kstarr19

Jun 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Honeybelle
Hello, my family and I got an english bulldog puppy about two weeks ago. The first two weeks have been a success however as of yesterday, she is displaying poor behavior, not wanting to walk on her leash, being a little aggresive/nippy, barking. We have been rewarding her good behavior and telling her "No!" when she does something that we so not like. I literally had a mini breakdown and started crying because I have been sacrificing my time/sleep to care for her and I feel like I'm being rejected. I know that they can be stubborn, so I'm not sure if this is part of the growing curve but I could use some help. I don't want to go crazy trying to correct it to no avail. Please help!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all, Welcome to EBN!!! And second of all THIS is all normal behavior... Lol Bulldogs are notoriously stubborn, some more than others... so believe me most of us have been there. Consistency is the key, so keep doing what you are doing... and eventually at some point it will click. I also would put them in their crate/pen for a time out... if they continuously nipped/or acted out after repeating NO for awhile in the pen they would go. They want to be with you, so this will be punishment enough for them to get the message to knock it off. Hang in there... I promise it will get better, and vent on here where you need to.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello, my family and I got an english bulldog puppy about two weeks ago. The first two weeks have been a success however as of yesterday, she is displaying poor behavior, not wanting to walk on her leash, being a little aggresive/nippy, barking. We have been rewarding her good behavior and telling her "No!" when she does something that we so not like. I literally had a mini breakdown and started crying because I have been sacrificing my time/sleep to care for her and I feel like I'm being rejected. I know that they can be stubborn, so I'm not sure if this is part of the growing curve but I could use some help. I don't want to go crazy trying to correct it to no avail. Please help!

Welcome!!! [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] has you covered, please believe her. I just have to tell you that when Joey was about 11 or 12 weeks old (I got her at 9 weeks) I too was in tears....in the bathroom holding Joey...crying and saying "we WILL get through this together" LOL I had not raised a puppy in over 15 years and totally forgot. Joey is my best friend, snuggle buddy, etc. PLEASE hang in there with love, you WILL see :)

Keep posting here, it is how I survived :) Now, how about SOME PHOTOS please :)

OptimisticBully

Sep 3, 2018
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobieski ( Scott)
Hang in there!!

The first month is real hard work! Sometimes it gets over your head :-) but a little tough love and all the naughtiest makes the bond so much stronger.

I remember, my boy, when I had a viral arthritis, the way he used to drive me crazy! Soon youā€™ll find it cute!

It is definitely part of the growing curve! These stubborn Bullies, ultimately, tug at our heartstrings, whatever tantrums they throw around, is all brought to none, with the immense love and affection they surround us with. This breed, touches the heart. Sure honey, wonā€™t be honey first, heā€™ll give you stress, then will become the best stress buster youā€™ve known!

Trying crate training, it can be a blessing. Specially when you need some good quite time, to rejuvenate.

Good luck!! Hold there, vent it out, cry if you need too, but keep strong! Your raising a gem of a heart!! Youā€™ll soon be proud!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome!

You need to Breathe! Raising a puppy is like raising a terrible 2 toddler. You need patience. This is not a quick fix. Youā€™re describing ā€œnormalā€ puppy issues. How old is your puppy? For the leash, try walking him in the house as the house is a safe place for him. Keep some treats on you, hooked the leash on him n and do tiny walks like the length of the leash, call him n give him a little tiny treat cause you might need a few so you donā€™t want him to have a meal of treats. (healthy one of course). Get a good 6-8ā€™ leather leash if you can. Good investment. Donā€™t pull on your dog to make him walk. Simply leave the leash on the floor n walk ahead of him. Call him n another treat. Eventually heā€™ll be dragging the leash not notice itā€™s there n thatā€™s were you pick up the leash and walk with him. Always leave leash n puppy without tension. Heā€™ll get it fast. Then slowly go outside in the backyard and do the same. No need to go on the streets right away. No rush. Nipping with baby shark teeth sure hurts. I would grab my dogs jowls, stretch it with a FIRM NO. Then in the crate for time out. They will stop n it works. But YOU absolutely need to be patient. Think of it as raising that terrible 2 little stubborn brat. :)

OP
K

kstarr19

Jun 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Honeybelle
Thank you so much! I really needed to hear this and appreciate it very much. I think I'm going to be posting in here a lot lol

OP
K

kstarr19

Jun 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Honeybelle
My puppy is 3 months old. Thank you for your recommendations and positivity!

OP
K

kstarr19

Jun 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Honeybelle
Thank you! I'm sure this won't be my last breakdown on the way to a breakthrough. I definitely appreciate the suggestions and can use all of the tips I can get. Searching online is, of course, always the easy thing to do but sometimes it's nice to get first hand accounts from people, so thanks again!

OP
K

kstarr19

Jun 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Honeybelle
Haha, so you can relate. I will listen to and take advice from anyone that can help! Here's a pic of our girl. 20190603_183833.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hang in there, [MENTION=19068]kstarr19[/MENTION] (I must say,I love pups) we have all been through this! Lots of tough toys,and lots of patience. A crate, and patience. Hang in there, pop on here to vent, and all will be well! (a little wine and whine) wouldn't hurt!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Haha, so you can relate. I will listen to and take advice from anyone that can help! Here's a pic of our girl. View attachment 116692

Welcome!!! The gang totally has you covered... stay consistent and patient and know we all have been there so we can help along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.