Walking issues

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
So Bruce is a Night.are of you walk him anywhere other than the estate I live on. Even then he can be a little pully. A standard harness makes it a million times worse. So I bought him a halti no pull harness with 2 clips, much better but still uses it to his advantage.

I have just ordered one of these. Has anyone used or heard of them?

Screenshot_20200625-202424_Samsung Internet.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So Bruve is a Night.are of you walk him anywhere other than the estate I live on. Even then he can be a little pully. A standard harness makes it a million times worse. So I bought him a halti no pull harness with 2 clips, much better but still uses it to his advantage.

I have just ordered one of these. Has anyone used or heard of them?
View attachment 119294

Iā€™ve used one of them on my 2. Nyala never has pulled once but Jake did. I used that type of collar n worked great. Eventually he stopped pulling n heā€™s back on a harness. He also wears a thin leather collar in case he decides to pull or sees something or doesnā€™t listen so I can grab him fast. But yes thatā€™s a good collar. If you keep walking him heā€™ll drain his energy n youā€™ll see heā€™ll stop pulling n his own... :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You can try a Martingale collar.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Iā€™ve used one of them on my 2. Nyala never has pulled once but Jake did. I used that type of collar n worked great. Eventually he stopped pulling n heā€™s back on a harness. He also wears a thin leather collar in case he decides to pull or sees something or doesnā€™t listen so I can grab him fast. But yes thatā€™s a good collar. If you keep walking him heā€™ll drain his energy n youā€™ll see heā€™ll stop pulling n his own... :)

Great thank you for this. Just need to try and figure out how to deal with anxiety about cars. He hates them and I can see him stress when they go past. I walk him quite late so there are a lot less as it is not nice to see him stressed. Which in turn makes his pulling a lot worse.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have one that looks very similar to that for Buster. I always use a harness on him when going for walks though. My problem is the opposite of yours. Buster plants his feet and won't go, just like Monty did! I don't like to drag on his neck hence the harness but I would think if you used a collar and harness you would have more control for pulling. I know you can buy leads that are separated at the end with two clasps.
Sorry, I can't help about his stress.

https://www.chewy.com/guardian-gear-2-way-dog-coupler-black/dp/134975?utm_source=google-product

https://www.amazon.com/PetPDC-ComfortFlex-Limited-Collar-Large/dp/B005S6WTUA

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I have one that looks very similar to that for Buster. I always use a harness on him when going for walks though. My problem is the opposite of yours. Buster plants his feet and won't go, just like Monty did! I don't like to drag on his neck hence the harness but I would think if you used a collar and harness you would have more control for pulling. I know you can buy leads that are separated at the end with two clasps.
Sorry, I can't help about his stress.

https://www.chewy.com/guardian-gear-2-way-dog-coupler-black/dp/134975?utm_source=google-product

https://www.amazon.com/PetPDC-ComfortFlex-Limited-Collar-Large/dp/B005S6WTUA

...plants his feet and won't go... :) Just like Castor some days. Any advice apart from patience / arm strength / treats?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Feet plants! Loll
[MENTION=19086]Amy89[/MENTION] When I got Jake he was 2.5yrs old living on an acreage. Basically he wasnā€™t use to city life. His walks arenā€™t long like Nyala/Duke. I purposely walked Jake on a very busy street so he gets use to noise. Like yours he doesnā€™t like vehicles, lawnmower, whipper snapper them grass hedge cutters....Jake does have anxiety n worst than Duke his brother. I should of been clearer about collar n harness. Like @1chumy mentioned, I have a leash with 2 clips each end. I would clip on on the harness n one on collar. If he pulled I would give little yanks on the collar. If he wasnā€™t pulling, he was walking on the harness side. He eventually understood if he pulls he gets yanked. But he definitely got yanked halfway of his walks n slowly stopped pulling. Thatā€™s when u know heā€™s burning energy on his own harness. His collar somewhat like what youā€™re buying is a Martingale collar. A lot of people are against chokers. I personally find theyā€™re the best to train. You just have to make sure when walking it lays under the jaw bone. Bulldogs have powerful necks. When you give that little yank under jaw area, itā€™s nowhere near his breathing area. Basically it takes patience n time. Heā€™ll get it.. :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
...plants his feet and won't go... :) Just like Castor some days. Any advice apart from patience / arm strength / treats?

If Buster feels any resistance on his harness at all, no matter how slight, he stops! I relax the tension on the lead then he will maybe walk, maybe being the key word here! Luckily there is rarely traffic on our street so there is no fear of being run over. Monty wouldn't go, period! I couldn't get him out of the driveway. Nothing helped.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.