Any tips for teaching fetch?

PumasDad

Oct 11, 2017
Houston TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Puma
Pumas 1 year 3 months and still won't play fetch lol. She good with stay, play dead, shake(paw) ,touch, high 5,spin, roll over etc but won't fetch even with toys she loves. She actually began picking up etc at 7 months but now won't even budge. Her recall is spotty so ive been working on that maybe it will help fetch. I want to make it more fun when its just us 1on1. Any tips?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My Tank is extremely clever bulldog, he does (for treats only, of course) a lot of tricks like play dead, turn over, all normal things like sit or heel, but fetch he cannot comprehend. He never gives ball back to me. He enjoys me throwing toy or ball for him, but the idea to give toy away just doesnā€™t reach his brain. He brings toy back and jumps in front of me with it in his teeth, pretending that he is growling at me. Then I have to try to pull it out of his mouth, If Im able to take it away from him, which is difficult, and throw it for him, he is super happy and will run like crazy for it and bring it back, but doesnā€™t understand that he has to release his grip. The idea to give something away doesnā€™t sit well with his bulldog nature. He is almost 2,5 yo and we lost hope to teach him proper fetch:eek:

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Joey eventually got it but took treats at first. Throw the toy, have training treat in pocket and use same word like ā€œok bring it backā€ then be sure he smells the treat, drops toy for treat then GOOD JOB...... worked for Joey and we had a blast training ��

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Yes, you can try teaching to come back by having a high value treat ready and teaching "drop it."

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can get Lambeau to fetch.... when he feels like it ! :rofl:

He will go get any orange ball bring it back and drop, but after awhile he gets greedy and we have to stop... only orange balls work, every other toy/ball he will look at it and just stand next to me

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Iā€™m sure, for treats he will drop it, but I think I just tried to make him understand that just the pleasure of play of throwing the ball is as good as food?.. I guess not. Bulldogs work only on food...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Duke I get everything back IF Nyala isnā€™t in the way. I never use treats. Nyala...man she brings you the toy but as soon as you move an inch to bend down, sheā€™ll take off with it. Then repeats n repeats n repeats... pretty soon sheā€™ll start saying.. na na na na na

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Duke I get everything back IF Nyala isnā€™t in the way. I never use treats. Nyala...man she brings you the toy but as soon as you move an inch to bend down, sheā€™ll take off with it. Then repeats n repeats n repeats... pretty soon sheā€™ll start saying.. na na na na na

Sounds like my two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tawnys mom

Sep 11, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tawny
Tawny will run to the ball or toy I throw touch it and run back to me. She doesnā€™t bring the toy or ball back with her. It ends up with me throwing the item, then going to where it is picking it up and throwing it again [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.