Bulldog barking when leaving the house

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi All,

Coco has started to bark when we leave her alone in the house. Coco has her own area in the kitchen which she sleeps in and also spends time during the day when we are in the house. During the night and the day whilst we are in the house there is no barking when she is put in this area.

When we go to leave the house we have the same routine of putting her in her normal area behind a stair gate as we do in the day when we are there and the evenings when we go to bed. When we leave the house though she seems to become distressed. She is starts panting, wining and barking. We have installed a camera to see how she is getting on whilst we are out of the house and this is how we found out about the barking.

I am not 100% sure if it is separation anxiety as she doesn't do it at night or in the day whilst we are in the house and she can't see us. We have started to regularly go through the process of putting her in the kitchen and leaving the house for a few mins and then returning. After we return we don't make a fuss of her for around 5 mins to try and normalize the coming and going process. Today I have managed to increase the time limit whilst I am sat outside in the car enjoying a cup of tea for around half an hour with no barking or crying.

Is there anything we should be doing / thinking about to make Coco feel more calm and accepting of the situation that she is not going to be around us every hour of the day. The process we are going through at the moment does seem to be working but just want to make sure we have all basis covered.

Thanks,

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like you are doing the right thing. There are also pheremone collars, or plug-ins, that is supposed to help with things like this,though I haven't had the need to try them. If she is not a chewer, you might also try putting an old previously worn(unwashed)coat,or shirt with her.Others here may have some more ideas.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I put some dog treats into a Omega Tricky Treat Ball and roll it away from door when I go out. There's lots of other treat dispensing dog toys like that. I also play music on the radio while I'm out.

OP
J

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Thank you all for your responses. My wife had the idea of a second doggo as well!
We will keep pushing on with her, she has a bit of a protest when we leave and if we put the treat ball down she will not touch it until we return!

I think it’s just a case of getting her used to us leaving and it becoming the norm.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi All,

Coco has started to bark when we leave her alone in the house. Coco has her own area in the kitchen which she sleeps in and also spends time during the day when we are in the house. During the night and the day whilst we are in the house there is no barking when she is put in this area.

When we go to leave the house we have the same routine of putting her in her normal area behind a stair gate as we do in the day when we are there and the evenings when we go to bed. When we leave the house though she seems to become distressed. She is starts panting, wining and barking. We have installed a camera to see how she is getting on whilst we are out of the house and this is how we found out about the barking.

I am not 100% sure if it is separation anxiety as she doesn't do it at night or in the day whilst we are in the house and she can't see us. We have started to regularly go through the process of putting her in the kitchen and leaving the house for a few mins and then returning. After we return we don't make a fuss of her for around 5 mins to try and normalize the coming and going process. Today I have managed to increase the time limit whilst I am sat outside in the car enjoying a cup of tea for around half an hour with no barking or crying.

Is there anything we should be doing / thinking about to make Coco feel more calm and accepting of the situation that she is not going to be around us every hour of the day. The process we are going through at the moment does seem to be working but just want to make sure we have all basis covered.

Thanks,

You are doing the exact right thing... slowly increase the time you are gone and she will settle in. TV or music playing is always a good option to.

OP
J

JordBully

Jul 13, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Thank you all, we seemed to have cracked it after a few days she is now very accepting of the fact that this is part of the routine and she has even started taking herself off to the kitchen when she realizes we are starting to get ready to go out.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.