Help Needed! Please help my bulldog bit me and now I’m scared

Lovebull

Mar 22, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
Hi I recently adopted a 3 yr old EB, the previus owner kept him locked in a garage he is a litle u der weight but getting better every day. The first day I got him ge acted really swet with me and my kids, he seemed calmed and happy and kept following me around. I was walking into my room and he was following me when I dropped something under my bed, I leaned over to rech whe he suddenly bit my leg, I called my oldest daughter for help and she got him off me but I needed a few stitches an my ankle for twisted. I now feel afraid to have him following me and I’m even scared when he looks af me. I don’t know what to do because I want to keep him so no one else mistreats him but I’m really afraid to be alone with him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi I recently adopted a 3 yr old EB, the previus owner kept him locked in a garage he is a litle u der weight but getting better every day. The first day I got him ge acted really swet with me and my kids, he seemed calmed and happy and kept following me around. I was walking into my room and he was following me when I dropped something under my bed, I leaned over to rech whe he suddenly bit my leg, I called my oldest daughter for help and she got him off me but I needed a few stitches an my ankle for twisted. I now feel afraid to have him following me and I’m even scared when he looks af me. I don’t know what to do because I want to keep him so no one else mistreats him but I’m really afraid to be alone with him.

Welcome to EBN. Sadly when you adopt a dog the issue lays you’ll never know the history of the dog. Leaving a dog in the garage isn’t very human. But I can guarantee you that if you don’t over come your fear you might as well give him back. Dogs sense fear and will become the alpha (which he is) n not you. In his case to have done what he did is dangerous. If you have smaller children, keep them away from him. But you definitely need to decide if you can handle this dog’s issues. It’s going to be a long process of trust n training. You need to see a professional trainer before the dog. It’s not the dog’s fault what happened as it was the previous owner on how he/she raised the dog. Locked up in a garage n under weight says it all. Sometimes our Heart speaks before reality. We are human and our instinct is to help. If your afraid to be left alone with him, you’re off track for sure. Try to find a good reputated trainer and see what he/she thinks n take it from there. Not a book or videos, you need a one on one trainer.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Return him now for the reasons listed:

His bite inhibition is non-existent.
He bit without any provocation.
If provoked in any manner he will bite again...maybe without provocation.
If you really fear him, he knows it.
At some point in time he will likely bite someone else, a family member, friend, or neighbor.
Be advised, however, he will likely be put down.

Should you elect to keep him...I'm confident that any training you might seek[and get] would be focused on establishing you as alpha and managing a "biter"...not teaching the dog not to bite.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... if you are fearful, he knows it. Either get a really good trainer and be prepared to have a life long training session with him. It is possible if you are willing, but as Chip stated, there will always be the possibility of another bite.

Or, return him to the rescue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
This is very sad but safety comes first and you have to look out for yourself and your family.

Ziggyzaggy

Sep 6, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ziggy
Moderators and 1Chumly,
I am in the same predicament. We've had our 7old Ziggy since he was a puppy. About 3 yrs ago he started going after my son whenever he was near my girlfriend, she lives with us, actually her dog. Then he started with me. Mostly when we were leaving the house but sometimes no reason at all. Well, this morning he went after her. It seems to me even with extensive training the possibility of getting bit again will always exist. Would it help any if we had him fixed ?...maybe less testosterone would take the "bite" out of him ?....we love him to death but looking for a way to avoid the inevitable.
Thank you for your help and time
Ziggyzaggy (John and Mary)

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Many times castration will help, but not always. If you are not the alpha, he will never respect the boundries and may never had enough boundries in the beginning. Sounds like he never was taught who was alpha, and now he thinks he is!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
This scares the heck out of me and would make sure he's safe but gone :( Not with kids around i would not chance it,,, not even one more chance.. thats me.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
testosterone or not, the dog is the boss n does what he want. You guys are playing with Fire. Don’t wait till he does grab you child and “only” then you’ll do something. If it’s not you child it will be someone else’s. My GS was trained to a “T” but simply just didn’t get along with other dogs as he got attacked as a pup 2 x by other dogs. Dogs were his targets. He was controllable as he was trained n listen to his orders. But if I had my back or head turned for one second n I didn’t see the other dog coming up to us from a corner, he would grab that dog n shook it like a rag. Imagine a child? His new target was baby strollers. Something clicked in his head n that’s when I had to decide to put him down. Not an easy decision but it needed to be done. A dog’s a dog. You don’t know what goes through their heads and you don’t want to risk a child’s life for any dog. Trained or not!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Moderators and 1Chumly,
I am in the same predicament. We've had our 7old Ziggy since he was a puppy. About 3 yrs ago he started going after my son whenever he was near my girlfriend, she lives with us, actually her dog. Then he started with me. Mostly when we were leaving the house but sometimes no reason at all. Well, this morning he went after her. It seems to me even with extensive training the possibility of getting bit again will always exist. Would it help any if we had him fixed ?...maybe less testosterone would take the "bite" out of him ?....we love him to death but looking for a way to avoid the inevitable.

SAFETY first and foremost. I understand how difficult this is for you but you cannot have an unpredictable dog around. There could be a medical problem (brain) that is causing the albeit long term personality change. We had a wonderful dog who suddenly started going after our cat. We worked with her, separation from the cat, training, a basket-muzzle when the cat was around but we could never trust her. She then developed seizures and we eventually had to have her put to sleep. Poor girl couldn't help it but we had no idea why in the beginning.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Moderators and 1Chumly,

Have you had a full health check done? At 7 he could be having thyroid issues, neutering MIGHT help but I would have a full senior health check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online