elikelley

May 4, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zira
We have a 9 week old olde english bulldogge we got about a week ago. The only behavior we have seen that is concerning us is she will occasionally bark and growl at us when she is tired (we know she is tired because when she calms down, she will fall asleep right away). We have tried different methods including ignoring, gentle "no's", firm "no's", and physically dominating her until she relaxes. All have worked at least once but none seem to consistently work. We would love any advice on how to train this out of her.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
hi and welcome :) Im sure you''ll get some great advice real soon. LOTs of good experience here. Hanks my first bulldog and i've learned so much here and dont know if i could have made it without these peoples help. Love a picture of your sweetie growl baby. Im sure all will work out with some good direction :)

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Are you sure she isnā€™t just playing? They do have a pretty fierce sounding growl. Some people (who donā€™t have a bulldog) think they are being mean but itā€™s just their way of talking.
I have a boxer too that makes that scary sounding vocal sound. We have had a few boxers that have all done the same. Bella is our first EBD but I think itā€™s normal!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie barks and growls when he plays. Has done so since he was a puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

elikelley

May 4, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zira
As an update, neither my fiancee nor myself believe it is an aggressive thing, more like a baby/toddler that gets really tired and crabby. After talking about it and doing some reading we have agreed that the best response is probably to ignore her. So we have agreed to ignore her and when she calms down, we will pet her and she usually falls asleep pretty soon after that. This has worked well so far. Any other ideas or opinions would be helpful though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As an update, neither my fiancee nor myself believe it is an aggressive thing, more like a baby/toddler that gets really tired and crabby. After talking about it and doing some reading we have agreed that the best response is probably to ignore her. So we have agreed to ignore her and when she calms down, we will pet her and she usually falls asleep pretty soon after that. This has worked well so far. Any other ideas or opinions would be helpful though.

At 9 weeks of age... it is typically puppy behavior.

Start using 'nothing in life is free'.... it is an easy and great training technique that let's them know you are boos and they have to work for everything they want.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ioral/33985-life-free-training-technique.html

Members online

No members online now.