How to keep off couch

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I can't keep our dog off the couch. As soon as he jumps up onto it, I tell him off and move him to the floor. He will jump up again and again until he wears me out. I get so sick of it I just give in. Wrong I know. I've created a monster. He thinks it's his couch now. He just turned 1. Is it too late to teach him to stay off the couch? I bought him one of the K9 ballistic dog beds as he has chewed up every other bed I've bought him. It's really durable and I was hoping I could train him to stay on the bed and off the couch. He hates it and won't go near it. Help me please.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am of no help as my guys are allowed on the couch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mouse traps...my Dobermans way back would get on the couch when we left the house. I would know cause of the small dog hair stuck in the material. Like duhhhh them... read in a German dobby book to put mousetraps. Man it sure worked!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
There, you said it yourself. You give in and the first time you do that the game is lost.Next time they will be more persistant, if necessary. Tin foil on the soffa is the cheapest and safest (mouse traps! OMG) you can try to put on the couch. May help or not once the habbit is there.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Electric collar should work too. I was very pleased with the result, and I only used it several times - to stop humping other dog and to teach to keep off the couch, in 2 days Tank stopped even thinking of climbing the couch. I donā€™t use it since then, but he is never on the couch. I put collar on lowest grade, and it was enough.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
There, you said it yourself. You give in and the first time you do that the game is lost.Next time they will be more persistant, if necessary. Tin foil on the soffa is the cheapest and safest (mouse traps! OMG) you can try to put on the couch. May help or not once the habbit is there.

I know at first I to did the OMG....they donā€™t really get their feet in it as their paws wonā€™t fit...actually as soon as the dog gets on the sofa the traps releases cause of the movement from the sofa. The noise scares them more than anything else.

And yes youā€™re right about the ā€œyou give inā€ part... problem #1 right there.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I know at first I to did the OMG....they donā€™t really get their feet in it as their paws wonā€™t fit...actually as soon as the dog gets on the sofa the traps releases cause of the movement from the sofa. The noise scares them more than anything else.

And yes youā€™re right about the ā€œyou give inā€ part... problem #1 right there.

I did an OMG and bugged my eyes out about the mouse traps...lmao!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Might be easier to buy yourself another sofa :D:D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We trained our guys ... not allowed up without an invitation, but they can go on when we arenā€™t on the couch. Once we sit they know to wait for the command to join

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We trained our guys ... not allowed up without an invitation, but they can go on when we arenā€™t on the couch. Once we sit they know to wait for the command to join

We do that too - when Castor's blanket is on the sofa, he knows he can ask to go up but if it's not there, he lies on the floor. That is a system which works pretty well.
[MENTION=18050]Delaney24[/MENTION] If you're ok with him being on the couch sometimes, I would try the tinfoil and see if that might work to create an ok/not ok system. When Castor was a pup (and back then I didn't think dogs should be on the couch...), we blocked the couch off by placing something in front of it or by just tilting the back cushions down on the seating.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.