English Bulldog displaying worrisome aggression

PeggyV

Sep 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Hello,

My EB, Grace, is 3 years old and has never shown any aggression at all. I got her when she was 12 weeks old and we adopted a dog from the pound when she was 8 months old. She never was aggressive to the new puppy nor anyone else. She doesn't even have any food aggression.

She nipped at her vet during a check-up about a month ago, but not until the visit was almost over. We kinda chalked it up to being irritable for being poked and examined etc. and left it alone. She went back to her normal, happy self.

Just today she had a follow-up appointment, and she was happy to see everyone, even the nurse, but as soon as the vet walked in and greeted her she went berserk. It was so disconcerting and unexpected! She sounded like she literally wanted to eat him alive. My vet is a gentle doctor, and I know he's not hurt her.

I apologized and scolded her, but she continued to get riled up anytime he looked at her or simply move his hands while talking. She never did stop growling. Once we left she is back to her old self again, and accepting everyone as if they were her new best friends :/

My vet said he had an uncle that had several English Bulldogs over the span of his life, and almost all of them turned on him once they got older. He also said he had seen a lady with a badly mauled arm who's EB also turned on her one day. He suggested this was simply a character trait that some EBs have, dependent on temperament, breeding and health condition (if the dog has arthritis, for example).

Grace is my first EB, and I researched the breed before I got her. The websites I visited all spoke highly of their loyalty and bonding with their people, and none of them suggested aggression should be a concern as they age.

I am hoping someone here may know something about this. Have you dealt with aggressive bullies and if so, how do you A) recognize the warning signs and B) Properly handle it if and when it occurs?

Thank you in advance for any tips or insight!

PeggyV

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,

My EB, Grace, is 3 years old and has never shown any aggression at all. I got her when she was 12 weeks old and we adopted a dog from the pound when she was 8 months old. She never was aggressive to the new puppy nor anyone else. She doesn't even have any food aggression.

She nipped at her vet during a check-up about a month ago, but not until the visit was almost over. We kinda chalked it up to being irritable for being poked and examined etc. and left it alone. She went back to her normal, happy self.

Just today she had a follow-up appointment, and she was happy to see everyone, even the nurse, but as soon as the vet walked in and greeted her she went berserk. It was so disconcerting and unexpected! She sounded like she literally wanted to eat him alive. My vet is a gentle doctor, and I know he's not hurt her.

I apologized and scolded her, but she continued to get riled up anytime he looked at her or simply move his hands while talking. She never did stop growling. Once we left she is back to her old self again, and accepting everyone as if they were her new best friends :/

My vet said he had an uncle that had several English Bulldogs over the span of his life, and almost all of them turned on him once they got older. He also said he had seen a lady with a badly mauled arm who's EB also turned on her one day. He suggested this was simply a character trait that some EBs have, dependent on temperament, breeding and health condition (if the dog has arthritis, for example).

Grace is my first EB, and I researched the breed before I got her. The websites I visited all spoke highly of their loyalty and bonding with their people, and none of them suggested aggression should be a concern as they age.

I am hoping someone here may know something about this. Have you dealt with aggressive bullies and if so, how do you A) recognize the warning signs and B) Properly handle it if and when it occurs?

Thank you in advance for any tips or insight!

PeggyV

Welcome! His assessment is incorrect... aggression can happen with any breed but it happens for a reason... some dogs that are wired that way would have had issues from puppy age.. and when it all of a sudden shows up, there is a reason... pain, thyroid unbalanced, lack of leadership

could be his body language, or something in how he moves which is causing her to be uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have never heard of EB’s becoming aggressive as they get older. Louie is not aggressive at all and he’s always loved going to the vet. A few weeks ago he had a punch biopsy done and he’s been back to the vet twice after that. And let me tell you...he sure remembers the vet tech from his biopsy and probably was in some sort of pain from his procedure and he blames it on the vet tech cause now every time he sees the vet tech, he hides from him. So it’s possibly yours remembers the last vet visit and all the pokes and everything else that was done.

OP
PeggyV

PeggyV

Sep 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Thank you for responding. I'm hoping she just doesn't like the vet, but she went to another vet in Europe before we came here and we had no issues then. I don't know. I was just so strange :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for responding. I'm hoping she just doesn't like the vet, but she went to another vet in Europe before we came here and we had no issues then. I don't know. I was just so strange :(

How long since the move to US?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

It sounds like she just doesn’t like this vet.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She's been here 2 years.

Sounds like something with that particular vet.... is there another vet at that office you can try?

OP
PeggyV

PeggyV

Sep 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Sounds like something with that particular vet.... is there another vet at that office you can try?

Unfortunately, no. I used to take my pets to another vet over 10 years ago, and then he went into partnership with a vet I would never take any animal to (horrible, horrible man) which left only this one in our small, secluded rural town. I have no complaint at all against our current vet, in fact he is one of the best vets I have ever met. I'd like her to become comfortable with him. Perhaps some alone time with the two of them (a scheduled play-date, if you will :) ) would help. I don't mind booking some of his time for acclimation to him, if that would work.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like she is holding a grudge for whatever he did last time. Something must have hurt. If he is willing to take the time, try him sitting on the floor in the exam room,put her down, and you walk out-see how she interacts with him then. Hoping things get better.

OP
PeggyV

PeggyV

Sep 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Sounds like she is holding a grudge for whatever he did last time. Something must have hurt. If he is willing to take the time, try him sitting on the floor in the exam room,put her down, and you walk out-see how she interacts with him then. Hoping things get better.

Sounds like a solid test, thanks :)

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.