Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So everyone knows Louie is high energy and likes to party. But as time has gone on, we noticed he was getting really bad whenever people came to the house. Last Saturday my parents came over and it was like he was possessed. They couldnā€™t even get through the gate to the living room as he just kept jumping at them and barking and then he was all over them. Absolutely nothing we did calmed him down and when put in the crate, he screamed and barked loudly which is no way way to have company over.

So I contacted the breeder to see if she had a trainer to recommend. She did and she came over yesterday. Well, that was even worse than last Saturday. This tome Louie was actually lunging at her. She wanted to see everything so then we put him in the crate and she saw his behavior there. Then she had us put his collar and leash on and take him out of the crate and then she took over. She somewhat got him to calm down but the craziness was still in his eyes. For some reason when people come to the house, he gets so amped out and he cannot calm down, the adrenaline is just too high.

So ultimately we decided to do a board and train with her for hopefully only 7 days. One of Louieā€™s brothers did it as well as he had a similar behavior and it did wonders for him.

Itā€™s only been one night and I miss him terribly but I know this is for the best and we just do t have the skills to train him in this regard. I got a text this morning that he was settling in just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] I'll bet Louie misses you also! Hope it all works out,and it helps! When you learn the secret-please post it!! I've got 5 that get quite excited,as they rarely see anyone but me!

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
What a great bully mother you are. I know it must be worrisome not seeing him, but the fact that you are willing to spend the money to try to nip this in the bud is commendable as is knowing that he needs the expertise of the trainer. Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So everyone knows Louie is high energy and likes to party. But as time has gone on, we noticed he was getting really bad whenever people came to the house. Last Saturday my parents came over and it was like he was possessed. They couldnā€™t even get through the gate to the living room as he just kept jumping at them and barking and then he was all over them. Absolutely nothing we did calmed him down and when put in the crate, he screamed and barked loudly which is no way way to have company over.

So I contacted the breeder to see if she had a trainer to recommend. She did and she came over yesterday. Well, that was even worse than last Saturday. This tome Louie was actually lunging at her. She wanted to see everything so then we put him in the crate and she saw his behavior there. Then she had us put his collar and leash on and take him out of the crate and then she took over. She somewhat got him to calm down but the craziness was still in his eyes. For some reason when people come to the house, he gets so amped out and he cannot calm down, the adrenaline is just too high.

So ultimately we decided to do a board and train with her for hopefully only 7 days. One of Louieā€™s brothers did it as well as he had a similar behavior and it did wonders for him.

Itā€™s only been one night and I miss him terribly but I know this is for the best and we just do t have the skills to train him in this regard. I got a text this morning that he was settling in just fine.

Crazy Louie! Will she be training you when he returns?

We did this with Banks for and we then had in home training for us to learn how to handle her and keep the training enforced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Crazy Louie! Will she be training you when he returns?

We did this with Banks for and we then had in home training for us to learn how to handle her and keep the training enforced

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Sheā€™ll bring him home and then show us as the training will need to be enforced.

I think Jax is enjoying the peace and quiet! And he got to play with his stuffy toys as normally we have to keep them hidden cause Louie will eat them.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My 2 idiots can get out of control too. When I see people coming over and this does work, I put both in their kennel till they stop n calm down. But...yes a but....I have to tell the people NOT to make eye contact nor speak to them. I would say takes about 20 minutes or wait till they lay down in the kennel. Just before opening the door I stand there and say...no jump.... they come out I make sure Iā€™m standing around the person/people. Basically everyone has to be on the same page. The trick is to ignore them, walk around the area with looking at them..but it is hard as sometimes they tend to forget.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
goodness gracious!!! YES! on the everyone but me!!!!! What or who ever said that Bulldogs were lazy beings???? My son and Hanks dad are the only ones (besides me) that can enjoy HANK! well,,,,,,,, i will say with persistence things have gotton much better but WOW! what a bunch of fruitcakes!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
My 2 idiots can get out of control too. When I see people coming over and this does work, I put both in their kennel till they stop n calm down. But...yes a but....I have to tell the people NOT to make eye contact nor speak to them. I would say takes about 20 minutes or wait till they lay down in the kennel. Just before opening the door I stand there and say...no jump.... they come out I make sure Iā€™m standing around the person/people. Basically everyone has to be on the same page. The trick is to ignore them, walk around the area with looking at them..but it is hard as sometimes they tend to forget.

