Help Needed! Scaredy-cat

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
My 10-month old bully is scaredy-cat. He is not afraid of people or other dogs and, is the friendliest fellow around. Yet, he is afraid of objects (familiar or not). I got him right around 5-mo & do not know what he was/wasn’t exposed to prior. Understanding this, I’ve attempted to slowly desensitize him to unfamiliar objects and sounds. This includes allowing him to become familiar on his own by putting treats out and ‘ignoring’ his exploration. He has come along way but his level of fear is concerning. For example, I moved his toy box a few feet for training he scrambled away and barked. Mind you, he has been retrieving toys himself from this same box for quite some time. Another example, I put Solo cups on the floor to play a game with him, he immediately hightailed it away, growled, and barked. Sometimes I think he is also afraid of me too! Suggestions?

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
My Bella is a scardie cat too at times.
...she is just too observant of new objects in the house or yard.
I have had her since she was 8 weeks old.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are a lot of bullies that are like this. Some are always that way, and some seem to go through a stage, at about the age Finley is. As you mentioned, just moving something to a different spot can be a "trigger". A couple of mine went through a stage like that, and one of them is very timid, but sure likes to chase squirrels. But if one WOULD stop, she'd probably run the other way!
What I always did was tell them in a reassuring voice, how silly they were, it's just (your toybox, a cup, etc.) and sit down beside it, and show them that it doesn't hurt.
Giving him the treats, as you have done. This may be just a stage, but some dogs are just "chicken!" With reassurance, he will probably gain more confidence,as he grows [MENTION=18569]Corea99[/MENTION]

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
We have exactly the same thing with Dudley, he was scared of his dog chew i was trying to give him yesterday but cowered down as if i was going to hit him with it! something that has obviously never happened! i put it on the floor and he happily picked it up and took it to his bed. :D There's a lot of Bullies on here that are scared of very normal items, its a Bully thing! Plastic bags, Handbags, Walking sticks, Tin foil, Tea trays, Bin liners are just a few that will have Dudley running for cover :D
So i would say you probably have nothing to worry about, these things tend to come and go.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
One of the funniest ones for me with Bella was her new $40 dog food feeding dish! She looked in it all shiny and new and saw herself ! Needless to say ran away growling and trying to hide.
I thought she’d never go near it but she did eventually. I wish I had video taped that one. :lol::ROFL::biglaugh::laugh::lmaogirl::rofl:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bulldogs are hilarious scaredy cats! Tank runs like crazy and can even fall sometimes if I show him big shiny bowl (for dough mixing), or pot, or pot lid, or trash bin bags, or tinfoil. Million of things makes him poop scared!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
One day we were on a walk and stepped on one of those metal grates and the noise scared Louie. Now every time on a walk, he will go around every single one instead of walking on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Thank you kindly for the reassurance and fun stories. I feel better now. Mom thinks I “baby” him too much. Well, he is my baby. My puddle deserves to be spoiled. This your grandchild, get on board lady!
:havemyheart::lubu::havemyheart::baby::havemyheart::babysleep::havemyheart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you kindly for the reassurance and fun stories. I feel better now. Mom thinks I “baby” him too much. Well, he is my baby. My puddle deserves to be spoiled. This your grandchild, get on board lady!
:havemyheart::lubu::havemyheart::baby::havemyheart::babysleep::havemyheart:

EXACTLY!!

Lambeau is a big bad-@$$ in his head, but pull out a plastic bag.. all bets are off and he is running to hide behind the ottoman.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.