Zoomies right after dinner

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor has started to play right after dinner time. He will run back and forth, chasing his soft toys and shaking them in true predator style, and even if we don't throw the toys, he manages to chase them on his own.

Castor doesn't play very often, so it's really nice to see how he enjoys his toys and how quick and energetic he can be. The problem is that these bursts of energy always happen right after dinner. We really want him to play but not so soon after he's eaten as he quite often will throw up if he plays then. Obviously, it doesn't help telling him to rest after dinner and he doesn't understand why we don't want to play with him right then.

What do you think? Is this normal bulldog zoomie style and we just have to accept that he might throw up or should we hinder him from playing when he wants to play? We don't want to take his toys away or restrict him to a room with no toys or people as he's always had full access to the house and to his things.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I know how cute are onsets of zoomies in bulldogs, but I would still try to distract Castor from playing rough after dinner. Except for vomiting, there is another much more dangerous pathology that can happen as a result of active play after dinner - GDV or bloat, itā€™s fast developing and very dangerous disease, kind of twisting of stomach and then it fills with gases and can cause death. It can develop in Bulldogs. Thatā€™s why it is not even good to go for a walk right after meal. In case itā€™s absolutely impossible to curb Castors zoomies, I would choose to go for a walk with him after eating, at least he lifts paw, sniffs, and is less crazy active than playing.
P.S. interesting, why he started to behave like this lately. Did you change food? Sometimes food with high amount of carbs can cause burst of activity in dogs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was thinking the same thing... take him fir a short walk or distraction for about 30 minuets after eat ... or get him worn out BEFORE he eats and maybe the zooming will occur later before bedtime instead of after dinner.

My two nap after eating and then right before bed... they have like a ten minute ā€˜smack down ā€˜ wrestling match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Funny you mentioned this... BOTH of mine do the SAME thing. They run around the house w/toys right after eating... honestly I just ignore them, and let Walter have his varsity ball outside several hours later.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I just wrote a reply that disappeared... so will try again! Many thanks for reminding us about bloat. Good article! We have been trying to talk to the dog about dansers but he doesn't listen! I'll read him the article:D

We've had a very hot and dry summer (warmest one since they started keeping weather records here in 1756) and perhaps that is the reason. Our walks have been shorter than usual (although Castor hasn't seemed to mind the heat too much). Evenings have not been cool, but at least a little less warm, so perhaps he has saved up energy all day and then released it right after dinner time! The last few days, however, we've had rain and temperaturen are down to 20 degrees C, but Castor is still trying to play.

We will definitely try to hinder his play right after dinner. We always feed him after his walks (now over summer, we've even waited an hour after walks) and his normal behaviour has always been to eat and then nap.

I know how cute are onsets of zoomies in bulldogs, but I would still try to distract Castor from playing rough after dinner. Except for vomiting, there is another much more dangerous pathology that can happen as a result of active play after dinner - GDV or bloat, itā€™s fast developing and very dangerous disease, kind of twisting of stomach and then it fills with gases and can cause death. It can develop in Bulldogs. Thatā€™s why it is not even good to go for a walk right after meal. In case itā€™s absolutely impossible to curb Castors zoomies, I would choose to go for a walk with him after eating, at least he lifts paw, sniffs, and is less crazy active than playing.
P.S. interesting, why he started to behave like this lately. Did you change food? Sometimes food with high amount of carbs can cause burst of activity in dogs.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for your suggestions! What Lambeau and Cheli do is what I would like to see here too - much better than our current situation!

Nonetheless, it's nice to see him play so we just need to fix the timing. Our gentle little boy is like a vicious monster when he goes for his toys and he does sleep well afterwards.

I was thinking the same thing... take him fir a short walk or distraction for about 30 minuets after eat ... or get him worn out BEFORE he eats and maybe the zooming will occur later before bedtime instead of after dinner.

My two nap after eating and then right before bed... they have like a ten minute ā€˜smack down ā€˜ wrestling match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Funny you mentioned this... BOTH of mine do the SAME thing. They run around the house w/toys right after eating... honestly I just ignore them, and let Walter have his varsity ball outside several hours later.

Great to know we're not alone! I see you are in Tennessee, where I suppose it's hot. Is this a summer thing, so they play in the evening because it's too hot in the day, or do Walter and Willow play after dinner all year round? As I wrote above, we've had an unusually hot summer this year so we've been starting to think that can be the explanation.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Great to know we're not alone! I see you are in Tennessee, where I suppose it's hot. Is this a summer thing, so they play in the evening because it's too hot in the day, or do Walter and Willow play after dinner all year round? As I wrote above, we've had an unusually hot summer this year so we've been starting to think that can be the explanation.

It has been miserable here ALL summer, actually it's starting to cool off here in the high 80s. They have been doing this for awhile, but not after breakfast... we have to get up early to get their human sissy off to school.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
It has been miserable here ALL summer, actually it's starting to cool off here in the high 80s. They have been doing this for awhile, but not after breakfast... we have to get up early to get their human sissy off to school.

Oh dear, well, it hasn't been that high here - mid-80s or so but that's warm here. Now down to more normal summer temps of high 60s.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Gee, it's hotter here that at your place [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]. You are in the cool north :whew: [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] maybe you can give Castor a little of his food, let him play, and when he is finished, give him the rest of it!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Gee, it's hotter here that at your place @ddnene. You are in the cool north :whew: @cefe13 maybe you can give Castor a little of his food, let him play, and when he is finished, give him the rest of it!

Good idea!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.