Senior Bulldog - Health or Behavioral Issue?

moosesmomutah

Dec 28, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Moose.jpg

My bulldog Moose is 11 1/2. He has had a good life, and is a loved part of our family.

My 20 yr old son lives with us, and staying in our basement. He and Moose have always been buddies. About a month ago I started sleeping in our basement guestroom because I've been having trouble sleeping. I let Moose sleep with me in the bed down there. Everything was fine for a while, but a month ago when my son came in the room, Moose would start growling and angry barking at him. My son would leave and everything would be ok. It was all contained to the bedroom for a while. They it started happening upstairs in our living room and kitchen. At first Moose would only growl, bark, and snap at him if I was in the room. Now it happens regardless if I'm there. Earlier this week Moose snapped at our friend that was over, and then snapped at me on a separate occasion when trying to get him in his kennel.

I took him to the vet yesterday and did a senior lab panel. Everything came back perfectly normal. Trying to figure out what has caused his sweet loving personality to flip so fast. Vet said he could have brain tumor or neurological problem. But I can't afford the MRI to check for that.

My once loving and trusted bulldog baby is now feeling like a ticking time bomb, and I don't know when or who he might get angry at. I don't know what to do. We have young kids in our house. What if he strikes out at them, or one of their friends. Help!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Definitely sounds like a neurological problem and the senior blood test n all was ruled out.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] fosters/fostered a lot of EB of all ages for years. Chip might have a better insight and also other members. Hang on to see their input. Meanwhile, keep your dog away from any child. Children tends to do swift movements, playing loud which can trigger Moose reactions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 115059

My bulldog Moose is 11 1/2. He has had a good life, and is a loved part of our family.

My 20 yr old son lives with us, and staying in our basement. He and Moose have always been buddies. About a month ago I started sleeping in our basement guestroom because I've been having trouble sleeping. I let Moose sleep with me in the bed down there. Everything was fine for a while, but a month ago when my son came in the room, Moose would start growling and angry barking at him. My son would leave and everything would be ok. It was all contained to the bedroom for a while. They it started happening upstairs in our living room and kitchen. At first Moose would only growl, bark, and snap at him if I was in the room. Now it happens regardless if I'm there. Earlier this week Moose snapped at our friend that was over, and then snapped at me on a separate occasion when trying to get him in his kennel.

I took him to the vet yesterday and did a senior lab panel. Everything came back perfectly normal. Trying to figure out what has caused his sweet loving personality to flip so fast. Vet said he could have brain tumor or neurological problem. But I can't afford the MRI to check for that.

My once loving and trusted bulldog baby is now feeling like a ticking time bomb, and I don't know when or who he might get angry at. I don't know what to do. We have young kids in our house. What if he strikes out at them, or one of their friends. Help!

He could be in pain... blood panel does not show that. Did they do any xrays on joints or back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My bulldog Walter went thru a faze of this kinda behavior, and he ended up having an anal gland rupture. A lot of times when they are in pain, they will act rather unpredictable... he needs a GOOD physical to rule anything out.

OP
M

moosesmomutah

Dec 28, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Thank you. I've been keeping him in a crate when I'm not home to help prevent something from happening. I welcome feedback and suggestions. The logical part of me, and the emotional part of me are having a big struggle on what to do. :( But either way, I know that I can't continue the situation to continue to escalate.

OP
M

moosesmomutah

Dec 28, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
He went to the vet yesterday, and they did a full physical exam and labs. Unfortunately it didn't show anything.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
did this all start AFTER you let him sleep with you? Sounds like he's claimed you as his property and he's guarding his claim. Now he's moved on and he's laid claim to your home, too. You may just have to take it back.

OP
M

moosesmomutah

Dec 28, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Yes, it really did seem to start once I let him sleep with me. It has definitely snow balled out of control since then. I have a call into a local dog trainer. Any other thoughts on this? I want us all (including Moose) to be safe and happy in our home.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
did this all start AFTER you let him sleep with you? Sounds like he's claimed you as his property and he's guarding his claim. Now he's moved on and he's laid claim to your home, too. You may just have to take it back.

Im not discarding the possibility of medical issues, but if you check and everything is ok, no pain or health issues - I would say most probably its sleeping together! Dogs mustnā€™t actually be allowed to seat on the couch with us or sleep with us. They immediately think they are on the same level of hierarchy like you and next step they think they are leader of the pack. You must also never let them walk through the door in front of you, only after you. Must get food only after they sit still etc.
I let my dog just several times on the couch with me (just could not resist, itā€™s so nice) and he started to boss around. What I did was I put an electric collar on him and he is poop scared of that bzz it makes. And I just used it to emphasise my orders and when he tried to get on the couch, 2 days of using and he forgot his wrong ways.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] Yes, it really did seem to start once I let him sleep with me. It has definitely snow balled out of control since then. I have a call into a local dog trainer. Any other thoughts on this? I want us all (including Moose) to be safe and happy in our home.

My thoughts are with the last 2 post. Vetā€™s ruling out everything so far. What stumped me was you went to sleep downstairs for the first time when Moose I s use to sleeping only with your son in the basement. Now he has you down there too. Sounds like a procession issue. We canā€™t rule out neurological or medical issue especially at that age but right after sleeping in the basement all started that day... makes you wonder.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.