Help! My dog doesn't pee during 40 min walk only to pee inside the house as soon as we walk in

tauket2

Mar 5, 2019
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nikita
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and i joined because i wanted and English Bulldog specific community.

My wife and i recently adopted a 10 month old female named Niky from a family who also had a 5 year old english bully. The two dogs never got along, so they figured it was best to separate them for good.

The dog was supposedly house trained, but it seems like we have different lifestyles and that we have alot of work to do to get her used to our routine.

FOR NOW and until she is house trained and accustomed to our cats, she is crated while we are at work and sleeps in her crate at night. We give her as much love and attention as possible in the morning and evening. Hopefully we can let her out more when our cats get used to her.

Our problem is the following: We've been taking her out on 40+ minute walks and she only rarely pees. We get her to poop but that also takes a long time. What is really frustrating is that the second we get into the house and have our backs turned, she pees and entire river on the floor. This morning it was after a 40 minute walk where she didn't pee or poop a single time!

From what i understand, her previous family used to let her roam freely outside, so i think she is not accustomed to peeing on a leash with someone next to her.

I've read alot on the topic but i'm afraid to reinforce the wrong behaviours. How do i get her to pee and poop regularly on a leash? How should i react when she pees inside shortly after a long walk?

I know this will take patience and persistence, but i am determined to training her properly.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris, Lana and Niky.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18895]tauket2[/MENTION]. If you donā€™t have a fenced backyard to let him roam freely to pee, even though Iā€™m very against them retrackable leashes for any walks, get one of them ONLY till he has learn to pee on walks. Once he has potty retract it to 6 ft continue your walk. When he gets use to it, slowly shorten it on his pee stops till he pees closer to you. Then get back to a normal 6 foot leash as youā€™ll need one for training. I personally never allow any of my dogs to potty on walks. They walk on the street side and I walk fast enough so they trot. They are both trained to potty in the backyard before we trot. Yours is 10 months old so you still can train him. Donā€™t worry it takes time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18895]tauket2[/MENTION] My idea is messier that Helene's-but just another ....When she pees in the house, I would soak it up with a sponge,put it in a plastic bag. Take it with you when you take her out-(wear surgical gloves) pick the spot where you would like her to pee, and squeeze the sponge there. It may not work the first time, but she should eventually get the idea. I've always had time to just wait until they go,but having other dogs makes training easy, as they always want to pee where another one peed. So trying this idea may work-if all else fails! Hope so-wish you luck! Patience-the dog wasn't trained.....

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Vote for pee sponges! You can also secretly plant several of them around your house under the bushes etc, so she finds them when she goes for a walk next time. Iā€™m sure she will be more inclined to pee when she smells those pee sponges.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Also, may be she smells kitties and wants to leave her smell over their smells. Just be patient and may be give her treats if she pees outside.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Another idea - if you have friends or neighbors with dogs, try to go for a walk together, dogs like to pee after other dog pees, and then reward her. Good example could help.

OP
T

tauket2

Mar 5, 2019
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nikita
Hi all, thanks for the great and very rapid feedback.

So i've taken some of your advice combined with stuff elsewhere and here is an update 36 hours later.

First things first, i don't think i'll be going down the pee sponge route unless things get really extreme lol.

So i've decided to start by just getting my dog used to going to the bathroom on a leash and in my presence. I bought a retractable leash and decided that before going for a walk, i would just stand in my back yard (less distractions), ignoring the dog, until she would poop and pee. The reward would be a treat and lots of praise for the poop and again for peeing with the grand prize being a walk and some exercise. If she did nothing for 10 minutes i would bring her inside and crate her for 10 minutes and then start all over again until she finally would end up going potty.

I was very happy to only have to crate her once. On her second attempt, She peed and pooped within about 10 minutes! It was funny watching her climb over the snow to get as far away as possible from me before relieving herself. I now know that she is clearly uncomfortable going to the bathroom in my presence.

