Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17

Thread: Barking in crate

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Allentown, NJ
    Posts
    11
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Barking in crate

    I have a 9 week old EB I got last Saturday. My son and I have been crating her periodically throughout the day (split an hour or two in and an hour or two out etc). She doesn't give me much of a fight at night but during the day is a living Hell. She will bark and bark and bark for 30 minutes or more and sometimes she will rattle around in there/get up on hind legs). I feel as though the barking has gotten worse over the course of the week. I have been trying to teach her "crate" command and place treats in the crate to crate her. She is to the point that she will not go in voluntarily, she figures out how to get treat without getting in the crate or backing out. She hasn't had an accident when she is confined to kitchen after day 3. She will sleep in the bed or play toys. How long does it take to get a puppy to stop the barking when crating? What is the timeframe to crate train? I have the crate in the kitchen where she can see my son and I. I have moved the crate to the living room where we are and no change. I have tried a towel over the crate (out of sight out of mind) and nada. Any suggestions would be great. I am trying to get her in a schedule and get used to the crate for when we return to work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

    Thanks
    Heather

  2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  3. #2
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,723
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13026

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    Hi there..I presume you’re all home in the day to split up crating hours. Is there a reason why she’s crate in the day? Cause if you have no issues at night, why crate her in the day? You might want to get a pen which is bigger n gives her more freedom. Just a thought.

    https://www.walmart.com/browse/pets/...619487_5728103

  4. #3
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Allentown, NJ
    Posts
    11
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    We are home right now during the day with her until restrictions are lifted. I have been crating her 9-10 am, 12-1pm, 4-5 pm and then at night. I am crating her so she gets used to being in it md building up the time in there as I will be able to come home for lunch.

    Will a pen promote going in the house? I don't wnt to go backwards with her. She has gone accident free two days and the other 5 days one accident a day only not her fault.

    I bought at 37 inch cute with a divider. I gave her enough room to send up and turn around. He can sprawl out the width of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Hi there..I presume you’re
    all home in the day to split up crating hours. Is there a reason why she’s crate in the day? Cause if you have no issues at night, why crate her in the day? You might want to get a pen which is bigger n gives her more freedom. Just a thought.

    https://www.walmart.com/browse/pets/...619487_5728103
    Heather

  5. #4
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,723
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13026

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherPyle View Post
    We are home right now during the day with her until restrictions are lifted. I have been crating her 9-10 am, 12-1pm, 4-5 pm and then at night. I am crating her so she gets used to being in it md building up the time in there as I will be able to come home for lunch.

    Will a pen promote going in the house? I don't wnt to go backwards with her. She has gone accident free two days and the other 5 days one accident a day only not her fault.

    I bought at 37 inch cute with a divider. I gave her enough room to send up and turn around. He can sprawl out the width of it.
    Ok I was wondering why. An hour isn’t so bad. Pens are bigger n “might” going in the house. Some will put pads but if you’re not there, you don’t want a puppy playing with it either unsupervised. See what other members suggest as in my case I work from home. If I had to leave, as pups they did go in the crate. But this was like for 1-2 only n not everyday. In your case it’s different as you’ll be gone much longer.

  6. #5
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,933
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    3283

  7. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #6
    BullyWood Movie Star cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,167
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3182

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    Hi there and congratulations on your pup. Forgive me for saying so, but I would refrain from locking up a nine-week pup. Socializing is so important at that young age. To me, her barking is a sign she wants to be with you. Just like I wouldn't recommend anyone to leave a human baby to cry on her own, I wouldn't want to do that to a pup. If you need to leave her unsupervised before she is potty trained and old enough to know the house rules, can you have someone come to babysit her or can she go to a daycare facility when you work?

    If you plan to crate her, please reflect on why you think this is necessary. It seems common to crate dogs in the US, but it's not the only way to raise a dog. In my country, crating is against the law. I see why a crate can be seen as a safe place to which the dog can withdraw, but that is very different from caging a pup. In my country, you can have a crate in your house, but you must remove the door so that the dog at all times is free to walk out of the crate.

