Latest.... Eating the Wall

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Ya’ll - Today my sugar lump was eating the WALL. Guessing he wanted more attention. I have to leave him for a few hours later this week. Soliciting suggestions on how to thwart this before it becomes a problem. He has lots of toys and space to play (plus me). I put red pepper where he was chewing furniture. Nope. Then tried hot sauce on shoes. Nope. ACV on food & solution on wipes. So thinking bitters will not do it either. He’s 6 months & has yet to turn down a new food/flavor.

BTW, he has a new red raised rash to limbs & under pits. Reminds me of mosquito bites. Treating with Nu-Stock until I can get a vet appt. :cry:

P.S. Any ideas how to fix the wood floor molding?
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] suggested training books arrive Friday. Woohoo!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I put my Bella in her crate when I wasn’t home for the first year. Now she is confined to my bedroom when I am not home. She hasn’t had an accident. She hasn’t (chewed anything up while I have left her alone, I know I better knock on wood!)
All the remote controls and sandals she has chewed was when I was home and usually sitting on my bed and apparently not paying enough attention! Lol

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Ya’ll - Today my sugar lump was eating the WALL. Guessing he wanted more attention. I have to leave him for a few hours later this week. Soliciting suggestions on how to thwart this before it becomes a problem. He has lots of toys and space to play (plus me). I put red pepper where he was chewing furniture. Nope. Then tried hot sauce on shoes. Nope. ACV on food & solution on wipes. So thinking bitters will not do it either. He’s 6 months & has yet to turn down a new food/flavor.

BTW, he has a new red raised rash to limbs & under pits. Reminds me of mosquito bites. Treating with Nu-Stock until I can get a vet appt. :cry:

P.S. Any ideas how to fix the wood floor molding?

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] suggested training books arrive Friday. Woohoo!

Uggg sorry for the destruction.....Where are you while he is chewing the molding and furniture? Are you out of the house with him having free run?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Crate or confine him if he cannot be supervised at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18569]Corea99[/MENTION] I definitely agree that your pup should be in the crate when you are not home. When you are home, you need to see where he is and what he is doing, at all times. I have always crated my pups(or had them in a pen) when I could not be home. As they got older,and possibly could be trusted, I would leave them out for short periods,(me-just going outside) at a time. If they did well, little by little,longer periods of time. If you are going to work, they must be crated. Maybe you can come home at lunch,take him out-or know someone who could. Crating ( or having a pen in house) is the only way to keep pups from developing BAD habits, such as chewing things they shouldn't. It is also safer for the pup. All of my dogs are trustworthy,even if I have to leave all day-they never got the chance to develop bad habits-and I am sure other pawrents have used this method,too.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] has laid it out perfectly.....the BEST way to stop bad habits is TO NEVER allow them to begin. 100% eyes on supervision.....or crate was the advice that I received here 3 years ago and it worked perfectly.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with all above, chances are if Finley is chewing wall, he will also chew and possibly swallow remote controls, wiring etc. If you put clear plastic packing tape on wall where he has been chewing he probably won't chew that spot anymore as dogs don't like the feel or smell of it.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] et al: Finley does not have free range. If I am upstairs, he is upstairs. The same goes when downstairs. He also hangs out in whatever room I am in; follows me around. Initially, I left him in the crate when I went out. But discovered he did better enclosed in the kitchen. His crate is located in the kitchen and its left open so he can go in and out. I think he views the locked crate as punishment. He rips up the bedding and soils himself when locked in the crate. This does not happen when he can range the kitchen. That said, the wall corner and molding he chewed up yesterday is in the kitchen where I was on a call. I should also note I took a leave of absence & currently home 24/7. Fingers crossed go back full-time work next month. When working he goes to a sitter & plan to continue.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Agree with all above, chances are if Finley is chewing wall, he will also chew and possibly swallow remote controls, wiring etc. If you put clear plastic packing tape on wall where he has been chewing he probably won't chew that spot anymore as dogs don't like the feel or smell of it.

Clear 2 inch tape? Home is pretty well puppy proofed. The floors are clear and nothing harmful is within reach; except wood molding.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Clear 2 inch tape? Home is pretty well puppy proofed. The floors are clear and nothing harmful is within reach; except wood molding.

Yes the clear 2 inch tape you buy to tape cardboard boxes closed, that you can put on a tape gun.
You can try giving him frozen marrow bones, nylabones, and other chew toys as well. My dog loves playing with the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Sol orange ball.

index.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Dog-Chew-Fetch-Guaranteed-Medium/dp/B00C0LZY08

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] et al: Finley does not have free range. If I am upstairs, he is upstairs. The same goes when downstairs. He also hangs out in whatever room I am in; follows me around. Initially, I left him in the crate when I went out. But discovered he did better enclosed in the kitchen. His crate is located in the kitchen and its left open so he can go in and out. I think he views the locked crate as punishment. He rips up the bedding and soils himself when locked in the crate. This does not happen when he can range the kitchen. That said, the wall corner and molding he chewed up yesterday is in the kitchen where I was on a call. I should also note I took a leave of absence & currently home 24/7. Fingers crossed go back full-time work next month. When working he goes to a sitter & plan to continue.

I’m confused....you said..... I have to leave him for a few hours later this week......

You basically left for a few hours so he was loose. Nothing is wrong with a kennel. It’s also to protect him so he doesn’t chew on wires, fall down the stairs, eat expensive leather shoes! Lol etc...well you get my drift... if he soils himself in the crate cause he’s not trained. He’s a “puppieeeee!” He needs guidance n training. Unfortunately puppies don’t always suits our human’s needs. That’s why we humans have to pitch in and guide our puppies. Can’t throw a diaper on like we do to little human babies.... it’s not easy trust me as I went through all this with Duke...extremely hard Head this one..but heh, I got a puppy so my responsibility to train him.

Regarding the hot sauce on walls n shoes, I were you I sure wouldn’t do that. You will be picking up liquid stools and will aggravate his little organs for no reason. Get a little spray bottle like 4oz bottle, add 1-2oz of water n add essential oil like lemon, eucalyptus, peppermint. Good 10 drops n shake well. Dogs don’t like strong smells. Also maybe leave him in his crate WHILE you are home with close door so he gets use to it n you keep an eye in case he poops. Give him a frozen raw marrow bone in his crate only. He will end up liking his crate. Both my dogs were in their kennel as pups. Door always open unless I left for a few hours here n there. I do work from home most of the time. Much easier and I get where you’re coming from when you will have to go back to work outside. Why you need to train ASAP your dog in his crate before going back to work. That’s my 2cents.... :)

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Thank you

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thank you for your input. Everything went well, much appreciated.

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
The only thing we have found that works consistently vicks vapor rub. We do crate and/or use baby gates also. We have a two year old lab and when she was a puppy our house smelled like a doctors office form all the vapor rub on our trim :w00t:

I just wanted to add that Labs are super smart and EBDs are super stubborn so there really are no "chill" moments at our house. I was at the cable office this week getting a new remote control for the umpteenth time :whistle: Don't get me started on the cats..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The only thing we have found that works consistently vicks vapor rub. We do crate and/or use baby gates also. We have a two year old lab and when she was a puppy our house smelled like a doctors office form all the vapor rub on our trim :w00t:

I just wanted to add that Labs are super smart and EBDs are super stubborn so there really are no "chill" moments at our house. I was at the cable office this week getting a new remote control for the umpteenth time :whistle: Don't get me started on the cats..

Vapor rub!!! Lol lol... multipurpose use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions