Help Needed! Aggressive with visitors

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
So Tiberius is pretty aggressive whenever anyone comes the door. Regardless of whether itā€™s a delivery person (USPS,,UPS,FedEx etc) or visitor. To the point he hits the front glass windows so hard that at times Iā€™m worried heā€™ll break them. We have tried crating him whenever he exhibits this behavior. Today he nipped my hand when I went to go for his collar so I could answer the door - I think he realized when he did because he put his head down and went to bed quietly. Just not sure what else to do.
He also has been aggressive in other cases - at the vet (took three pp holding him to draw his blood he has always been good before) and groomers (not allowed there anymore).
Thanks in advance. I know Iā€™m not on here a whole lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=14543]ldenne[/MENTION], for him to realized he nipped you and went quietly on his bed cause he knows what he did is wrong. So that being said he knows whatā€™s right from wrong which is good as you can easily correct the issues with visitors. Donā€™t rush to open any door when someone deliveries or visit. Take your dog very calmly but yet firmly (breathe so he doesnā€™t feel youā€™re tense) showing YOUR the boss n put him in his kennel, close the door n look at him pointing your finger with a FIRM NO. Walk to the door and do your business. Leave him in the kennel till he has settled down. Donā€™t open the door if visitors are walking around with you till again heā€™s settled down or laying down. Ask visitors not to make eye contact. You will see after a few times he will understand. I did that with both of mine as the have a bad habit jumping on ppl when they come in. I do have 2 hyper dogs. I open the door only once both are laying down n canā€™t be bothered. Once I open that door, they both walk out n mingle quietly. But I do make a point standing there.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just an idea - if you are expecting a vistor or delivery, can you ask them to call you a few minutes before they ring the door bell so that you have time to leash Tiberius? If he's curious I would assume it's better that he actually gets to see the visitors than being behind a closed door? I've seen in some dog handbook a recommendation to put a note on the front door, asking people not to ring the bell if there are dogs in the hosue that react strongly to the door bell. To me that sounds a bit odd as I think it's a good thing that the dog clearly signals that he's at home when the doorbell rings (but of course he needs to behave!).

Best of luck. The fact that he doesn't like being handled at the vet sounds a little worrying. Can he be in pain?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sounds like Louie! And I got a sign on the door asking people not ring the doorbell or knock but delivery people never pay attention. If I know people are coming over, Louie gets his punch collar on so I can keep him under control but he has nipped my family before. For him, it's not really him being aggressive and trying to attack for the doorbell and people coming through the door sets him off and his adrenaline gets going x 1,000 and he can't control his excitement which is why he has to have the collar on. I always make him sit and he has to stay seated and be calm until anyone is allowed to pet him. Once everyone has come through, I will walk him around to people and ask him to sit and then they will pet him. After about 15 minutes or so, he calms down enough where the collar can come off. I did have to bring a trainer in though to help with this and I couldn't do it without the pinch collar. A pinch collar does not hurt when used correctly. Also, a couple of weekends ago I had a friend and her bulldog (Louie's brother) come over and about 15 minutes before they came, I took Louie out to the front on collar and leash because it was a nice day and I wanted to see how he reacted to greeting someone in the front yard versus them walking into our house with him watching. He was literally a perfect angel...no lunging or barking or going crazy and then we all went into the house and all was great. It will definitely require some work on your part but it will be well worth it. You just have to make sure you are consistent. I do some sort of training almost every day with Louie be it making him sit and stay or down or whatever.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had the same issue w/my two EXCEPT they two of them start fighting when someone comes to the door!!! It's like WELCOME to the nuthouse... LMAO!!! I got a trainer involved, so now I put Willow in the crate, and once someone comes inside I can let her out and everybody is fine.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I had the same issue w/my two EXCEPT they two of them start fighting when someone comes to the door!!! It's like WELCOME to the nuthouse... LMAO!!! I got a trainer involved, so now I put Willow in the crate, and once someone comes inside I can let her out and everybody is fine.

Welcome to the nuthouse is the perfect description! I put Jax in the crate because his barking and excitement will set Louie off and make things worse.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Joey who will be 4 years old at the end of May had a similar issue with folks coming to the house, friends, strangers, workmen, etc.

After training with several people, some that she knew and some that she did not, she now remains calm and "no paws" which was the REPETITIVE command during training. Here's what we did. We planned little parties centered around Joey's training. We provided beer, wine, and snacks AFTER hours of REPETITIVE training during which people come in and out, ring door bell, knock, etc. I bet it took probably 4 or 5 of these "training parties" before Joey actually "got it"

Now, for instance, the furnace service crew came about 3 weeks ago, there were 3 or 4 of them installing new AC unit and were in and out for hours. As long as I "let them in" she knows they're ok. If I stand at the door like talking to cold call sales person she is irritated at them......

Hope this helps, I know how frustrating this issue can be.

BTW how old is Tiberius? I did not see that...or missed it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey who will be 4 years old at the end of May had a similar issue with folks coming to the house, friends, strangers, workmen, etc.

After training with several people, some that she knew and some that she did not, she now remains calm and "no paws" which was the REPETITIVE command during training. Here's what we did. We planned little parties centered around Joey's training. We provided beer, wine, and snacks AFTER hours of REPETITIVE training during which people come in and out, ring door bell, knock, etc. I bet it took probably 4 or 5 of these "training parties" before Joey actually "got it"

Now, for instance, the furnace service crew came about 3 weeks ago, there were 3 or 4 of them installing new AC unit and were in and out for hours. As long as I "let them in" she knows they're ok. If I stand at the door like talking to cold call sales person she is irritated at them......

Hope this helps, I know how frustrating this issue can be.

BTW how old is Tiberius? I did not see that...or missed it.

I bribe my mom with lunch to come over so that she can ring the doorbell. I text her and say hey...do you want to go to lunch on Saturday? Her response - so you need me to be a prop for Louie? Hahahaha...

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I bribe my mom with lunch to come over so that she can ring the doorbell. I text her and say hey...do you want to go to lunch on Saturday? Her response - so you need me to be a prop for Louie? Hahahaha...

I LOVE THAT!!!! Bribes are THE BEST, not just for our fur kids but our humans too :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] I love the idea of training parties!

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Thanks all - he will be 4 this year. Heā€™s pushing 80# all muscle. The plus we donā€™t have a doorbell I will try the training ideas of having people we know come to the door. I think part of it is we donā€™t have people over hardly at all and he hasnā€™t been socialized a whole bunch when he has been at the kennel he canā€™t go into group because heā€™s not neutered. He doesnā€™t have issues with dog or humans when I take him with me to say Petco - just kinda hyper, I keep him on a very short leash.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all - he will be 4 this year. Heā€™s pushing 80# all muscle. The plus we donā€™t have a doorbell I will try the training ideas of having people we know come to the door. I think part of it is we donā€™t have people over hardly at all and he hasnā€™t been socialized a whole bunch when he has been at the kennel he canā€™t go into group because heā€™s not neutered. He doesnā€™t have issues with dog or humans when I take him with me to say Petco - just kinda hyper, I keep him on a very short leash.

One thing our trainer told us was always give a command they can do. For example, when Louie jumps and barks at the gate when the doorbell rings, instead of just telling him NO, I say NO and then SIT. Then he sits I say good boy or good sit, etc.

OP
ldenne

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
One thing our trainer told us was always give a command they can do. For example, when Louie jumps and barks at the gate when the doorbell rings, instead of just telling him NO, I say NO and then SIT. Then he sits I say good boy or good sit, etc.

Thanks I will try to make sure our commands are short and simple and have a follow up like sit etc.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Lmao!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.