General Question peeing on rugs

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I have my bulldog for a while now and never had any issues at all except one minor thing. No matter what if I get him a bed or if I have a rug down in the house he will explore on it. Won’t do it in the carpet or the regular floor just any dog beds, blankets, or floor rugs. I could leave him home all day witb no bed on the floor and he won’t go inside the house but a day or two after he starts using the bed again it happens

Now sure if anyone has delt witb this or knows of ways of ways to fix the issue but thanks.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have my bulldog for a while now and never had any issues at all except one minor thing. No matter what if I get him a bed or if I have a rug down in the house he will explore on it. Won’t do it in the carpet or the regular floor just any dog beds, blankets, or floor rugs. I could leave him home all day witb no bed on the floor and he won’t go inside the house but a day or two after he starts using the bed again it happens

Now sure if anyone has delt witb this or knows of ways of ways to fix the issue but thanks.

You tried removing rugs n beds permanently? See what happens.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I adopted a 5 yr old female when she was retired from breeding. Same issue and
could never break her of this. She had to sleep on the carpet, no dog bed, no
towels or bedding in her crate, etc.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Remove beds, blankets, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
We had exactly the same with our rescue bully he was used for breading. After about 7 weeks of rotating beds and making sure they cleaned and all pee smells removed (Purchased a special cleaner from Amazon to do the trick) she did finally stop and use her beds as beds. We did however remove the beds at night and only gave them to her when we could correct the behavior to let her know it was not ok to go to the toilet here.

Interestingly if we put a blanket or a towel down now (ontop of the bed) or on the floor, she will wee on it!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
one of our 4 will pee on anything inside her kennel. Her kennel is her domain and anything in it will get marked...simple as that. So she sleeps in a bare kennel. We have another girl that will chew anything in her kennel so we have a Kuranda bed for her...pretty much unchewable. She never chews anything outside her kennel.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
one of our 4 will pee on anything inside her kennel. Her kennel is her domain and anything in it will get marked...simple as that. So she sleeps in a bare kennel. We have another girl that will chew anything in her kennel so we have a Kuranda bed for her...pretty much unchewable. She never chews anything outside her kennel.

Louie gets a bare kennel because he literally ate part of the blanket that was in there and destroyed several crate pads.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=9134]Owens[/MENTION]...Your Zeus is a cutie-pie and sounds well behaved-ENJOY HIM!

He isn't being mistreated to sleep on bare floors without a bed. And WELCOME to EBN :)

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco

Hey did you manage to get around this issue or did you remove the beds and rugs in the end? We have rescued a 4 year old ex breading girl and she has been doing the same behaviour on and off since we got her over two months ago. The strangest thing I find is that she actually then sleeps on the bed after she has weed on it! I didn't think bulldogs would sleep where they mess.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Most dogs don't like to. Only ones I've had that did that were the EB's.Lucky for me, and them, They grew out of it. It is the only solution(if they don't grow out of it) is Kuranda,or Coolaroo.) Or nothing! Mine had one particular "dog" blanket, that everyone liked to pee on. I threw it away, and that stopped!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hey did you manage to get around this issue or did you remove the beds and rugs in the end? We have rescued a 4 year old ex breading girl and she has been doing the same behaviour on and off since we got her over two months ago. The strangest thing I find is that she actually then sleeps on the bed after she has weed on it! I didn't think bulldogs would sleep where they mess.

Bulldogs are famous for peeing on rugs and even their own bed. Other breeds usually don’t do it, if they pee on bed, they are probably so sick they just can’t get up. But not with bulldogs. There is something strange about this breed. My male bulldog did it 3 or 4 times in his first 18 months of life. Two times it was in broad daylight, he was looking at me and did this. No reasonable explanation- he wasn’t sick, his bladder wasn’t full, nothing. He learnt toilet skills extremely fast and easy and it wasn’t an accident. Just looks in my eyes and does it. I think it’s just particularly bulldog thing. Luckily it didn’t happen lately, for 6 months. Many members complain that their bulldogs cannot have bed because they pee on it. And yes, they don’t mind getting into peed bed. Piglets.

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Bulldogs are famous for peeing on rugs and even their own bed. Other breeds usually don’t do it, if they pee on bed, they are probably so sick they just can’t get up. But not with bulldogs. There is something strange about this breed. My male bulldog did it 3 or 4 times in his first 18 months of life. Two times it was in broad daylight, he was looking at me and did this. No reasonable explanation- he wasn’t sick, his bladder wasn’t full, nothing. He learnt toilet skills extremely fast and easy and it wasn’t an accident. Just looks in my eyes and does it. I think it’s just particularly bulldog thing. Luckily it didn’t happen lately, for 6 months. Many members complain that their bulldogs cannot have bed because they pee on it. And yes, they don’t mind getting into peed bed. Piglets.

Ah thank you for the above, we did have two weeks with no issues at all and then three nights in a row she decided to go in her bed! We removed the bed last night and we had a dry clean night (Although we did have some wining and barking in protest about the lack of bed) we will try again tonight with no bed. We have actually gone out and brought a new waterproof bed so if it does happen again when we introduce the bed its not so much of a hassle

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco

Ah thank you, we have removed the bed and have had no more accidents overnight for nearly two weeks now! so It would seem we are on the right track. I am just not sure weather to reintroduce the bed or not.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah thank you, we have removed the bed and have had no more accidents overnight for nearly two weeks now! so It would seem we are on the right track. I am just not sure weather to reintroduce the bed or not.

Not until fully house trained... then give it a shot. Some dogs regardless of breed just cant have bedding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.