OP
N

Nando63

Jan 16, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe
Sorry to jump in on [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Helene's post BUT PLEASE BE VERY VERY careful with "at will" use of the dog door when you are not home. If anything would happen, ie SUMMER HEAT....and Zoe is unable to get back in or refuses to go back in, by the time she overheats it will be TOO LATE.....so please re-think your configuration. There are many safe ways to accomplish your goals with Zoe.

Thanks for the concern. Yes I have consider that thatā€™s why Iā€™m trying really hard to get here trained now she has just been so stubborn. I want to make sure it can happen and it all goes with out problem before it gets hot. Kinda testing it out

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks for the concern. Yes I have consider that thatā€™s why Iā€™m trying really hard to get here trained now she has just been so stubborn. I want to make sure it can happen and it all goes with out problem before it gets hot. Kinda testing it out

Super! Please stick around here! It's a wonderful support family for when you need help (which I have depended on many times)

I hope you will update this thread with more photos of Zoe and good news about the training.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Welcome to the forum and you have got some great suggestions here. I too think taking her out a lot and walking her on a leash (with treats, if needed) might do the trick. I get it that it's convenient to let a dog out into the garden, but for dogs, going potty is also a social thing (at least for male dogs, but I guess also for females) and they miss out on that if they only pee in the back yard. And if she is going in the crate (and previously in your mum's house) because that is the only place she can mark, I guess taking her out and letting her expand her territory, so to speak, might be good for her and for your house.

Although I like the idea of a doggie door per se, I would only let a dog use it if someone was at home, for the reasons @sisters3 stated (and I would also always oversee my dog outside as I would be afraid someone might want to take him).

I would start taking her out three-four times a day (bag of treats in one hand) and then, when you know she has done her business, skip the crate (I guess there might be reasons to crate a dog, but as I've said before on this forum, I live in a country where crating your dog is against the law, so to me, crating is very odd and just not an option!). I would restrict the dog to one room (the kitchen, perhaps) and close the doors, until you know she can be trusted and that she feels ok with the house.

And regarding rain - Castor hates rain too, but we still take him out and I refuse to go back in before he has peed. He would never go out into a garden willingly in rain; if it's raining in the morning, he actually refuses to get out of bed so some mornings are a bit of a struggle here too (and this bulldog sleeps on the third floor so lots of stairs he needs to go down... but he knows there is a treat waiting for him when he's got his harness on!).

I know it's difficult to train a bulldog, but treats and kisses can do wonders! And perhaps you have some friend with a nice dog who can meet up with you so the dogs can play or walk together? Castor will hop down the stairs when we tell him that his friends might be in the park.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the reply. Yes she was roaming free at my mother house but she would also have a lot of accidents and my mother simply didnā€™t care. It became a problem because now I canā€™t trust her in the house. She is in the crate because I canā€™t trust her not to use the go in the house. I agree is way to much time in the crate. My plan is to train her to use the dog door. Once she uses it I would like to leave the crate up against the dog door so she can come and go as she wishes. After some time with no accidents eventually leave her roaming free. Yes we did walk her in the rain or snow but she just hates it. She just wanted to go back home. If it was up to her she would just run back in.

Thatā€™s what I figured mom let her roam free when you said ā€œpicking up bad habitsā€. Itā€™s simply patience n time. Is there a way you can put her like in the kitchen with an indoor dog fence? At least sheā€™ll be able to stretch her legs. You can put potty pads on one side. Like [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] mentioned, yes definitely never leave an EB roam freely outside in the summers. Your son can have her in bed with him. Once in bed these dogs donā€™t want to go out as theyā€™re too comfortable. Might work for your crate potty issues.

1AB628C8-A698-40CC-A0EC-8350556A0805.jpeg

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I had a VERY hard time house training Ellie...and she too SPENT ALOT time in her crate, more than we both liked. BUT we graduated to run of the house couch potato.

For Ellie we had to take ALL bedding out and put the divider in so it was small enough that all she could do was lay comfortably, and NOT potty inside and then lay on the other side.

It was the HARDEST thing I had to do, but she started to catch on quickly.

Hang in this, you got this!!

OP
N

Nando63

Jan 16, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe
Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. So took everyoneā€™s advice I walk out in the back yard with her and wait for her to go and not just let her out. I also asked my son to walk her as soon as he gets home from school. She does seem so much happier the improvement is amazing. We used cheese to train her to use the doggie door and happy to report that today she finally did it all by her self. We will continue the training and once Iā€™m confident she can get in and out all by her self Iā€™ll try placing the crate against the dog door so she can stretch her legs and not have to hold it all day. Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s just a step to finally letting her roam free in the house. Once again thanks everyone so much. I will continue to update you guys

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. So took everyoneā€™s advice I walk out in the back yard with her and wait for her to go and not just let her out. I also asked my son to walk her as soon as he gets home from school. She does seem so much happier the improvement is amazing. We used cheese to train her to use the doggie door and happy to report that today she finally did it all by her self. We will continue the training and once Iā€™m confident she can get in and out all by her self Iā€™ll try placing the crate against the dog door so she can stretch her legs and not have to hold it all day. Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s just a step to finally letting her roam free in the house. Once again thanks everyone so much. I will continue to update you guys

Great! Stay consistent... this was all she needed, was a few eeek reminder. My Frenchie.. HATES rain and wet grass, total diva. and just a word of advice with the dog door/- bulldogs LOVE sunbathing so make sure the door is not accessible on a day over 70, they can overheat very quickly. Also, bulldogs are a highly stolen dog, so be aware so many are taken right from yard.

Iā€™m sure you thought of this but I needed to make sure you are aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Great progress! Looking forward to your updates! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] gives very important safety advice! I know youā€™ll keep that in mind as to the crate against doggie door.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So good progress! Bullies want to know that they are loved-and want to be with you-so even walking her on leash tells her that you care, and you are partners! Then she will know you are a family together!! Won't mind so much with the doggie door.:D

OP
N

Nando63

Jan 16, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe
Update. She is using the dog door with out a problem. This last couple day I tried putting her cage with open door right to the doggie door and she loved it. She gets walked when my son gets home he gets her in a leash and walks her around the block. I walk with her in the back yard at night before she goes to sleep. Iā€™ll just walk back there with her and wait for her to go she even tries to play a little. So now the goal is to let her roam free on weekends like we have been doing but with out reminding her to go outside. If she uses this dog door all by her self and has no accident then she will be left to roam free in the house everyday. Thanks for all the help everything seems to be working fine for now

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update. She is using the dog door with out a problem. This last couple day I tried putting her cage with open door right to the doggie door and she loved it. She gets walked when my son gets home he gets her in a leash and walks her around the block. I walk with her in the back yard at night before she goes to sleep. Iā€™ll just walk back there with her and wait for her to go she even tries to play a little. So now the goal is to let her roam free on weekends like we have been doing but with out reminding her to go outside. If she uses this dog door all by her self and has no accident then she will be left to roam free in the house everyday. Thanks for all the help everything seems to be working fine for now

She is a fast learner .. love to see pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.