New Behavior- Peeing only on Bath Mat

CharlieWatts

Sep 23, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie Watts
We have a 9 year old male. He has been completely housebroken since he was 4 months. Since returning from summer cotttage, he has started to mark on the math mats in both of our bathrooms. Totally new behavior.

This is not due to UTI-- he will do this moments after the mat is placed down, he will do it right after he went out for a walk and peed, etc. He is not going anywwere else in the apartment and will NOT go anywhere if mat is up/door closed, etc. Most usually just a little, but I'm not sure what to do. I dnon't want to shame him and really don't want to take up the mats all the time. I ike the way they look!!

Any behavior modification or spray that works? Desperate!
TIA!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We have a 9 year old male. He has been completely housebroken since he was 4 months. Since returning from summer cotttage, he has started to mark on the math mats in both of our bathrooms. Totally new behavior.

This is not due to UTI-- he will do this moments after the mat is placed down, he will do it right after he went out for a walk and peed, etc. He is not going anywwere else in the apartment and will NOT go anywhere if mat is up/door closed, etc. Most usually just a little, but I'm not sure what to do. I dnon't want to shame him and really don't want to take up the mats all the time. I ike the way they look!!

Any behavior modification or spray that works? Desperate!
TIA!

Hi there...just keep the mat up without closing the door n see what he does. Maybe he just wants the cottage life... :)

I wouldnā€™t worry about it. Itā€™s probably just the change from cottage to house. Start by the mat and see what he does. Keep us posted!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Willow does this... and she's been pooping in the bathroom. I just pull up the bath mats until we use them, and I try to make her go potty before bedtime. Eventually she stops... but it's frustrating!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Must modify your behavior slightly to modify his profoundly. Keep the door closed and mats down for the time being. Try this for one month and then open the door and see what happens.
Did he mark the mats at the cottage?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Seems this is not foreign to Bullie behavior. There are a few minor things we may have to change,if that is the least,the dogs are worth it.First, try Chip's suggestion.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Must modify your behavior slightly to modify his profoundly. Keep the door closed and mats down for the time being. Try this for one month and then open the door and see what happens.
Did he mark the mats at the cottage?

Agreed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
For some reason bath mats are quite irresistible for bulldogs. My Tank was really persistent with marking them until 18 months old. He was house trained quick and very good with it. He just couldnā€™t resist bath mats. He knew it was wrong, but did it in front of us. We got so trained by him that automatically closed doors. Now he is 2,5 years old and luckily he stopped doing this ( there was also an episode around 2 yo when he marked carpet in my walk-in wardrobe and i found out about it not immediately, but after several assaults...that was awful).
I would yet scold him a little bit when he does this, so he knows it is wrong, and keep the doors closed. Hopefully after some time he will forget about it.

Meeko

Mar 6, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Waffle
My female English Bulldog is potty trained, but if she is going to have an issue in my house itā€™s on the mat in front of my shower. It seems to be a common problem place among bulldogs. I just wash mine and make sure I keep the bathroom door shut for a while and she stops for awhile. Then eventually it happens again and we start over with keeping the bathroom door shut.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Has anyone just put the mat up or away without closing the door and see what happens? I really donā€™t see what a close door will do aside from not entering as we all know. If a dog is use to roaming around throughout the house and out of nowhere youā€™re preventing him from entering a room, he most probably will pee on that mat again. The issue is the dog with the mat. Train the dog or simply just use the mat when you need it if you donā€™t feel like training a bad behaviour.

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Same here lol. My Jake is 10 and fully potty trained but he marks our bath mats also and his doggy bed. I just removed the one from our upstairs bath because after every time I washed it he just remarked it. The downstairs mat he finally leaves alone. Also we had to throw out his dog bed and left him without one for a few months now that itā€™s cold out we just bought him a new one and so far he hasnā€™t marked it? Good luck he most likely will stop.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
When Mickey was alive he used to pee on anything that he didn't like. The bed he had when I adopted him, the paisley side of my quilt - had to turn it over to the plain side. :whut?:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.