Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Background- this week will be my 2 month anniversary with my pup. He is 6 months old.
We have spent the last 10 days together 24/7. Itā€™s been going pretty well until today. Almost a week since his last ā€œaccident!ā€

However, he was brushed today and now he hates/ ignores me. I have attempted several times in the past with different brushes, slow introductions, treats, positive reinforcement, etc. He cowered in the corner for quite sometime, didnā€™t eat, and tremors. What do I do? Finley and my floors look like they belong in a barbershop.

This afternoon I took him to daycare for a few hours while I ran errands. He loved it. Again itā€™s been just the two of us 24/7 for the past 10 days. The daycare owner suggested I not treat him like a person. I think I understand.

My pup ignored me a bit when we got home but slowly started to come around. He wanted to play fetch. I often retrieve the ball when he rolls it under and around the couch. The daycare owner suggested I make him work for it and retrieve it himself. I tried this tonight. Finley is back ignoring me.

I would like to begin brushing his teeth and move forward with other training: commands such as stay and wait, stop humping my leg, chewing furniture, etc. And of course he needs regular brushing. I do not want to traumatize him. Suggestions? Training books? Online training? Guys I need help and guidance. Heā€™s my 1st pup. Help me do the right thing, the right way.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18569]Corea99[/MENTION] must say daycare owner is a smart cookie! Sheā€™s guiding you on the right path. Duke, my white face HATES being groomed. I still cannot cut his nails. Thank gods itā€™s summer n on his walks it shortens the nails. I had all sorts of brushes till someone in here mentioned the Kong zoom groom. Little silicon nipple brush. So I bought it and guess what, Duke lets himself get brushed! It works absolutely fantastic and really does a great job. For training, you canā€™t talk to dogs like you would with a child/human. Stick to one-two words for now. Like no conversations. Dogs donā€™t get long phrases. Keep it very short as dogs goes with the ton of your voice. When you walk in a room or from work or shopping, YOU ignore him like heā€™s doing to you....wait a minute and no eye contact Yes do start with the basic commands. Sit, stay, come etc. do one at a time till heā€™s mastered it. I personally donā€™t use treats. Dogs gets use to treats and expects one each time they do some. A good pat on the head or good boy does the exact same job. A dog needs to do what heā€™s told and not do it cause heā€™ll get a treat. Like a child... bare in mind they are Bulldogs, they are NOT trainable like other dogs. They have harder heads. It will take more time. So patience you will need. Potty training will go great one week n not the next.. ā€œpatienceā€ and donā€™t give up. Heā€™s only 6months old.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thank you so much for replying; and promptness is commendable.
The daycare owner is a fanastic guy. He was a wonderful find. Dogs are his passion and it drips all over him. One of brushes I have is a twin of the Kong Zoom Groom. Now that I am writing this, I wonder if the Safari brush I tried or maybe something occurred at a grooming appointment ruined his idea of brushing. Anyway, I tried the ignoring him as suggested. It worked! Thanks so much. Also, I appreciate the heads up about potty training. Celebrating the little things. Owning I'm a spastic new mom. Sadly, I needed to be told he is not a person/child. Also learned he is not one my patient's. lol
I have noticed he always expecting treats. I have been giving him few but looking for ways to break that habit. Thanks again for your insight. This website/forum is a godsend. Looking forward to additional training suggestions/books/tutoring/etc. from EBN membership.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thank you so much for replying; and promptness is commendable.
The daycare owner is a fanastic guy. He was a wonderful find. Dogs are his passion and it drips all over him. One of brushes I have is a twin of the Kong Zoom Groom. Now that I am writing this, I wonder if the Safari brush I tried or maybe something occurred at a grooming appointment ruined his idea of brushing. Anyway, I tried the ignoring him as suggested. It worked! Thanks so much. Also, I appreciate the heads up about potty training. Celebrating the little things. Owning I'm a spastic new mom. Sadly, I needed to be told he is not a person/child. Also learned he is not one my patient's. lol
I have noticed he always expecting treats. I have been giving him few but looking for ways to break that habit. Thanks again for your insight. This website/forum is a godsend. Looking forward to additional training suggestions/books/tutoring/etc. from EBN membership.

There are a lot of good info in here. I call it bedtime reading. Just type what you want in the search button.

Thank you for the compliment!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bulldogs are very easy offended, and very neurotic dogs, you may imagine person with OCD who gets upset if you try to break their habits. You must try to outsmart them, not force, otherwise they can demonstrate regress in toilet training, become cowardly etc. And yes, they work only on treats. My bulldog can perform many tricks like roll over, play dead, high five etc, but only if I have treats, otherwise he looks at me in dismay and all his face says ā€œare you crazy mom? I wonā€™t jump for nothingā€.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sign up for a puppy kindergarten class... you can socialize your pup, and get advice from a certified trainer regarding how to handle your new pup. It's a great way to learn "how" to handle your new family member.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Background- this week will be my 2 month anniversary with my pup. He is 6 months old.
We have spent the last 10 days together 24/7. Itā€™s been going pretty well until today. Almost a week since his last ā€œaccident!ā€

However, he was brushed today and now he hates/ ignores me. I have attempted several times in the past with different brushes, slow introductions, treats, positive reinforcement, etc. He cowered in the corner for quite sometime, didnā€™t eat, and tremors. What do I do? Finley and my floors look like they belong in a barbershop.

This afternoon I took him to daycare for a few hours while I ran errands. He loved it. Again itā€™s been just the two of us 24/7 for the past 10 days. The daycare owner suggested I not treat him like a person. I think I understand.

My pup ignored me a bit when we got home but slowly started to come around. He wanted to play fetch. I often retrieve the ball when he rolls it under and around the couch. The daycare owner suggested I make him work for it and retrieve it himself. I tried this tonight. Finley is back ignoring me.

I would like to begin brushing his teeth and move forward with other training: commands such as stay and wait, stop humping my leg, chewing furniture, etc. And of course he needs regular brushing. I do not want to traumatize him. Suggestions? Training books? Online training? Guys I need help and guidance. Heā€™s my 1st pup. Help me do the right thing, the right way.

Welcome to EBN! What your experiencing is not anything most of haven't ā€¦ we love these nuggets like they are toddlers, well, they sure resemble toddlers in behavior! [emoji4]

My favorite trainer is Patricia McConnell... I have all her books and use them ā€¦ you can get them online at her website or Amazon. A really easy training technique you can use is called 'Nothing in Life is Free'.

Here are links to the two items I mentioned

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] I am learning how sensitive and neurotic the little guy is. I spent hours and hours researching before he was adopted. None of this was the his stuff was in the text. He is definitely the perfect wrinkly, chunky little nugget for me. We played a game today with his new brush. It went great! Fingers crossed I can spiff him up before the landlord arrives. Lol

How did you teach him tricks? So far we are at sit.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Thank you!
He is a textbook toddle.
Finely: me, me, me, ... squirrel, me, me, mine, ME, crazy lady I said ME!!!
:rofl::girlyes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] I am learning how sensitive and neurotic the little guy is. I spent hours and hours researching before he was adopted. None of this was the his stuff was in the text. He is definitely the perfect wrinkly, chunky little nugget for me. We played a game today with his new brush. It went great! Fingers crossed I can spiff him up before the landlord arrives. Lol

How did you teach him tricks? So far we are at sit.

If he is food motivated, you can train him quickly.Remember not to use their name only the command the shorter the command the easier they learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online