Looking for help puppy nipping hard and often with my son

Dozer2148

Jul 29, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I have a 12 week old puppy he is great most of the time but at times he chases and terrorizes my son nipping his clothes and feet! I believe this will blow over once we get out of the puppy shark teeth stage does anyone have any ideas to make this smoother ??? He seems to bite me harder and is tougher with me I just assume that him trying to get over on me so he can be dominant any ideas on how to show my dominance without anger or violence I donā€™t hit my kids Iā€™ll never hit my dog

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi there and welcome. Lots of REALLY good bully people with tons of experience so hang on,, some will come on and give you some help :)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I have a 12 week old puppy he is great most of the time but at times he chases and terrorizes my son nipping his clothes and feet! I believe this will blow over once we get out of the puppy shark teeth stage does anyone have any ideas to make this smoother ??? He seems to bite me harder and is tougher with me I just assume that him trying to get over on me so he can be dominant any ideas on how to show my dominance without anger or violence I donā€™t hit my kids Iā€™ll never hit my dog

Hello and welcome! At 12 weeks old Dozer is a BABY and needs love and guidance, positive reinforcement. This stage can be very frustrating but being consistent WILL pay off. If you let Dozer chase your son without correcting or re-directing him then he has no idea that he is not to do that. A firm NO and re-direct to a favorite toy THEN BIG PRAISE when he start chewing on HIS approved toy.

Fill an empty soda can with pennies and when he begins to "nip" shake it and say loudly NO. Do not ever allow chewing or chasing to be a part of normal play time or Dozer will grow up thinking, taught by you, that it's OK to do that.

This phase will pass, just hang in there. Patience, patience, patience.....and of course guidance and LOVE :)

How about some photos please?

OP
D

Dozer2148

Jul 29, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
5F03DCF8-5E60-4226-8CD4-28235C6B9EB4.jpg him and his brother

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
beautiful babie "s"

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] is exactly right! [MENTION=19156]Dozer2148[/MENTION] If you do not stop this type of interaction, you will have a dog "monster" on your hands. You have the double job of training your child and your pup. They need to sit down nice and play, if pup bites, tell him no and put something in his mouth(a tough toy) that he CAN bite. It will take awhile, and lots of patience and repetition, but it will pay off. It is hard when they have puppy teeth,but that is when they have to be taught. You son has to learn,too.
When the pup gets older, and no longer biting, then they can play run.Hang in there,it will happen! (it's up to you!)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
What a beautiful pair! [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] has you covered with great advice!

Thanks Christine!! I learned from the BEST.....here.....INCLUDING YOU :) Sweet Joey and I would never have survived without you and the rest of my "go to" folks

BabyFarrahsmommy

Sep 28, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farrah
I totally and completely feel your pain!! I've got the very same thing here with miss Farrah, she's 14 wks old and I have cried many times, wondering if I made a mistake in getting her. Did I not do enough research, am I doing something wrong? Is she aggressive, does she hate me? Just yesterday I sat here and sobbed. I've tried everything that is suggested on the site to do when she goes into "devil dog" mode. Nothing except removing myself seems to phase her. The word NO seems to make her crazy and she bites harder. If I "yelp", she jumps at me trying to get my face. She will pull me across the room by a shoestring or pant leg or my calf muscle. She lunged at me yesterday and hit the bridge of my nose with her head so hard it literally knocked me dingy for a second. Didn't phase her.
So after doing some more reading, I've come to the conclusion that she gets over excited and plays a little (a lot) rough. I'm considering trying calming treats.
The recommendations are NOT to get on the floor with her when she is being crazy, not to play tug with her for now, do several short walks every day and re-direct, re-direct and re-direct again. Oh, and time outs if needed.
She is super loving with other dogs, my cats and really LOVES to meet new people! She shows no signs of aggression toward anyone, she just gets a LOT carried away with play. We're starting puppy classes on Nov. 5.
So far today has better than yesterday. At least I'm not bleeding today.:no:
I hope anything I have learned or suggested helps with your baby. If nothing else, please know that I understand and sympathize.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Not much to say as all was said by great members thatā€™s been there n done it...

But...that photo is priceless!!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am going to weigh in here: Many of you will recall 7 years ago when I got Bogey. After 1 week, I thought I had the spawn of Satan! I had never had a pup that terrorized and puppy nipped as much as he did. The folks here walked me through this VERY.TOUGH. STAGE. I live in Florida and could not wear shorts or short sleeves for months! I was COVERED in shark bites!! The best advice I got was to be PATIENT, LOVING, CONSISTENT! Showing any sign of aggression towards the pup will set you back bigtime!! Positive reinforcement and gentle correctness is a must. With a little tyke in the picture, your job will be a bit more challenging as he will think of the small tot as a litter made. That said, Bogey absolutely challenged the coin shake, LOVED the water spray in the face, licked bitter apple like it was peanut butter, and no amount of "redirecting" made him stop the madness. What I ended up doing, was if he got out of control and had 2 chances at redirecting, I placed him lovingly in the crate and shut the door. 75%of the time, he went to sleep ( thus, sometimes bad behavior is just them being tired and acting out, just like a kid needing a nap). The other 25% he would yelp and cry. I let him. ONLY when he calmed completely down did he get out of jail. There are some that do not believe in crating for bad behavior, but I found this was what worked for Bogey. It will be trial and error. We actually put a large gate around our couch one night so we could have some reprieve from the toe biting. WE were inside the pen, Shark Bogey was circling around the gate like a hungry fish. True story. Bottom line, he did grow out of it, but it took months. DON'T GIVE UP! Bogey is now 7 and the most gentle, loving dog, but is still mouthy at times, but knows how to be gentle. This is a wild ride you are on. PS: We now have an 11 week old and he is mouthy and challenging, but responds easily to redirection. Just luck of the draw! Hang tough mom!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
boy just had to say there is some great stuff here! I had never had a bulldog (prior to HANK) or even bulldog 'type', so this bulldog stuff was very foreign to me! So completely different than any other breed i had ever lived with. It has been so great to have this place to be able to learn from loving people all about this crazy breed. they're NUTS in all different directions ;) So glad they are here to help you all as well :)

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
I am going through this as well and I have bought a LOAD of toys kept in every different area so the second she bites on us we are stuffing something else in her mouth. I have had to teach my son not to pull away as she thinks itā€™s tug of war. I told him to hold still and make big motion with a toy. This makes him boring and draws her attention to the toy as well. I was taught that getting them to willingly let go and pursue other interests works much quicker. I AM noticing a difference although itā€™s still minimal.. GOOD LUCK

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.