew I had to try something to redirect his behavior. Firstly, Jackson has been the easiest puppy to train that I have every had- easily redirected, potty trained easily, catches on quickly. That said, he still has that stubborn bulldog mentality that we all love and cherish, but INDOORS, I can usually control all unwanted behavior. I realized, I did this with treats- he is EXTREMELY food motivated and it has worked with him. Then I realized, I never really did and OUTDOOR training- he walks on a leash, greets all neighbors and dogs with ease, and does his business with no problem- until this lunging/barking/growling started recently.
First day of training: Took him outside, had HIGH value treats in hand ( cheese and hotdogs). Got him interested in playing hard with his ball, and when his attention was completely on his play, I sharply said "Jackson LOOK!". I held up the treat, and he immediately came and sat! ( which he must do for all treats). We did this several times, and it was great response every time.
Then, we went "on the road". Walking down the street, I saw a big truck turning onto our street- I got down on the ground with him, talked softly while holding him around the chest, and then he heard the truck. He started to lunge and bark, I shouted "Jackson LOOK"! and he immediately turned to me, and yes, I had cheese in hand. He did try to lunge, but the barking was MUCH less and once Ihad his attention, he forgot about the truck! I am taking him outside about 10 times a day, and after day 3, I no longer got down on the ground with him. Instead, as soon as I see a truck coming, I shout " Jackson LOOK" and he is front and center to me!! Monday was garbage day, and we sat in our front yard when the trucks came through. He focused on me for the most part, but kept turning towards the truck as it emptied the bins 2 houses before me and 2 after, and we had minimal struggle. We are not THERE yet, but it has been a very big breakthrough to get him to even partially ignore the noisy trucks. Ken took him for a walk yesterday, and the lawnmowers were out. Ken had his treats in hand and when Jackson started to get frenzied, "Jackson LOOK," got his attention, redirected him and Ken even walked by a running mower and Jackson was fine! I know there are some that may not approve of the treat method, but I have learned in bulldogs, you have to find what works! As he becomes proficient at the outside redirect, I wil not offer a treat every time. I will keep him guessing.
So very happy with our little guy! I know we have a long way to go, but it is a good beginning!!

fantastic start... this is awesome. Keep the treats coming and remove them as he progresses, as you said keep him guessing. Sometimes even just give him great praise.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.