Help Needed! Read previous post & still have questions

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Hi all.

Although I read a number of the previous posts on potty training, etc., I still a have questions. I get that patience AND positive reinforcement are needed. Ignoring ā€œbadā€ behavior is not an issue.

I got my bully at 4 1/2-months and he was not housebroken. It is understood bullyā€™s can be stubborn and it may take up to 2 years. He is 6-months now; and have had him about 1 1/2 months. That said, I have 3 major concerns peeing, humping, and chewing furniture.

He has been doing great with potty training. We average about 1 accident a day. Fingers crossed we will soon make it to the 24 hour mark. I can sense when he needs to go by his behavior. My concern here is 2-fold: 1) how do I get him to ā€œtellā€ me when he has to go?; 2) it seems he is peeing to frequently for his age. He remains afraid of the bells. Sometimes he will walk up to me and stand for a second or two. If I am late getting up, he will walk himself downstairs and pee at the door. I see the latter as progress. He also knows when we go out he should relieve himself. Everytime he does it properly he is praised and receives a treat. He doesnā€™t scratch or bark. Any suggestions on the tell?

On to the 2nd part of peeing. He can sleep overnight up to 8 hours without going. However, during the day, he goes every 2 to 3 hours. What gives? In the past, he has proven he can hold it longer. Water is always available. Sometimes I lead him to water because heā€™s panting lots after play. I am trying to get him on a schedule- 7:30 am & 7:30 pm feeds, getting to bed around 10:30 pm, and so on. Outside of doing the best for him, I hope to return to work soon. Ideally, a dog walker will take him out midday. Currently, if I do not take him out at 2 A.M. puddles appear. Thoughts here?

I would appreciate any advice you have to share. Iā€™m new at this and want to get it right. As the above is a lot, tabling the humping and chewing questions. Thank you

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie wasnā€™t potty trained until about 6 months so I think youā€™re probably on track, some take longer than others. But yes, consistency and praise are key in being successful. Both my guys go to the back door if they need to go out. Basically when they were younger and we were training, we would just always go out the same door for them to go to the bathroom and then just one day they started doing doing it themselves. That being said, there are some dogs that donā€™t necessarily do that and give no indication or maybe they just stare at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18569]Corea99[/MENTION] first remove the water as of 6pm especially at that age. If you can also feed him by 6pm. The other thing heā€™s at the door waiting so thatā€™s a sign. But if youā€™re sleeping, hey..... when I got Duke at 3months old, I also had issues like you. It hit me after how much work puppies are. Iā€™m a firm believer NO dogs in my bed. Never did never will... but...yes a but....

After screwing around for a few months him not wanting to be trained, I decided to put him in my bed. Big blanket length wise n pillows on the opposite side so he doesnā€™t fall. I have a high bed. Would you believe the little bast*rd never got up whatsoever???? So he slept with me for a couple months. Bladder got ā€œtrainedā€ to hold it in cause he was way toooo comfortable in a warm bed n having my presence there. Get up every morning at 5-6am, stood out there till he was done with his # 1+2, then he got a GOOD BOY with a back scratched...and breakfast at 7am. Couple hrs back out for another #1+2... I work from home so in the day itā€™s a bit easier at that age. You will really need someone to take him out at noonish till you get home. So there thatā€™s what I did n worked out. Btw I kept him in my bed for a couple months till I couldnā€™t handle the snoring and breathing in my face. :no:

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Cbrugs- Thank you lots for responding. The side ribbon lists you as a judge. I have a million questions.

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Thanks for the tip. There is an overwhelming amount of ā€œinformationā€ floating on the web.

Like you, I do not want my pup in my bed. Whenever we lay on the floor together he angles his bum at my head. No thank you. Besides, he becomes possessed an hour before he goes down for the night. The little guy manically chases imaginary things. He is more hyper than toddlers jacked up on sugar! It doesnā€™t matter what the day was like, he does the same maniac chase each and every night. Also, he has learned that he is able to hop on my bed. The little guy spent a few days calculating whether or not he could achieve it. It was too funny watching him ā€œdo the mathā€ & collect courage. Each time I returned him to his on little bed. After about the fifth try he understood. The things they learn at daycare!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He is more hyper than toddlers jacked up on sugar? Hasn't met Duke n Louie! [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]! Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Corea99 :welcome:to EBN! It sounds to me like your pup is doing very well! Don't forget, being 4 1/2 mo. he got a later start a potty training. I always took mine out several times when they were tiny, and then one time during the night,(at that age, until I was sure they could make it through.) As far as the "zoomies" most of the bullies get those "spells" morning and evening! All of mine did, and once they get older, they usually grow out of it. I usuaLLY had 2 pups at once, and I loved it when they got the zoomies-such a good laugh! I miss the zoomies!
My dogs very rarely "ask" to go out. They will come and stare at me,but,being at home, they pretty much have certain time to go out. One or two will occasionally hit the bell! Sounds like you:yes: are doing a good job with Finley-keep up the good work. The Bullies take longer to "housebreak" than any other breed I have had-and you are doing well!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If you can take him out every hour, or as often as you can, give a lot of treats and appraisals when he wees outside loudly saying ā€œyou made a wee, or a poop, what a good boyā€. He will learn that words wee and poop means. My dog knows these words and I can ask him if he wants to go for a wee, and he will bark. He was toilet trained quickly and has no accidents now, but I still didnā€™t figure out any reliable sign that he needs to go out. If I think he looks agitated I ask him and if he really needs, he will bark loudly. But on his own he doesnā€™t have special behaviour to indicate he wants to go out for toilet. He responds on my words wee and poop.
I think you must also show him that you are not happy when he wees on the floor. He will get contrast between ā€œscolding ā€œ and appraisal very quick.
I also used training pads while potty training him, bcs it is better to throw away pad than wipe and clean the floor.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Would you be able to crate train him at night? I know it doesn't work with all dogs but if he has a certain place that he knows he will sleep in and can't get out until you let him out...he might hold his bladder until the door is open for him. Then you can take him straight outside from the crate.

Good luck with your little guy either way :)

OP
Corea99

Corea99

Aug 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finley
Zoomies :D:haha::

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online