Nightly Potty Question

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Jackson is now 10 weeks old and just the love of our lives! :DHe has adjusted very well, is thriving on Fromm's Puppy kibble and we can just see him growing! I am home all day with him, and take him out very often for potty breaks. He has even started sitting at the door ( on occasion) when he needs to go out- but we watch him like a hawk for any "signals" that he has to go. In other words, WE are trained, not him!:blush2: Almost no accidents to report! My question is night time. He settles down for the night about 8pm. We are early-to-bed people, 9 pm. I take him out one last time before we retire. We have been setting the alarm for 1:30am. We take him out, he pees and goes right back to sleep. At what age should we start pushing the envelope for going all night. He has never peed in the crate and I do not want start any bad habits:pray:. Maybe we should set the alarm later and later at weekly intervals? It's been so long since we had a young puppy, I have forgotten the routine! Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!:yes: FB_IMG_1569454383795.jpgFB_IMG_1569454383795.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I find 10weeks is still too small to change anything especially if itā€™s working right now. Give it a few more weeks then try to extend an hour or 2. I wouldnā€™t go more than 2 hours. If you see it works wait another 2 weeks n repeat. I remember when I got Duke as a puppy, I had to put my alarm 2 different hours. For months he would still pee in his kennel alarm or not. Even removed water at 6pm. Did this for months n I wasnā€™t sleeping anymore. When you start driving n falling asleep thatā€™s a wake up call. So since I needed some sleep I decided even I was against it, I put him to bed with me. I put a big blanket in the middle, pillows at the other end of the bed so he doesnā€™t fall off. I figured Iā€™ll feel/sense him getting up if he has to pee. Little brat would walk up n down like a catwalk for 30mins then plopped to sleep. Then again the catwalk n plopped in my face to sleep and he was good. Do you know the brat ā€œneverā€ got up once to pee? :no: so I let him sleep on my bed for a good month or so. Good way to trained a bladder. With all the plopping, catwalks, drooling, breathing, snore in my face, I eventually put him back in his kennel n it worked. I did leave his kennel door open n I would hear him trotting towards the bedroom. He figured Iā€™m going to bed but left him a thick blanket beside the bed. He slept there. Some mornings I found him sleeping in his kennel. Iā€™m telling you all this as it worked for me. Little Duke pass not to long ago n I swear, I would do it all over in a heartbeat. Puppies likes a comfy, warm body to sleep beside. Like their mommas n siblings. Try it, it might work. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jackson is now 10 weeks old and just the love of our lives! :DHe has adjusted very well, is thriving on Fromm's Puppy kibble and we can just see him growing! I am home all day with him, and take him out very often for potty breaks. He has even started sitting at the door ( on occasion) when he needs to go out- but we watch him like a hawk for any "signals" that he has to go. In other words, WE are trained, not him!:blush2: Almost no accidents to report! My question is night time. He settles down for the night about 8pm. We are early-to-bed people, 9 pm. I take him out one last time before we retire. We have been setting the alarm for 1:30am. We take him out, he pees and goes right back to sleep. At what age should we start pushing the envelope for going all night. He has never peed in the crate and I do not want start any bad habits:pray:. Maybe we should set the alarm later and later at weekly intervals? It's been so long since we had a young puppy, I have forgotten the routine! Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!:yes:View attachment 117655View attachment 117655

Good gosh he is precious!!

Rule of thumb... one hour more than they are months old, that is how long they can hold their bladder. So, at two months... you are looking at 3 - 4 hours he should be going out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! Sleeping in bed with us is NOT an option. Made that mistake with Bogey and it was a really hard habit to break! I do remember now the age in months thing, but he has already surpassed that. He is going 5 hours before I wake him and he has not had an accident in the crate. In fact, I have to wake him to go out at 2 am! I will stay this course for now. In another month I will try moving it up an hour and see how it goes. Thanks again!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I might be the odd one here but with both of my dogs, I never woke up in the middle of the night to take them out. As young puppies, they were each confined to an xpen in the kitchen with a pee pad. Jax might have used it the first and second night and then it was bone dry. I can't remember if Louie ever used it but basically for both of them, within a week the pee pad was removed and no accidents. Hopefully I do not jinx myself as this will be my same plan IF I add a third dog to the mix (which could potentially happen in January).

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I might be the odd one here but with both of my dogs, I never woke up in the middle of the night to take them out. As young puppies, they were each confined to an xpen in the kitchen with a pee pad. Jax might have used it the first and second night and then it was bone dry. I can't remember if Louie ever used it but basically for both of them, within a week the pee pad was removed and no accidents. Hopefully I do not jinx myself as this will be my same plan IF I add a third dog to the mix (which could potentially happen in January).

Wait!!! WHAT!?!?!??? January??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! Sleeping in bed with us is NOT an option. Made that mistake with Bogey and it was a really hard habit to break! I do remember now the age in months thing, but he has already surpassed that. He is going 5 hours before I wake him and he has not had an accident in the crate. In fact, I have to wake him to go out at 2 am! I will stay this course for now. In another month I will try moving it up an hour and see how it goes. Thanks again!!

They are all different... find what works and go with it. I have no memory of waking up with any of ours EXCEPT, Cheli... stinker

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Again, thanks for the tips. My problem is WE go to bed so darned early:ashamed:! I just can't stay awake past 9. We are earlybirds though, so Jackson gets going by 5:30/6. I'll chance the overnight in a few weeks!:pray:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Again, thanks for the tips. My problem is WE go to bed so darned early:ashamed:! I just can't stay awake past 9. We are earlybirds though, so Jackson gets going by 5:30/6. I'll chance the overnight in a few weeks!:pray:

Ummmm...you donā€™t want to know what time I go to bed. Itā€™s well before 9 pm [emoji23]

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

You have our schedule... last out is 9PM and up at 5:15 AM

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
With Bruce I worked on the theory of 1 hour for every month.

We put an alarm on for every 2 hours to 2 month, then 3 at 3 months, 4 at 4 months.

After this you start to pick up on whether he wants to go or not. Bruce got to a point where he just looked at me when I went down as if to say 'not again mum I'm trying to sleep.'
Then he just stopped getting out of bed for it. Since about 4 and a half months he goes all night. He is 6 months now.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
With Bruce I worked on the theory of 1 hour for every month.

We put an alarm on for every 2 hours to 2 month, then 3 at 3 months, 4 at 4 months.

After this you start to pick up on whether he wants to go or not. Bruce got to a point where he just looked at me when I went down as if to say 'not again mum I'm trying to sleep.'
Then he just stopped getting out of bed for it. Since about 4 and a half months he goes all night. He is 6 months now.

Thanks! I guess Jackson is ahead of the game- he is going 5- 6 hours at 3 months old. And I am waking him!

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Thanks! I guess Jackson is ahead of the game- he is going 5- 6 hours at 3 months old. And I am waking him!

I would leave him an hour longer then and see if you have to wake him.

If you are having to wake him hes probably good now. That's how I did it with Bruce. Everyone is different. I was probably over cautious as he is the first dog we have had.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.