UGH... I'm at my wit's end!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Blue, the bulldog that killed her, was a Shorty bulldog who was raised to fight. He weighed about 55 pounds, so in no way was he a French bulldog. Shorty bulldogs are supposed to be a mix of English bulldogs and French bulldogs and Staffordshire bull terriers etc. but mainly no boston terrier or pug in them. The discerning part is that the other bulldog also had blood on him, so he was either curious or also attacked his master. There's no way a French bulldog would attacks its master so that makes me think it was either curious, or was also a dog fighting ring rescue. The border collie had no blood on it.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Is Nyala a Shorty bulldog ? I can't remember what you classified her as.

https://people.com/crime/woman-killed-by-french-bulldog/

aww i see....sure is scarry how ever it went down :( and Nyala is a Bantam i believe...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Blue, the bulldog that killed her, was a Shorty bulldog who was raised to fight. He weighed about 55 pounds, so in no way was he a French bulldog. Shorty bulldogs are supposed to be a mix of English bulldogs and French bulldogs and Staffordshire bull terriers etc. but mainly no boston terrier or pug in them. The discerning part is that the other bulldog also had blood on him, so he was either curious or also attacked his master. There's no way a French bulldog would attacks its master so that makes me think it was either curious, or was also a dog fighting ring rescue. The border collie had no blood on it.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Is Nyala a Shorty bulldog ? I can't remember what you classified her as.

Nyala is a Bantam Bulldogge. Old breed. I haven’t heard of this story on this side of Canada. Just read your post. Don’t make se a Frenchie doing that to a 52yr old woman. Frenchie you pick it up and throw it out if it turned on me...

The article also says “there were also signs of struggle throughout the house.” Struggles from who or what? Feels more like a struggle with a human n dogs chewed on her cause of the blood.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@helsonwheels Is Nyala a Shorty bulldog ? I can't remember what you classified her as.

Thanks for this follow-up! I had never heard of Shorty bulldogs. I find the whole idea of dog fights so horrible and it is difficult to understand how poeple can treat creatures like that. I've seen some animal police programs (animal planet) on such dogs being rescued and it makes me so sad that there is so little respect for the living. I can understand that a dog can be dangerous but not that people willingly train them to be so (even less that some poor dogs are used as bait).

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When you brought Willow into the fold you had the best intentions in mind...that's a good, no, that's a great thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out as we hope, expect. Behavior like you are experiencing can upset the whole family dynamic and sometimes drastic measures must be taken. The first steps you take toward resolution should be about protecting people from injury...that's you, your family, and anyone else that might come in contact with your bully kids. Once someone gets bit...that changes everything. Should it come down to re-homing...You do not want to try to re-home any dog that has bitten a human, by accident or not. Reputable rescue groups will not take a known biter...the liability is simply to great. Willow may need to be in a single dog home. I can tell you from lots of experience...the choice to re-home is very difficult but often for the best.

Who to put in the crate???...The one acting out as Alpha the most is the one needing AA...(Alphatude Adjustment). Yes, I just made that up...Google it...nothing comes up. :D

LMAO!!! Willow has AA written ALL over her... she must KNOW that things are going to change. She has been very careful the last couple of days... Hmm...

Thank YOU so much for your help/advice... always appreciated!!!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@helsonwheels Is Nyala a Shorty bulldog ? I can't remember what you classified her as.

You know that is so frustrating that they posted the pic w/the french bulldog on the article...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You know that is so frustrating that they posted the pic w/the french bulldog on the article...
The article states that the attacking dog was about 55lbs. The dog in the pic is not a 55 lb dog. She could not hold a 55lb dog with one arm...no way. The story is very sad though and could have been avoided if common sense had prevailed. After her B/F was attacked not once but TWICE, the dog, given its history, should have been put down.. Bite inhibition lost is NEVER recovered, IMO.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The article states that the attacking dog was about 55lbs. The dog in the pic is not a 55 lb dog. She could not hold a 55lb dog with one arm...no way. The story is very sad though and could have been avoided if common sense had prevailed. After her B/F was attacked not once but TWICE, the dog, given its history, should have been put down.. Bite inhibition lost is NEVER recovered, IMO.

Agreed, but sometimes one gets bitten when trying to break up a fight between 2 bulldogs, so that doesn't count towards bite inhibition since it wasn't intentional.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Agreed, but sometimes one gets bitten when trying to break up a fight between 2 bulldogs, so that doesn't count towards bite inhibition since it wasn't intentional.
Yes!...it should be this way but often it isn’t. It all depends on the Rescue Org policy.

Most Reactions