Bully Calling Out in the middle of the night!

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi All,

Our very loving (and mostly stubborn!) Bully Coco has decided to start calling out to us in the middle of the night!
She sleeps in the Kitchen behind a stair gate and is let out when we get up in the mornings. When we put her to bed she goes down with no issues but for some reason in the last few weeks has started to wake around 4am - 6am and barks and whines to be let out.
Usually I pop downstairs and tell her off for barking and she stops for an hour or so and then starts again (we repeat this process until we get up)

I dont think she has separation anxiety as when we put her in the kitchen to go to bed there are no problems it seems to be more of a "I am awake and I want to be let out human!"

My question is, is going down and correcting the behavior the correct thing to do or should I try to ignore her (as long as I can before I annoy the neighbors)

We have only had her for three months so it maybe that she is still settling into our routine and getting used to us. (She is a rescue)

Thank you

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i'm commenting because i also want advice on a similar issue. Our rescue (we've had for 2.5 years) sleeps with us but wakes up at the @$$ CRACK OF DAWN. Like old lady time she wakes up at 4 am and wants BREAKFAST. we can get her to go back to sleep until 5 but with daylight savings coming up and my only getting 5 hours of sleep a night, i need to know what someone else might do. I've tried ignoring but it escalates into barking and will continue for an hour, no jokes.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
i'm commenting because i also want advice on a similar issue. Our rescue (we've had for 2.5 years) sleeps with us but wakes up at the @$$ CRACK OF DAWN. Like old lady time she wakes up at 4 am and wants BREAKFAST. we can get her to go back to sleep until 5 but with daylight savings coming up and my only getting 5 hours of sleep a night, i need to know what someone else might do. I've tried ignoring but it escalates into barking and will continue for an hour, no jokes.

Have you tried giving her a snack before bedtime? This works w/my crew if we want to sleep in... Lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi All,

Our very loving (and mostly stubborn!) Bully Coco has decided to start calling out to us in the middle of the night!
She sleeps in the Kitchen behind a stair gate and is let out when we get up in the mornings. When we put her to bed she goes down with no issues but for some reason in the last few weeks has started to wake around 4am - 6am and barks and whines to be let out.
Usually I pop downstairs and tell her off for barking and she stops for an hour or so and then starts again (we repeat this process until we get up)

I dont think she has separation anxiety as when we put her in the kitchen to go to bed there are no problems it seems to be more of a "I am awake and I want to be let out human!"

My question is, is going down and correcting the behavior the correct thing to do or should I try to ignore her (as long as I can before I annoy the neighbors)

We have only had her for three months so it maybe that she is still settling into our routine and getting used to us. (She is a rescue)

Thank you

How old is she? I'm assuming she is able to hold it thru the night... I would ignore it, and see if she finally realizes that this is the new routine.

OP
J

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
She is four years old :) She has cracked the house training as she is a very clever girl and can hold it through the night with no issues. I have gotten up to let her out to see if that is the reason for the barking but she then just goes into garden all excited like it is play time! From what I can make out the only reason for the barking is to get us downstairs! She doesnt need anything! I havent tried the snack before bed, what do you recommend?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs get about a half(or less) hand of their dog food, and one or 2 TBSP of yogurt before bed. They do sleep in my room, so they don't get up until I do.(unless they have a problem) Some give rice cake, or ?.

2018 dogs 2017-11-05 001.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My dogs get about a half(or less) hand of their dog food, and one or 2 TBSP of yogurt before bed. They do sleep in my room, so they don't get up until I do.(unless they have a problem) Some give rice cake, or ?.

View attachment 114027

What a great photo!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi All,

Thank you

She is probably settled in and now starting to show her real behavior,... she wants to be with you so you showing up is reinforcing the calling.

Have you thought about letting her sleep in your room, on a dog bed? Maybe that will help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
J

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Ah that would make sense, my partner and myself are very light sleepers and she snores so loud that having her in the bedroom is not really an option. Also she has never climbed upstairs so I dont think would come upstairs even if allowed.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ah that would make sense, my partner and myself are very light sleepers and she snores so loud that having her in the bedroom is not really an option. Also she has never climbed upstairs so I dont think would come upstairs even if allowed.

Give her a dirty tshirt to sleep with... see if it helps... your scent calm her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.