A few hours later i took her out again before going to bed and it only took her about another ten minutes to pee and poop. She even peed right in front of me! We then went for a nice long walk and played in the park. Praise and treats were given out accordingly.

This morning, i took her out and i was able to get her to poop pretty quickly, but she waited a while before letting out just a small bit of pee. We went to the park and i was encouraging her to pee more but instead, she pooped again.

When i got home, i told my wife (who was still in bed) that she would have to walk her again before leaving for work because she hadn't peed much. When my wife got up, she crated the dog while she fed the cats (since we're still managing the cats accepting a new dog in the house) and she peed in her crate even though she was only in there for about 5 minutes and had been roaming freely in the house for about two hours since i had last taken her out.

I realize its only been a very short time since i started training her this way. I was happy that i was seeing a quick progression but now this seems like a slight regression. What should i do? Do i keep going with the same method? Why does she not fully let herself go outside? why does she poop but not pee completely? How should i react when she pees inside or in her crate?

Thanks again for all the help!

Chris

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=18895]tauket2[/MENTION]. Youā€™re doing a great job as itā€™s working. :2thumbs:

Now only way to fix the morning pee in the crate is your wife forgets the cat feeding n take the dog out ASAP as a dog canā€™t wait. Iā€™m sure the cat can wait 5 minutes. You n your wife absolutely need to be focus for time being on potty training. Once thatā€™s out of the way it will be one thing less to deal with. When I was training Duke, he went out before I had to go for MY morning pee!!!

OP
T

tauket2

Mar 5, 2019
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nikita
[MENTION=18895]tauket2[/MENTION]. Youā€™re doing a great job as itā€™s working. :2thumbs:

Now only way to fix the morning pee in the crate is your wife forgets the cat feeding n take the dog out ASAP as a dog canā€™t wait. Iā€™m sure the cat can wait 5 minutes. You n your wife absolutely need to be focus for time being on potty training. Once thatā€™s out of the way it will be one thing less to deal with. When I was training Duke, he went out before I had to go for MY morning pee!!!

Yes but prior to that, she was roaming the house for two hours. Isn't it more behavioral than bladder related if she pees in the crate after being let loose in the house for a couple hours? After having been taken out and only peeing a tiny bit?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes but prior to that, she was roaming the house for two hours. Isn't it more behavioral than bladder related if she pees in the crate after being let loose in the house for a couple hours? After having been taken out and only peeing a tiny bit?

I doubt itā€™s behaviour cause you ā€œjustā€ recently adopted her n sheā€™s ā€œonlyā€ 10 months old n confused. She was allowed to do whatever she wanted at her other place n now itā€™s you guys thatā€™s picking up the pieces and will have to start all over retraining her. Sheā€™s just a baby that wasnā€™t discipline n praised. IMO, sheā€™s doing great progress outside cause you stepped in. A puppy thatā€™s playing will pee often cause of excitement and forgets. Takes time. Patients n baby steps. :)

And btw I sure wouldnā€™t do the sponge either lollll.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One never knows the true history....She may have been left in a crate,and had to reliever herself in it. You are making progress, and I agree, your wife has to follow the same routine. As Helene stated, the cats can wait a little longer-the dog, well, when you are being housetrained-when ya' gotta' go, and are still learning-a routine is key!!

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Sounds like your doing the right thing and def intently keep with the routine and repeat! Consistency is the key here. We rescued our EB who was four years old and she wasn't house trained. We stuck with the praise for going to the toilet in the correct area and also treats which seemed to work well. We also always took her to the same spot to do her business so she started to associate that area with going to the toilet. We also found that using a word like "Bizzies" whilst she was going and then moved onto "Go and do bizzies" she understood that that meant go to the toilet.

You will have accidents along the way and the general feeling is that it takes time and patience with Bulldogs (Ours still has the off accident every now and again) but 95% goes in the correct places and when she should. Just keep with it and she will get the hang of it!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online