Help Needed! New Mom needs advice

eladsandy

Jan 20, 2019
Michgab
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs
I rescued a bulldog yesterday. He wasn't regularly fed. He is underweight. Any advice he is nippy with my boxer. Making him a vet appt tomorrow just to have checked out and to know what we are facing. I will not send him back to his last situation under no circumstances. He was starved not just for food but love. I would appreciate ant advice!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome and thank you for saving him!

It will take about two weeks for them to settle in... take them for short walks together to help them ‘pack’ .

Food.. add protein , raw eggs are a good option, on top of kibble but don’t over feed then you’ll deal with lots of poo.

What food are you feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
:welcome4::smileywelcome::welcome3: Welcome to the best bullie site ever!! And a double thanks for rescue-ing (sp?)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN... I agree w/Christine, it will take some time to get used to the new routine.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I rescued a bulldog yesterday. He wasn't regularly fed. He is underweight. Any advice he is nippy with my boxer. Making him a vet appt tomorrow just to have checked out and to know what we are facing. I will not send him back to his last situation under no circumstances. He was starved not just for food but love. I would appreciate ant advice!

You kinda answered your own question. :) “He was starved not just for food but love.“ And there you go.

I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]...walk as a pack together, don’t over feed and just let the body get use to have normal amounts of kibbles. Start slowly. When feeding, dont put the bowls beside one another to start with or stand between both dogs while they’re eating as a dog that has been starved, you never know. Just stand there n be patient. Any new Rescue that enters a new home is very hard on them, your dog n your family.

I love Emily

Jun 22, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Emily
Make sure you soak the kibble first. I do recommend obedience classes once he is settled in. If you are going to vaccinate and deworm etc., also wait until he is settled in, no point in over loading his little system. Keep plenty of water available at all times. Having said that when it comes to nipping etc. use your big voice "Knock it off". When it comes to doing nails, take your time. I like to Dremel, but this can really freak a dog out, so sometimes using a nail file for a minute and then building up time. Once trust is established, you can then tap on each nail with the Dremel and build up time. If you prefer to clip, just take the edges off at first and build up to a proper cut. All the best to you. Sometimes with a rescue you end up wondering who rescued who:D

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.