    Without a crate, the trick is to puppy-proof your house carefully (remove electric cords and everything else that the pup might reach and like to chew on like toys, shoes, plastic bags, etc.). You might also want to put out old newspapers on a spot so that the dog can be trained to go there if you don't have time to lift her out (in that case, you lift her up and rush her to the newspaper spot as soon as she squats to pee, and then you praise her for peeing in that designated area). We rolled up all rugs, closed bedroom doors and placed a drying rack in front of the couch so Castor wouldn't hop up. He hang out with someone in the family 24/7 for two months (we picked him up the day after schools finished in June). I don't equate dogs with humans, but I do believe in treating pups like children: watch over them closely and hinder accidents but don't restrict them if not necessary as that might backfire when they get older.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  9. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
  10. #7
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)
    6309

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    I do believe in crate training for several reasons. One being of an injury or something were to occur down the road which required strict crate rest, you’re all set. I have 3 dogs with the youngest being 6 months. When home alone, only 1 has free range and the other 2 go in crates. The youngest also sleeps in her crate at night. Crating can be used for their own safety and the safety of your furniture and other items especially when they’re young.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  12. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    45,810
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    16944

    Default Barking in crate

    I agree with the gang... crate training is a god send and it will become a safe place for your pup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  13. Likes Cbrugs, GracefulLily liked this post
  14. #9
    Newbie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Allentown, NJ
    Posts
    11
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    I started feeding her in the crate yesterday. I thought I would take a few steps back and reintroduce the crate. I also practiced the "crate" command with some treats. The practice part didn't go so well but I am going to work with her on it. Also, I took a black sheet and covered the sides of the crate with it. Yesterday, I left her out all day in the kitchen and crated at night time. She gave no fuss at all. So, she barks and barks and barks and tries to dig her way out when crated during the day. I did learn that the breeder kept her crated 100% of the time. She did her duty, ate, everything in the crate. So, I wonder if that is something to do with it.

    I am afraid of the Hell that will ensue when I do go back to work and need to crate her if I cant get her used to it now and build up some time crated. I thought about trying 30 minutes and my son and I leaving the house and see what happens just to get her accustomed to being in crate alone.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I do believe in crate training for several reasons. One being of an injury or something were to occur down the road which required strict crate rest, you’re all set. I have 3 dogs with the youngest being 6 months. When home alone, only 1 has free range and the other 2 go in crates. The youngest also sleeps in her crate at night. Crating can be used for their own safety and the safety of your furniture and other items especially when they’re young.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Heather

  15. Likes 2BullyMama, Cbrugs liked this post
  16. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    45,810
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    16944

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherPyle View Post
    I started feeding her in the crate yesterday. I thought I would take a few steps back and reintroduce the crate. I also practiced the "crate" command with some treats. The practice part didn't go so well but I am going to work with her on it. Also, I took a black sheet and covered the sides of the crate with it. Yesterday, I left her out all day in the kitchen and crated at night time. She gave no fuss at all. So, she barks and barks and barks and tries to dig her way out when crated during the day. I did learn that the breeder kept her crated 100% of the time. She did her duty, ate, everything in the crate. So, I wonder if that is something to do with it.

    I am afraid of the Hell that will ensue when I do go back to work and need to crate her if I cant get her used to it now and build up some time crated. I thought about trying 30 minutes and my son and I leaving the house and see what happens just to get her accustomed to being in crate alone.
    Great plan... stay with it and yes being crate 100% of time will cause a lot of this. Slow progress but you will get there


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  17. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
  18. #11
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)
    6309

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherPyle View Post
    I started feeding her in the crate yesterday. I thought I would take a few steps back and reintroduce the crate. I also practiced the "crate" command with some treats. The practice part didn't go so well but I am going to work with her on it. Also, I took a black sheet and covered the sides of the crate with it. Yesterday, I left her out all day in the kitchen and crated at night time. She gave no fuss at all. So, she barks and barks and barks and tries to dig her way out when crated during the day. I did learn that the breeder kept her crated 100% of the time. She did her duty, ate, everything in the crate. So, I wonder if that is something to do with it.

    I am afraid of the Hell that will ensue when I do go back to work and need to crate her if I cant get her used to it now and build up some time crated. I thought about trying 30 minutes and my son and I leaving the house and see what happens just to get her accustomed to being in crate alone.
    Yes, just a little bit at a time. Keep feeding her in and give her treats when she goes in.

  19. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  20. #12
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,723
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13026

    Default Re: Barking in crate

    You mentioned....” Yesterday, I left her out all day in the kitchen and crated at night time. She gave no fuss at all.”

    I personally would try a pen leave her crate in the pen with the door open. Or have the door of the pen open into the crate. Like that puppy plays in pen n can go sleep in the crate. Just a thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •