NatalieMen

Jan 24, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mowgli
To give a little background information on our 4 year old bully. We adopted him back in September of 2019 from a referred family friend that found him on craigslist. English bulldogs have always been my husbands dream dog so we took the opportunity to adopt him. When we went to pick him up there were red flags with the care they provided to him but it just meant more patience and love for him. We have been able to break some bad habits and have slowly trained him with only positive reinforcements (and a training class that worked out amazing). He was very afraid of brooms ( or anything that looked like a stick ) and we have showed him that those are not hurtful objects. Additionally his previous owners taught him to bark at other dogs and we have been able to almost correct that behavior. He has become an indoor dog that now knows the luxury of a doggie bed and has an endless supply of toys.

But the biggest obstacle that we have had is submissive peeing when he "thinks" he did something bad or when he doesn't want to do something ... We have never scolded him for it but he wont stop "squirting" once we approach him.

We are working on complete bladder emptying and when he pees he gets a treat but he always saves a little.

So for example prior to leaving for work he knows that he needs to go inside his crate but if he doesn't want to go and I approach him ( even none aggressively) he will pee himself and wont stop until I back away. I have recognized the pattern at times and its for certain things that he does not want to do.. I can pick him to go on the couch and he wont pee but if I pick him up to bathe him he will squirt everywhere.

If someone has any suggestions to correct this behavior I am more than willing to listen and learn!

We also have a shih-Tzu and I thought they were hard-headed... Bullies take the cake!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
To give a little background information on our 4 year old bully. We adopted him back in September of 2019 from a referred family friend that found him on craigslist. English bulldogs have always been my husbands dream dog so we took the opportunity to adopt him. When we went to pick him up there were red flags with the care they provided to him but it just meant more patience and love for him. We have been able to break some bad habits and have slowly trained him with only positive reinforcements (and a training class that worked out amazing). He was very afraid of brooms ( or anything that looked like a stick ) and we have showed him that those are not hurtful objects. Additionally his previous owners taught him to bark at other dogs and we have been able to almost correct that behavior. He has become an indoor dog that now knows the luxury of a doggie bed and has an endless supply of toys.

But the biggest obstacle that we have had is submissive peeing when he "thinks" he did something bad or when he doesn't want to do something ... We have never scolded him for it but he wont stop "squirting" once we approach him.

We are working on complete bladder emptying and when he pees he gets a treat but he always saves a little.

So for example prior to leaving for work he knows that he needs to go inside his crate but if he doesn't want to go and I approach him ( even none aggressively) he will pee himself and wont stop until I back away. I have recognized the pattern at times and its for certain things that he does not want to do.. I can pick him to go on the couch and he wont pee but if I pick him up to bathe him he will squirt everywhere.

If someone has any suggestions to correct this behavior I am more than willing to listen and learn!

We also have a shih-Tzu and I thought they were hard-headed... Bullies take the cake!
I'm sorry I have no input on this....I have no idea how to correct this as I have never had that happen before. His back story sounds very much like how we came to adopt Lelo.
2883be247f6bc281ddd49d554f4fda77.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!! Thank you for saving this sweet boy.... it is a tough fix, but it can be done. I have no experience with it, but know of people that have corrected the behavior. Males always save some urine because they want it to mark when needed... lol
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] May have some insight

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have no advice but wanted to thank you for rescuing him and giving him the loving home he deserves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I haven't had this problem, but when crating my dogs, I always broke up some dog treats, and threw them in the cage. The dogs were always happy to go in their cage! You might show him or give him a piece,then let him see you throw the rest of the pieces in the cage-hopefully he will go in to get them.
As far as the other peeing, He sounds like he has been punished for probably trivial things-and he is timid because of it. Toss a treat in the direction you want him to go, and then praise him when he goes where you want him to go. Male dogs have ureters like a little old fashioned string of hot dogs, and they always have available urine. It may take awhile to break the habit,but I think he will with your understanding!

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
My Ralph is stubborn as they come! i have to pick him up and put him in the garden sometimes, Ralph sends his love good luck!rrr.jpg

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Welcome to you and ? What is this sweet boy’s name? Maybe I missed it LOL

I’m sorry that I have no experience with this issue but trust others will be along. In the meantime you are AWESOME for saving him him from must have a terrible situation! I’d love to see photos when you can.

Hang in there!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've never dealt w/the submissive peeing... I would assume that after he's been w/you guys for awhile, he will understand that he's not in trouble. Makes me sad to think how he was treated beforehand...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.