12 week old playing tug of war with son's shorts and leash

HeatherPyle

Apr 11, 2020
Allentown, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha
I have a 12 week old that is jumping up on my 26 yo son and biting and growling on his shorts--almost like tug of war. She does the same exact thing with when I leash train. I started yesterday with placing a treat on her nose and giving the command "release" and if she doesn't release I say "Mocha" and make a kiss sound until she looks at me which makes her release the leash. Yesterday, she was picking up fine Today, I attempted to do leash training and it was a complete disaster. She listened to no commands and her growl was louder and tugging worse than yesterday. I understand that it's consistency and takes time. She is also biting my son's feet but primarily pants and short legs. She doesn't seem to do that to me. I am the one that usually feeds her and my son and I split taking her out. This behavior seems to occur in the morning when my son is making coffee and mid-day when he is making lunch. When I am in the kitchen and my son is there. She will sit with her back to me, facing him. She doesn't do anything but we started picking up on this as well. Yesterday, I started having my son feed her, giving her commands and doing correction as I feel she is treating my son as an equal. My son was playing with him in the beginning and is not doing it so much due to her behavior. I also noticed she will go to nip/bite when he is sitting on the ground with her (most of where the niping/biting) occurs outside of pant/short legs. My son is getting frustrated with her and I am worried about her behavior is getting worse and not better. Am I doing something wrong? Is it an issue of pecking order? Help :)

Update: My son feels as if the only time she is biting and going for his pant leg is when he is making his food. He said he noted that after he makes his food and removes himself, she goes to sleep. He said when he fed her today, she was a angel and outside of him making his food she is fine with him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a 12 week old that is jumping up on my 26 yo son and biting and growling on his shorts--almost like tug of war. She does the same exact thing with when I leash train. I started yesterday with placing a treat on her nose and giving the command "release" and if she doesn't release I say "Mocha" and make a kiss sound until she looks at me which makes her release the leash. Yesterday, she was picking up fine Today, I attempted to do leash training and it was a complete disaster. She listened to no commands and her growl was louder and tugging worse than yesterday. I understand that it's consistency and takes time. She is also biting my son's feet but primarily pants and short legs. She doesn't seem to do that to me. I am the one that usually feeds her and my son and I split taking her out. This behavior seems to occur in the morning when my son is making coffee and mid-day when he is making lunch. When I am in the kitchen and my son is there. She will sit with her back to me, facing him. She doesn't do anything but we started picking up on this as well. Yesterday, I started having my son feed her, giving her commands and doing correction as I feel she is treating my son as an equal. My son was playing with him in the beginning and is not doing it so much due to her behavior. I also noticed she will go to nip/bite when he is sitting on the ground with her (most of where the niping/biting) occurs outside of pant/short legs. My son is getting frustrated with her and I am worried about her behavior is getting worse and not better. Am I doing something wrong? Is it an issue of pecking order? Help :)

Update: My son feels as if the only time she is biting and going for his pant leg is when he is making his food. He said he noted that after he makes his food and removes himself, she goes to sleep. He said when he fed her today, she was a angel and outside of him making his food she is fine with him.

she is being a normal puppy, looking for her place in the new pack.

consistency, by both of you and patience is key. Schedule play time, potty, time, meal time... she will learn quick as long as all are on the same page.

nothing in Life is free Is a great day training technique

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yes, normal puppy play. All 3 of mine would grab onto clothes and tug when they were that young. Just keep telling her no and redirect her attention. She will eventually grow out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

HeatherPyle

Apr 11, 2020
Allentown, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha
Thanks. I have been paying more attention to the times in which she is doing it. It seems to be right after she eats in the AM and in the afternoon. Right after she gets fiesty, she goes to sleep. I am wondering if it is her way of saying she is tired :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
English Bulldogs usually get the "zoomies" in the morning, and at night! That is what they do-it's a "bullie thang!" [MENTION=19586]HeatherPyle[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.