Help Needed! My dog makes Marley look like an angel. Need help with hyper bulldog that doesn’t listen

Cheri

Dec 31, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Edgar And Zoey
I have two English Bulldogs. One is a year old and the other is 3. the younger ( male) has been crazy hyper since we brought him home at 8 weeks old. And he stays up most of the night and day. We have tried everything. He gets nice long walks and plenty of fetch time. But, walks are awful as he pulls like crazy. I have tried lots of different training techniques and a few different “no pull” harnesses, but still pulls. And, he is constantly rough housing with older dog. And, she cannot stand it. As soon as we try and even sit down to watch tv he will start barking at us or jumping on us. I have had dogs in the past and understand the commitment, but this dog literally takes every minute of my attention. My entire life has been on hold and is chaos. He will be fixed next month. Will this help? Or any tips
Thanks.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have two English Bulldogs. One is a year old and the other is 3. the younger ( male) has been crazy hyper since we brought him home at 8 weeks old. And he stays up most of the night and day. We have tried everything. He gets nice long walks and plenty of fetch time. But, walks are awful as he pulls like crazy. I have tried lots of different training techniques and a few different “no pull” harnesses, but still pulls. And, he is constantly rough housing with older dog. And, she cannot stand it. As soon as we try and even sit down to watch tv he will start barking at us or jumping on us. I have had dogs in the past and understand the commitment, but this dog literally takes every minute of my attention. My entire life has been on hold and is chaos. He will be fixed next month. Will this help? Or any tips
Thanks.

Hey my white face Duke has another lost loss brother lolll... Duke will be 2 in a few weeks and STILL like you described. Only difference I work from home so I’m constantly on him..I had less headaches when I was in the education field with my teens !!! Basically what works n worked for me is “not” to stop n keep pushing him. His walks are like 3-5km n he wears a choker n his collar. I use to put a harness but that’s the worst thing for dogs like ours. Took him a good kilometer before he realizes “oh look if I don’t pull I don’t get choked”. Took a couple months now I can say he’s down to 1/2 a km.. I yank him back each time and he stops then he start further down then pulls again. The pulling is not like hard at all now he just wants to be in the front of Nyala. Got them a duo leash which is absolutely fantastic for 2 dogs. Nyala also burns him a lot in a day. Fix or not, if you have an energetic dog, they still will be on the go. But you know what... I rather have dogs that moves than lays there all day n night on a couch. That’s when they get lazy n eventually sick.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie will be 2 in February and is the Energizer bunny. I also have a 5 year old French Bulldog that Louie likes to annoy. Jax is my puller and Louie actually walks pretty good but he likes to be in the lead as well. The duo leash is the best thing for two dogs and is wonderful to use! They will control each other.

Louie will wake up wanting to play and then he’ll go until he passes out around late afternoon. Even when Jax plays with him, it’s never enough. I try to set up play dates with other bulldogs I know, plus just play hard with him to try and tire him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
A "no pull" harness has never worked for any of my dogs. The best thing is a "choke chain" (hate the name) or a herme springer . *You must know how to use it properly.
If he is out of control in the house, I would use it in house, until he learns the HE is not the boss. Castration does help some, but teaching helps even more. It may be a lot of work and time,and patience, but it will pay off in the long run. [MENTION=18783]Cheri[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks.

Welcome to EBN! You might want to try toys that will occupy his mind too... raw marrow bones, treat hiders, like the Kong wobbler.
A harness does give the dog more strength to pull, we use the martingale collars which are flat collar with a little of a chain that lets you snap a correction without actually chocking the pup. I also use at times the prong collar for Lambeau due to his negative reaction to other dogs during walks. I personally do not like choke collars on bulldogs due to the potential trachea issues they can have. The prong collar as [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] mentions does not choke the pup, but gives a correction which is similar to what their momma would give...

Neutering... may or may not help.... all dogs are different and you won't know till after the procedure is done.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online