chauncey

Feb 19, 2019
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chauncey
I have recently adopted a five year old male Bulldog who is delightful. However, he will not allow me to touch his face and, in particular, clean his folds. If I approach him with a cloth, his jowl quivers. As soon as I touch his face slightly, he tries to bite me. He was surrendered by a person who sprayed him in the face with vinegar to train him to obey. I suspect this training method has caused this aversion to face touching. He desperately needs his face to be cleaned, but he goes into attack mode whenever he sees a cloth approaching him. Help.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I have recently adopted a five year old male Bulldog who is delightful. However, he will not allow me to touch his face and, in particular, clean his folds. If I approach him with a cloth, his jowl quivers. As soon as I touch his face slightly, he tries to bite me. He was surrendered by a person who sprayed him in the face with vinegar to train him to obey. I suspect this training method has caused this aversion to face touching. He desperately needs his face to be cleaned, but he goes into attack mode whenever he sees a cloth approaching him. Help.

Poor thing!!! AWESOME YOU ADOPTING!!!!!

Not that I have experience in RETRAINING [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] may be able to help. But in the meantime I received the best information when training Joey to sit still and allow me to clean her face, here is the advice I received here at this forum (Joey was 8 months, she's almost 4 years old and I am still learning from wonderful people here)

"Treat in one hand, wipe in other.... show and let her smell treat. Wipe face, then reward. She'll eventually catch on that if she allows you to clean her face, she'll get a reward"

I sure hope this helps and please stay in touch here, photos, etc. you will love it and receive SO MUCH SUPPORT!

Other more experienced folks will be along to help, hang in there.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Start first with getting him used to cloth approaching his face, eg give him treats from the tissue. Let him get used that good stuff comes out of a tissue. Then may be in a week, when he tolerates tissue around face, put some coconut oil on it, he will be interested to lick it most probably, and then you try to wipe his face with it, first not going into rope, just touch his nose and lips. After couple of weeks try to reach into rope. Coconut oil is natural antiseptic and suitable to wipe bulldog folds (at least better than nothing). May be later you can try something else, when he will start to trust you, but begin with coconut oil, it is tasty and smells good.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Hello my Canuck friend. Welcome!!!

Iā€™m so not a fan of spray bottles either. Can you imagine vinegar in the eyes. :facepalm2:

Have you tried a unscented baby wipe? Itā€™s small and you can hide it in your hands, cuddle up to him and only start wiping his forehead n stop. Wait an hour, and do it again. Turn it into like play time like wipe your nose then his nose, then one paw. Then leave the wipe in front of him so he can smell it. Go slow. No need to get to the folds immediately. Even if it takes a couple days to get there. I use baby wipe. Mostly for you white face one as Duke has much bigger folds than Nyala. Baby steps as you just adopted n already 5... :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN. And thank you for adopting!

treats, treats and treats.... you have to retrain him to make it a positive experience. It will take some time, but as others suggested ..let him smell the cloth and treat/praise when he doesnā€™t growl. Good luck and letā€™s see some pictures

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I like the idea about the unscented baby wipes... I use those on Willow, because she never has any face issues.

OP
C

chauncey

Feb 19, 2019
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chauncey
This is also a good idea. Chauncey is not a fan of cuddling either. He loves to be petted, but he is not a cuddler/leaner. He is getting more affectionate and now allows me to touch his cheeks.

OP
C

chauncey

Feb 19, 2019
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
chauncey
Great idea! Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is also a good idea. Chauncey is not a fan of cuddling either. He loves to be petted, but he is not a cuddler/leaner. He is getting more affectionate and now allows me to touch his cheeks.

Keep in mind.. it can take a full month before they feel comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
All have given great advice! As mentioned, don't try to rush it, you need to gain his trust. Such a shame that he learned not to trust. Your "parents" are whom you are supposed to trust.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online