Thatā€™s what we used to do and Louie would eventually calm down and be fine but as heā€™s gotten older, for some reason he just canā€™t calm down. Itā€™s funny cause heā€™s fine on walks and fine at stores but for some reason people one over and you can see the crazy in his eyes, the adrenaline takes over. He was even using teeth when lunging at the trainer. As much as I miss him, I know it will be good for him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thatā€™s what we used to do and Louie would eventually calm down and be fine but as heā€™s gotten older, for some reason he just canā€™t calm down. Itā€™s funny cause heā€™s fine on walks and fine at stores but for some reason people one over and you can see the crazy in his eyes, the adrenaline takes over. He was even using teeth when lunging at the trainer. As much as I miss him, I know it will be good for him.

Little fart will come back more calm because itā€™s not you training him...GOOD AS NEW....

Hey my 2 would jump from their love seat, bounce once on the floor n bounce back up on the other sofa ( where I sit) right over the top headrest.. onto the floor behind the sofa...like WTH... that needed to stop immediately.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Little fart will come back more calm because itā€™s not you training him...GOOD AS NEW....

Hey my 2 would jump from their love seat, bounce once on the floor n bounce back up on the other sofa ( where I sit) right over the top headrest.. onto the floor behind the sofa...like WTH... that needed to stop immediately.

what on EARTH can be that freeken exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But yes! hate to say but im sooooooooo glad to hear im not the only one with a nutcase over strangers!!! I know they need that exposure but for a whole year, i didnt even want anyone coming over (including my own kids!) as i was so embarrassed :( It's *pretty* much better, or i should say a whole lot better now, but i still see it in his eyes he wants to freek out!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
what on EARTH can be that freeken exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But yes! hate to say but im sooooooooo glad to hear im not the only one with a nutcase over strangers!!! I know they need that exposure but for a whole year, i didnt even want anyone coming over (including my own kids!) as i was so embarrassed :( It's *pretty* much better, or i should say a whole lot better now, but i still see it in his eyes he wants to freek out!!

My son when he comes over without the da cousins, will walk in an ignore both. Basically the trick is to have the visitors ignore them which I can understand itā€™s hard as they are happy to see the dogs. Biggest mistake ppl do is bend down over the dogs as that will get them started like hell. When you bend over them is like youā€™re welcoming them. Why a person should never bend above to pet. I was gone all day...I walked in and never spoke one word to them. Once theyā€™ve calm down Iā€™ll talk to them. They know they cannot jump especially on me or Iā€™ll toss them with my foot and a big NO. It works for sure...just need everyone that walks in doing the same.. sometimes I canā€™t so theyā€™ll get be put in the kennel instead till they calm down.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My son when he comes over without the da cousins, will walk in an ignore both. Basically the trick is to have the visitors ignore them which I can understand itā€™s hard as they are happy to see the dogs. Biggest mistake ppl do is bend down over the dogs as that will get them started like hell. When you bend over them is like youā€™re welcoming them. Why a person should never bend above to pet. I was gone all day...I walked in and never spoke one word to them. Once theyā€™ve calm down Iā€™ll talk to them. They know they cannot jump especially on me or Iā€™ll toss them with my foot and a big NO. It works for sure...just need everyone that walks in doing the same.. sometimes I canā€™t so theyā€™ll get be put in the kennel instead till they calm down.

so right!! and Hank doesnt even bother to get up most of the time when i come home..lol and !!!!!!!! whats really something im not sure i understand is......... When im home, and my son comes over, he is super excited but does behave. If my son comes over and im NOT home, he always sends pictures of mellow yellow Hank just laying there without much greating at all. What is that all about??? And that is a real question

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Funny you say that!
When the 4 dogs are home alone they donā€™t even bark when I come in. But then we can be home and they can see my son walk out the front door and when he re-enters the same front door a couple of minutes later, omg... they will all go running and barking like an intruder has entered the same door. I know they have to smell or know it was him but it never fails! All four go running and barking and it is deafening to say the least especially with the high ceilings in my house.
Bella is the only one who jumps on people when they first come in. Then after a few minutes she donā€™t even bother with them if they wanted her to. We do have a lot of people coming in and and out. She only Has a few that she wonā€™t leave alone when they come.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Got a Louie update last night and a couple videos! Theyā€™ve been working on basic obedience and manners, having him pay attention and check in before he does anything. The trainer is happy with where he is at and heā€™s been responding to the prong collar which means she hasnā€™t had to use a shock collar (thank god).

I want the King to come home, I miss him so much!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Got a Louie update last night and a couple videos! Theyā€™ve been working on basic obedience and manners, having him pay attention and check in before he does anything. The trainer is happy with where he is at and heā€™s been responding to the prong collar which means she hasnā€™t had to use a shock collar (thank god).

I want the King to come home, I miss him so much!!

When is he due home... Friday?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online