Joey's upcoming training sessions-INPUT PLEASE

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello friends! A quick recap, Joey and I have been staying at one of my sister's homes since Monday. The amount of snow and freezing temps have made it pretty dangerous to tackle the terrain around my home. Much easier and safer to take Joey out at my sister's house. Joey stays there when I am away on business and my sister LOVES having us, especially Joey (I do not use facebook but my sister does, everyone who follows her thinks Joey belongs to her LOL, she loves her that much!)

NEW TRAINING (hopefully) - All of Joey's life she would not poop in her own yard, she's a trotter to find the right spot, usually in one of the fields (hilly) surrounding our house. I ALWAYS take her out on a leash and we walk the fields together. I NEED TO TRAIN her to now start pooping in the yard next to the house. In this weather she (we) get too far from the house, facing uneven terrain and the very high probability of slipping, turning ankles, etc. PLUS she is so low to the ground trying to get through the snow is insane.

I want to start training ASAP....we are back home tomorrow since a nice MELT should be happening.

So.......how do I "un-do" 4 years of "remote pooping" :) Thanks in advance!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Keep her on a lead and do not allow her to pull you around where she wants to go...make her go where YOU want her to go. Be patient...it will take her more time to find THAT spot in a smaller area, but the urge to go should eventually help her make up her mind, and get it done.
Believe it or not, we have trained all of our guys to go on command. We tell them, "you go potty" over and over until they go...then immediately show praise. After a few months of repeating this they just get it. Lala got it in <3 weeks.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Keep her on a lead and do not allow her to pull you around where she wants to go...make her go where YOU want her to go. Be patient...it will take her more time to find THAT spot in a smaller area, but the urge to go should eventually help her make up her mind, and get it done.
Believe it or not, we have trained all of our guys to go on command. We tell them, "you go potty" over and over until they go...then immediately show praise. After a few months of repeating this they just get it. Lala got it in <3 weeks.

We used the "Go Potty" command w/Willow and it works like a charm... Wally likes to take his time... Lol
Good luck w/Joey... patience is the key!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I was going to suggest same as Chip. Have her on a leash and go to a spot and just stand there, donā€™t let her walk around. Use your go potty command. If she has to go, sheā€™ll eventually get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Thanks so much! I've always taken her on a leash so that part is normal. I see that I WILL need to change the part where I allow her to "lead me" to where SHE wants to go. I will follow this plan (hopefully not in sub zero temps) I will let you know how we make out. I need to remember PATIENCE.....

- - - Updated - - -

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
We used the "Go Potty" command w/Willow and it works like a charm... Wally likes to take his time... Lol
Good luck w/Joey... patience is the key!!!

Thank you!! I hope this works.....we need to stay in the yard for potty breaks....I should have anticipated this....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you!! I hope this works.....we need to stay in the yard for potty breaks....I should have anticipated this....

Just remember to praise her when she's done... I used treats on Willow, and it worked like a charm!!! Lol

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I was going to suggest same as Chip. Have her on a leash and go to a spot and just stand there, donā€™t let her walk around. Use your go potty command. If she has to go, sheā€™ll eventually get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much! Fingers crossed......sometimes when I would try to stop "short of the field" and not get so far from the house, Joey would turn and face me a begin to pull backwards towards the field, totally my mistake letting her do that....with my compliance...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I agreed with Chip....I always had a section for all my dogs to go. I closed in a good size section with the little metal fence you see and they have their own entrance. I find an entrance the dogs understand itā€™s their area. But like mentioned, you do need to have patience. When training, I would stand at the entrance and stay there so no dogs would come out n simply say, ā€œgo poop in the backā€ while pointing to the back. When I babysat my sonā€™s pitties n GS a few years ago when he first got them, I didnā€™t want them to ruined my grass so I trained them in the pen area. Because there was already Nyala ā€˜s smells in there, it was a bit easier to trained. But again, you do need to bring them in there n stand there. Took one weekend n too this day they all go in that pen to do their business. At my sonā€™s they poop n pee anywhere. He liked the fence idea n installed a section at his house. He called me immediately and said, ā€œdo you know they all went in the pen to do their business ?ā€œ Yup, I figure that much cause they were trained here n use to seeing that little fence n entrance. A year later his 3dogs still go in their pen. All in the head.

Btw Nyala n Duke got caught in my veggie garden stealing zucchiniā€™s
30EAA54B-0EBB-4809-8AA0-770C5EB090E6.jpegCD368068-40D0-4DB7-BBCD-4A3EFE18B5E7.jpeg

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I agreed with Chip....I always had a section for all my dogs to go. I closed in a good size section with the little metal fence you see and they have their own entrance. I find an entrance the dogs understand itā€™s their area. But like mentioned, you do need to have patience. When training, I would stand at the entrance and stay there so no dogs would come out n simply say, ā€œgo poop in the backā€ while pointing to the back. When I babysat my sonā€™s pitties n GS a few years ago when he first got them, I didnā€™t want them to ruined my grass so I trained them in the pen area. Because there was already Nyala ā€˜s smells in there, it was a bit easier to trained. But again, you do need to bring them in there n stand there. Took one weekend n too this day they all go in that pen to do their business. At my sonā€™s they poop n pee anywhere. He liked the fence idea n installed a section at his house. He called me immediately and said, ā€œdo you know they all went in the pen to do their business ?ā€œ Yup, I figure that much cause they were trained here n use to seeing that little fence n entrance. A year later his 3dogs still go in their pen. All in the head.

Btw Nyala n Duke got caught in my veggie garden stealing zucchiniā€™s
View attachment 115434View attachment 115435

LOVE your input!! I'm not allowed to put up a pen (HOA) HOWEVER I do have 2 sets of gates that can form a circle (I use them in front of my garage doors when Joey and I are in there) I could temporarily use those to start off......

Nyala and Duke - I like zucchini too!!! :)

Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Exactly! We use the word potty.. 3x fast and they go soon after or just as we finish saying it

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Exactly! We use the word potty.. 3x fast and they go soon after or just as we finish saying it

Thanks so much!

Warmer temps start today and so does ā€œpoop in your yardā€ training &#55357;&#56835;

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.